As a business owner, you may have to travel often for work. Between meetings, rushing to get to the gate in time, and trying to get work done during a layover, that can be stressful.
But signing up for a travel rewards card can actually improve your experience. You can get perks like airport lounge access and travel insurance, giving you peace of mind. But what card makes the most sense?
The Amex Business Platinum is a great option for business owners due to the perks that it offers. Below, learn about the Amex Business Platinum’s benefits and how to get the most value from your card.
About the Amex Business Platinum
The Amex Business Platinum Card is an elite card for business owners. With a $595 (See rates and fees) annual fee, it has a steep price tag, but it offers valuable rewards and benefits that could offset the cost.
With it, you’ll earn 5X points per $1 spent on flights and prepaid hotels on Amextravel.com. You’ll also get 1.5X points per $1 spent on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more, and 1X points per $1 spent on all other purchases.
You can redeem your points in a variety of ways, including using your points to pay at checkout at select retailers, gift cards, statement credits, travel arrangements, and point transfers to Amex’s airline and hotel partners. Though the exact dollar value of each point varies based on how you redeem it, points are generally worth one cent each. That means if you earn the 100,000-point welcome bonus, it could be worth up to $750.
One thing to keep in mind is that, unlike the Amex Platinum Card, the Business version of the card does not offer Uber credits. If you frequently use Uber for business travel, that could be a significant drawback.
13 valuable Amex Business Platinum benefits
The Amex Business Platinum Card offers valuable rewards for all cardholders. Check out these standout benefits.
1. Generous welcome offer
Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on purchases within the first 3 months. That bonus has a redemption value of up to $750.
2. 35% airline bonus
Use your rewards points to book first- and business-class flights on your chosen qualifying airline or through Amex Travel and you’ll get 35% of those points back, for up to 500,000 points back per calendar year. Points are credited to your account within six to 10 weeks after eligible airfare purchases appear on your billing statement.
3. $200 annual Dell statement credit
If you’re planning on upgrading your company’s technology, you’re in luck: You can get up to $200 in statement credits when you use your card to pay for Dell purchases, such as laptops, monitors, or work stations.
4. American Express Global Lounge Collection
When you travel for business, being able to find a quiet place to work with reliable WiFi is important. Access to airport lounges is a luxury that can help you relax or stay productive.
With your card, you’ll get complimentary access to more than 1,200 airport lounges worldwide. You’ll enjoy amenities like free WiFi, beverages, snacks, and dedicated workspaces.
To put that into perspective, day passes at airport lounges typically cost between $29 and $75. If you travel often, getting free lounge access can save you a significant amount of money over time.
5. $200 airline fee credit
Choose a qualifying airline and use your card to pay for incidental fees, such as in-flight refreshments and baggage fees, and you’ll get statement credits worth up to $200. You must select the airline ahead of time to qualify for the statement credit, and you can select a new airline each year in January.
6. Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
Airport security can be a nightmare, but expedited security programs like Global Entry or TSA PreCheck can help you speed through the process. Use your card to pay for your application fee, and you’ll receive a statement credit up to $100.
7. Fine Hotels & Resorts perks
Book your hotel stay through Amex’s Fine Hotels & Resorts program and you’ll get perks like complimentary breakfast, early or late check-ins, and room upgrades. You could even get credits to access hotel amenities, valued at up to $100.
8. Elite status at Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton properties
As an Amex Business Platinum cardholder, you get Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status without having to meet any stay requirements. As a Gold Elite Status member, you’ll enjoy benefits like room upgrades, free late checkout, complimentary WiFi, and a welcome gift.
You’re also given automatic Hilton Honors Gold Status. If you stay at a Hilton-brand hotel, you could get room upgrades, late checkouts, complimentary breakfast, and more.
9. Business Platinum Card Concierge
As a cardmember, you can use the Business Platinum Card Concierge to handle certain tasks, such as arranging lunch meetings. You can contact the concierge via phone or email.
10. Preferred Seating Program
At select cultural and sporting events, you can get premium seats that are set aside exclusively for American Express cardholders. This can be a useful perk if you’re looking for an entertainment option for business clients, as you could score great seats that would otherwise be unavailable.
11. Global Dining Collection
You can get access to special reservations at restaurants all over the world. As a cardholder, you can also enjoy special experiences, such as chef meet and greets.
12. Business Platinum Travel Service
If you need help making travel arrangements, you can get complimentary assistance through the Business Platinum Travel Service. The representatives will offer recommendations and help you create custom itineraries.
13. Premium car rental privileges
You’ll get complimentary membership to premium car rental programs with Avis, Hertz, and National, giving you access to special discounts and upgrades, when available.
The Amex Business Platinum Card has some unique benefits for business owners. However, it also offers other perks that are typical of elite rewards cards that can help you save on travel and shopping.
- No foreign transaction fees: The Amex Business Platinum has no foreign transaction fees, so you don’t have to worry about extra charges when traveling outside the U.S. or making online purchases with international retailers.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance: Decline the rental car company’s insurance, and you’ll get secondary coverage against damage and theft.
- Baggage insurance: Use your card to pay for your fare and baggage that is lost, stolen, or damaged will be covered. Get up to $2,000 for checked baggage and up to $3,000 for both checked and carry-on luggage.
- Premium Global Assist Hotline: If you need assistance when traveling overseas, you can call the American Express credit cards hotline to get medical, legal, or financial referrals.
- Extended warranty: Eligible purchases will have their warranties extended by up to one additional year.
- Purchase protection: When you make a purchase with your Card, you’re covered for 90 days against damage, loss, and theft, up to $10,000 per occurrence and up to $50,000 per account per calendar year.
Is the Amex Business Platinum right for you?
If you’re a business owner looking for a premium rewards card, the Amex Business Platinum Card may be a great fit for you.
It offers a robust rewards program, and it has significant benefits that can enhance business travel and provide extra protection for your business. If you travel frequently for work, you could potentially offset the annual fee, making it well worth the expense.
Premium Business Rewards
- 100,000 point welcome offer
- 5X points on qualifying flight and hotel purchases
- 1.5X points on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more
- Up to $200 statement credit per year for airline incidental fees
- Terms apply
- See rates and fees