Traveling overseas from the United States can be incredibly expensive. From the airfare to the taxes and surcharges to checked-bag fees, flying across the Atlantic may feel out of reach to you. The British Airways Visa Signature Card is a great card to help you knock down those costs.
With the British Airways Visa Signature Card, you’ll earn valuable points known as Avios that you can use to book award flights on over a dozen different airlines. The flexibility of using Avios with different airlines makes them a great frequent-flyer program to invest in.
In this British Airways Visa Signature Card review, you’ll learn about the card’s benefits, as well as how to earn more Avios so you can take your next flight to Europe (or elsewhere around the globe) for much less expense than you anticipated.
Earn Avios & Fly the World
- Up to 100,000 bonus Avios sign-up offer
- Opportunity to earn a Travel Together Ticket valid for 2 years for a travel companion
- No foreign transaction fee
- Has annual fee
- Maximum value limited to those who fly British Airways or Oneworld partners
Who should get this card?
This British Airways Visa Signature Card is great for international travelers. With this card, you’ll earn rewards in the form of Avios. You can use your Avios on Oneworld Alliance airlines such as Cathay Pacific, Iberia, and many others, as well as British Airways partners such as Aer Lingus. You can also redeem your Avios for seat upgrades, hotel stays, car rentals, experiences, and more. So while earning may only seem useful for frequent flyers, it’s also advantageous for those who may not fly as often but are looking to optimize their spending with valuable rewards.
Because of the wide variety of airlines you’ll be able to choose from to use your Avios, this card is clearly meant for people who like having options while flying. However, you don’t need to be a constant traveler to benefit from this card. With a low annual fee of $95, the rewards earnings from purchases and other card perks can easily justify this cost.
And if you’re indeed looking to do a bit of spending overseas, the British Airways Visa Signature Card doesn’t have foreign transaction fees. So you can continue to earn more Avios without the stress of extra charges.
|Sign-Up Bonus||Earn up to 100,000 bonus Avios: 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, and another 50,000 after spending $20,000 in the first year after account opening|
|Recommended Credit Score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
Top card benefits
- Generous welcome offer: Earn up to 100,000 bonus Avios: 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, and another 50,000 after spending $20,000 in the first year after account opening.
- Great earnings for your purchases: When you use this card, you’ll earn 3X Avios on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL; 2X Avios on hotel accommodations; and 1X Avios on all other purchases.
- Travel Together Ticket: If you make $30,000 in purchases in one calendar year, you’ll score a Travel Together Ticket that’s good for two years. You can buy a seat in any class for yourself, and your traveling companion will come along for free (not counting any taxes, fees, or carrier charges that may apply).
- Oneworld Alliance: If British Airways isn’t the particular airline you want to fly, you have plenty of flexibility due to British Airways being part of the Oneworld Alliance. That means you can use your Avios to book with other airlines, such as American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, and more.
- Limited-time discount: If you book a flight before March 31, 2020, any British Airways flight that starts in the United States will be 10% off when you use your British Airways Visa Signature Card. Be sure to use the promotion code CHASEBA10 at checkout.
- Insurance coverages: With the British Airways Visa Signature Card, you’ll have several different travel coverages, including auto rental collision damage waiver (secondary coverage), baggage delay insurance, and lost luggage reimbursement. This will cover you in case something happens to your rental car or if your luggage is temporarily or permanently lost.
- No foreign transaction fees: When you’re traveling abroad, you can use your British Airways Visa Signature Card without any foreign transaction fees.
Earning & redeeming
Of course, there are the traditional methods of earning Avios: flying with airlines that earn Avios and spending using your British Airways credit card. However, there are other ways you can use this card to score even more Avios.
Best ways to earn
When it comes to earning Avios by making purchases with the British Airways Visa Signature Card, here are the earning categories you’ll have:
|Purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Iberia||Three Avios per $1|
(when booked directly with the hotel)
|Two Avios per $1|
|Everything else||One Avios per $1|
There are additional ways to earn Avios as well. For example, you can earn one Avios per $1 spent — with a minimum earning of 500 British Airways Avios — when you rent a car from Avis. If you rent four or more times in one year, you can collect an extra 1,000 Avios. These rewards can all be earned without the British Airways Visa Signature Card — but if you use the British Airways Visa Signature Card, you can earn an extra 250 Avios. You can do all this by booking through the British Airways portal.
If you’re staying at an Airbnb on your travels, British Airways has a portal link where you can instantly earn one Avios per $1 spent on Airbnb. So if you spend $200 on an Airbnb, you can earn 200 Avios simply by using its link.
There’s also the British Airways Avios eStore online shopping portal. Next time you’re looking to buy from retailers such as Apple, Bloomingdale’s, or Macy’s, be sure to go through this portal. You may be able to earn extra Avios for the same purchase you were going to make anyway.
Maximizing your redemptions
While British Airways is a fantastic airline, there’s one large sore spot for many travelers: surcharges. When you book using your Avios on British Airways, you may be thinking you’re on your way to a nearly free flight. Unfortunately, there are surcharges that come along with that booking.
For example, here’s a booking I attempted from New York City to London (as of Sep. 24, 2019):
As you can see, I would still be charged $347 on top of the 33,000 Avios. The Avios cover the price of the flight itself, while the additional cash is to cover the surcharges. In comparison, a similar flight with Delta Air Lines would only cost roughly $178 in surcharges (as of Sep. 24, 2019).
So when it comes to maximizing your redemptions with the British Airways Visa Signature Card, be wary that British Airways does have some pretty hefty surcharges that will appear during your booking. Take advantage of British Airways’ participation in the Oneworld Alliance to shop around for airlines with lower surcharges to make the best use of your Avios.
Does the British Airways Visa Signature Card have a foreign transaction fee?
Nope! Feel free to spend outside of the United States without any fear of foreign transaction fees.
Is the British Airways Visa Card worth it?
This is a great card for someone looking to fly using Avios on British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, or any of the Oneworld Alliance airlines. With a low annual fee and high potential for earning points, this card is an excellent option.
Can I earn British Airways Avios with other cards?
In a roundabout way, yes. For example, with the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, you’ll earn Chase Ultimate Rewards, but these points can then be transferred to British Airways Avios at a 1:1 ratio.
How do I keep BA Avios from expiring?
As long as you earn, spend, purchase, or share one Avios point every 36 months, your Avios account will stay active.
Other cards to consider
If the British Airways Visa Signature Card isn’t quite what you’re looking for, there are other options to earn Avios.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card is known as one of the best travel credit cards. With this card, you can earn 60,000 points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. These points can be transferred to Chase Ultimate Rewards travel partners — and British Airways is one of them. This means all the points you earn with this card can be moved to your Avios account at a 1:1 ratio. With broad spending categories like travel and dining, the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card can get you in the air with British Airways using reward miles in no time.
If you’re a foodie, the American Express Gold Card is an absolute must-have. With this charge card, you can score American Express Membership Rewards that can also be transferred to British Airways. With the American Express Gold Card, you’ll earn 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per year) and at restaurants worldwide, 3X on flights booked directly with airlines or on Amextravel.com, and 1X on all other eligible purchases. You’ll also have a great list of perks, including a $10-per-month dining credit toward participating restaurants and services, $100 airline fee credit, and no foreign transaction fees.
Earn Avios & Fly the World
Earn up to 100,000 bonus Avios: 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, and another 50,000 after spending $20,000 in the first year after account opening
See how these cards compare:
Chase Sapphire Preferred
- 60,000 point sign-up bonus
- 2X points on eligible dining and travel purchases
- 25% more value when redeeming rewards for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Premium travel protection benefits
- No foreign transaction fees
American Express Gold Card
- 35,000 Membership Rewards point welcome offer
- High rewards rate in certain categories
- Up to $100 airline fee credit
- No foreign transaction fee
- Terms apply