As the competition among premium credit cards grows, users are scrutinizing sign-up incentives and card benefits, hoping to access unique, high-value experiences. Among the top luxury cards is The Platinum Card® from American Express, or Amex Platinum for short.
If you’re considering this highly-rated card, you might be wondering how Amex Platinum compares to its competitors. To help you figure out if this is the best travel rewards card for you, here’s everything you need to know about Amex Platinum benefits.
Overview: American Express Platinum Card
The personal Platinum Card from American Express is a rewards card that is especially valuable if you travel often and like to do so in style.
|$695. Terms apply.
|Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $8,000 on purchases on your new card in the first 6 months
|5X points per dollar spent on eligible airfare (on up to $500,000 per calendar year, after that 1X) and eligible hotel purchases, and 1X points per dollar on all other eligible purchases
|Recommended credit score
|Foreign transaction fee
While it demands a hefty $695 annual fee, it's not a typical card. Traditional credit cards have a set spending limit, while the amount you can spend with the Amex Platinum adapts based on factors such as your purchase, payment, and credit history. The Amex Platinum also allows you to carry a balance for certain charges.
If you're looking for rewards cards with no foreign transaction fees, you can put this one on your list. There are no foreign transaction fees when using the card abroad, making it a handy companion on international trips.
There are various ways to redeem Amex Platinum Membership Rewards points. You can apply points toward purchases already on your card or use points for:
- Transferring points to a partner program or booking travel via American Express Travel (amextravel.com)
- Gift cards
- Cover your card charges (not necessarily cash back, but one of the closest redemptions you can get to it on the Amex Platinum)
- Merchandise on MembershipRewards.com
- Online and in-store purchases at participating stores (such as Amazon)
- Charitable donations
Amex makes earning and redeeming points convenient through its Membership Rewards program — but the points system is just the beginning of the perks you can receive with this card.
16 attractive Amex Platinum benefits
Although the high annual fee ($695) might put off even the most frequent flyers and travelers, the American Express Platinum Card offers an array of high-value travel perks, annual credits, and other benefits that are hard to ignore. Between the rewards earnings and all these benefits, this card may pay for itself and provide additional value beyond that in just the first year.
1. Welcome offer (value: varies by redemption)
If you’re in the market for a new card and expect to make a large purchase or a series of purchases within the first few months of card membership, this welcome bonus might be worthwhile.
The Amex Platinum comes with a generous welcome offer if your eligible purchases meet the minimum spend requirement. Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $8,000 on purchases on your new card in the first 6 months.
2. Airline fee credit (value: up to $200)
If you dream of free checked bags, you might be in luck with the Amex Platinum. Cardholders can get up to $200 per calendar year in incidental airline fees to help offset the cost of things such as checked bags and in-flight food and beverages.
To take advantage of this valuable credit, you'll need to select a qualifying airline and use your card for qualifying incidental fees or in-flight purchases. This can help to ensure that you're credited for eligible costs.
3. Uber Cash and VIP status (value: up to $200)
Primary cardmembers can receive $15 in Uber Cash per month on U.S. rides or U.S. Uber Eats orders, plus an additional $20 bonus in December.
To take advantage of this Amex Platinum perk, make sure you have the most current version of the Uber app on your smartphone, an Uber account, and your Amex Platinum card set as a method of payment. This will help ensure that you receive your Uber Cash each month.
4. Hotel credit (value: up to $200)
In addition to some coveted hotel perks, which we'll cover in a minute, you can also get a $200 hotel credit as an Amex Platinum cardmember.
When you use your card to prepay for hotel stays through Amex Travel at eligible properties in the Fine Hotels & Resorts or The Hotel Collection portfolios, you can get up to $200 in statement credit each year. Keep in mind that this benefit requires a minimum two-night stay if staying at a The Hotel Collection property.
There are over 2,000 properties in the Fine Hotels & Resorts and The Hotel Collection, so you have plenty of options to choose from, which can make it easy to take advantage of this credit.
5. TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit (value: up to $100)
Travelers who are itching to avoid long security lines can receive an application fee credit for either TSA PreCheck or Global Entry. This credit can be used after 4.5 years or 4 years, respectively.
To get the statement credit for PreCheck or Global Entry, you must use your Amex Platinum card when paying for your application. This benefit also extends to additional cards under the enrolled account.
6. CLEAR® Plus credit (value: up to $189)
The Amex Platinum can make it a little easier to breeze through the airport and long lines at select stadiums.
When you use your Platinum card to pay for your CLEAR® Plus membership, you can get up to $189 in statement credit each year. Keep in mind that you must enroll in CLEAR, but taking advantage of this credit can offset the membership cost as an annual CLEAR® Plus membership could cost $189.
7. Digital entertainment credit (value: up to $240)
Whether you're streaming your favorite show or reading the newspaper or an ebook online, you may be able to take advantage of a digital entertainment credit of up to $240. Keep in mind that this benefit requires enrollment.
When you use your Amex Platinum card to pay for a qualifying purchase with Disney+, The Disney Bundle, Hulu, ESPN+, Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times, you can receive up to $20 back as a statement credit each month.
8. Equinox fitness club credit (value: up to $300)
Equinox and American Express teamed up to offer Platinum cardmembers a valuable statement credit of up to $300. The up to $300 Equinox credit benefit requires enrollment in an eligible Equinox membership.
You can use your Platinum Card to pay for an eligible Equinox digital or club membership to receive up to $25 in statement credit each month.
9. SoulCycle at-home bike credit (value: up to $300 per bike)
If you have an Equinox+ membership, you can purchase a SoulCycle at-home bike with your Platinum card and receive a $300 statement credit.
You can use this benefit up to 15 times per year. The purchase must be made in full at the Equinox Amex Bike Benefit page in one transaction with your American Express Platinum card.
10. Walmart+ credits (value: up to $155 plus taxes)
American Express and Walmart partnered to offer statement credits when you use your Platinum card for a monthly Walmart+ subscription.
Pay for this subscription with your Platinum card, you can receive up to $12.95 back per month plus any applicable local sales tax amount. Walmart+ members get free shipping on Walmart items with no order minimum, free grocery delivery from local Walmart stores, pharmacy savings, and gas savings.
Keep in mind that enrolling in a monthly Walmart+ subscription is required.
11. Saks Fifth Avenue credits (value: up to $100)
Amex partnered with premium retail store Saks Fifth Avenue to give Platinum cardholders $100 in annual shopping credit ($50 credit from January to June and another $50 credit from July to December). You must enroll in this benefit in order to activate the credits.
Keep in mind that certain purchases don’t apply, such as Saks Fifth Avenue gift cards, in-store restaurant purchases, in-store or online Saks Fifth outlet purchases, and purchases shipped outside of the U.S.
12. Airport lounge access (value: varies by location)
Whether you’re taking a break from busy airport terminals or treating yourself to premium food and beverages, waiting in a comfortable space before boarding your flight can make or break your travel experience.
With the Amex Platinum card, you can access the Global Lounge Collection. This is one of the largest networks of airport lounges, with over 1,400 locations in more than 140 countries.
In addition to the Amex suite of lounges, like the esteemed Centurion Lounge, cardholders can also receive a complimentary Priority Pass Select membership and access certain partner lounges depending on their boarding pass. These include the Delta Sky Club, Escape Lounges, Lufthansa Lounges, and Plaza Premium Lounges. Select benefits require enrollment.
There's one caveat to be aware of, though, and it went into effect on Feb 1, 2023: There's a $50 fee per guest at the Centurion Lounges unless you spend over $75,000 on your card per year.
13. Hotel perks (value: up to $600)
No premium card is complete without additional benefits for hotel stays. When you book a qualified stay at American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts using your card, you may receive several benefits such as:
- Room upgrades
- Breakfast for you and a guest, daily
- Complimentary experience credit valued at $100 or more
- Late check-out until 4 p.m.
- Early check-in at 12 p.m., if available
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
These benefits offer an average total value of $600 for a two-night stay at one of more than 1,300 properties worldwide. The actual value you receive will vary by property, room, upgrade availability, and more.
Aside from the benefits above, qualifying reservations through Amex’s The Hotel Collection network — which includes hotels like Hilton and Hyatt — also offer you a complimentary room upgrade. This benefit extends to up to three booked rooms in your reservation.
14. Complimentary elite status (value: varies by location and benefits)
The hotel perks continue with hotel status with both the Hilton Honors and Marriott Bonvoy loyalty programs. You can receive Hilton Honors Gold status and Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status. Keep in mind that enrollment is required for both benefits.
Here’s a quick breakdown of what benefits are included with your Hilton Honors Gold status and Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status:
|Hilton Honors Gold
|Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Some highlights of these benefits include the potentially free room upgrades and earning bonus points from either hotel chain. In addition, the fifth night free and free continental breakfast at eligible Hilton hotels can be valuable. For Marriott, the late checkout time and a welcome gift of points are helpful. You will need to enroll (for free) to take advantage of these status perks.
You also receive special car rental privileges with different providers, including Avis, Hertz, and National. Enrollment is required for select benefits.
15. Authorized users (value: varies)
Additional authorized users cost $195 each.
Authorized users receive access to many of their own benefits, including:
- Fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Complimentary access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection (including Priority Pass Lounges)
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status
- Hilton Honors Gold status
- Select benefits require enrollment
16. International airline program (value: varies)
Amex Platinum cardholders can enjoy savings on international first, business, and premium economy seats on over 20 world-class airlines using the International Airline Program. You must be traveling on the itinerary, and travel must originate in, and return to, the U.S.
Additional perks to enjoy
As a card issuer, Amex has really packed a lot into this card. The Amex Platinum provides show-stopping benefits and annual statement credits, and it also has other benefits you’d expect from a luxury travel card. Here are a few more useful benefits you’ll have as a cardholder:
- Concierge service: Whether you’re looking for a unique gift or want to make reservations at an exclusive restaurant, an Amex Platinum card gives you access to an around-the-clock concierge hotline.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance1: Amex Platinum car rental insurance covers loss and damage to eligible rental cars when you decline collision damage coverage through the rental company.
- Baggage insurance2: If your baggage is lost, damaged, or stolen, you may be covered for up to $2,000 for checked bags and a total $3,000 for checked and carry-on luggage. A $10,000 aggregate limit applies to New York residents for everyone traveling on a covered trip.
- Extended warranty protection3: New items purchased with your American Express cards get up to an additional year of extended warranty protection added to original U.S. manufacturer warranties.
- Return protection4: If a retailer refuses your return, Amex provides a 90-day return window for eligible purchases up to $300 (excludes shipping and handling). This benefit covers a maximum $1,000 in total returns per calendar year.
- Purchase protection5: Have the peace of mind in knowing that eligible purchases using your Amex Platinum card are protected for up to 90 days from the purchase date. This includes protection in the event of damage, theft, or lost goods.
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance6: Can help with reimbursement for nonrefundable expenses purchased with your card if you have an eligible reason for canceling or interrupting your trip.
- Cell phone protection7: Can help reimburse you for the cost to repair or replace a stolen or damaged eligible cell phone.
- Membership experiences: Get first dibs on presale tickets to music concerts, events, and shows. The card also provides access to preferred seating at special events.
- Amex Offers: American Express cardholders can get exclusive access to savings on a wide variety of purchases through the Amex Offers program.
The Amex Platinum card often makes the list of the best cards, and it could be a good fit for you and your lifestyle, depending on your travel habits and how actively you take advantage of the perks. One thing is for certain, this card offers some of the most luxurious perks in the industry.
And don't forget, American Express also offers The Business Platinum Card® from American Express as well. And if the Platinum Card feels like too much to you, make sure to check out the American Express® Gold Card.
For some of the best credit cards we recommend for travel, check out our list of the best travel cards.
How do I use my Amex Platinum credit on Uber?
To use your Uber credit on your Amex Platinum, download the Uber app, create an Uber account, and add your Amex Platinum as a payment method. Enroll in this benefit then you’ll automatically receive $15 in Uber Cash each month, and a $20 bonus in December, on your account. That’s a total of $200 in Uber Cash that can be used on Uber rides or UberEats orders.
What credit score is needed for the Amex Platinum?
You typically need a good or excellent credit score to qualify for the Amex Platinum. The FICO scoring model has good credit scores starting at 670, while excellent scores are 800 and above. The VantageScore model starts good credit scores at 661 and excellent scores at 781.
How many airport lounges can I access with the Amex Platinum card?
After enrollment, the Amex Platinum card provides access to over 1,400 airport lounges worldwide. This includes lounges in over 140 countries in the Priority Pass, Delta Sky Club, The Centurion Lounge, Escape Lounges, The International American Express Lounges, and Air Space lounge networks.
The right travel card for you is the one that matches your interests and spending habits, allowing you to earn valuable rewards and travel the way you like — for less. Learn more about these top cards and choose the one that's best for you:
- For no annual fee: Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- For flexible points and travel partners: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- For airport lounge access: Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
- For unlimited 3X points in popular categories: Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card
- For business travel: Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Luxury Travel Benefits
Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $8,000 on purchases on your new card in the first 6 months
5X points per dollar spent on eligible airfare (on up to $500,000 per calendar year, after that 1X) and eligible hotel purchases, and 1X points per dollar on all other eligible purchases