If you find yourself staying at certain hotels in one brand family, it can make sense to sign up for the loyalty program. You’ll be able to earn rewards by staying at a variety of hotels — and be able to redeem at hotels in the brand family. You might also get access to additional perks, such as rental car upgrades.
The Wyndham Rewards program is one such opportunity to take advantage of your loyalty to a hotel brand family. Here’s what you need to know if you’re considering joining Wyndham’s program and how can enhance your status with the right credit cards.
Overview: Wyndham Rewards program
Wyndham Rewards is the program offered by the Wyndham hotel family and offers perks in exchange for frequent stays. It’s free to join, and you don’t have to pay a fee to remain a member.
You can earn rewards by staying at participating hotels and redeem your points later for free hotel stays, activities, gift cards, or even gas discounts. On top of that, you may also get access to additional perks, such as rental car upgrades, room upgrades, and more.
The hotel brands owned by Wyndham include:
|La Quinta||Tryp||Trademark Collection|
|Days Inn||Howard Johnson||Dolce Hotels & Resorts|
|Hawthorn Suites||Wyndham Grand||Dazzler|
|Wingate||Wyndham Garden||Esplendor Boutique Hotels|
There are a range of hotels, from budget choices to more exclusive and expensive hotels and resorts. This allows consumers with different budget needs the opportunity to participate in the rewards program.
Wyndham Rewards tiers, explained
As with many loyalty programs. Wyndham Rewards comes with different tiers. Each level comes with particular benefits and perks. However, the higher the tier, the harder it is to qualify. Here’s what you need to know about each membership level.
Once you enroll, you get access to this tier. You can receive savings at the Blue level, since you can get the Best Available Rate at more than 8,000 Wyndham properties (with the exception of La Quinta). Other perks include:
- Free Wi-Fi
- Rollover nights never expire
- When you book an award night in a participating city, you can get a small discount on a local experience
You receive 10 points per dollar spent on each qualified stay, or 1,000 points — whichever is greater. This can help you earn points faster, even when you stay at less-expensive hotels.
In order to reach Gold tier, you need to stay just five nights. As with the Blue level, you get access to the Best Available Rate in participating properties. You also get the same perks, like free Wi-Fi. However, you get extra benefits, too, including:
- $10 discount on a local experience when you book an award night in a participating city
- Dedicated member services, allowing you more personalized service
- Preferred room choice
- Late checkout
Plus, you get accelerated earning on qualified stays. You get 10% more points on those stays, helping you boost your ability to receive rewards you can redeem.
Once you stay 15 nights, you’re moved into the Platinum level. This level is where you start seeing additional perks that go beyond just what you get for staying at a hotel. In addition to all the same benefits seen at the Gold level, you also get:
- Early check-in
- Caesars Rewards Status Match, allowing you take advantage of perks at Caesars Entertainment casinos
- Free upgrades on car rentals through Budget or Avis (when available)
As you can see, the extra perks can be quite valuable once you reach this tier. You also earn 15% more points for qualifying stays.
The highest membership level is Diamond, which can be attained by staying 40 nights. In addition to the perks offered at the Gold level, the Diamond level comes with the following:
- Two free tickets to a local experience when you book an award night in a participating city
- Get upgraded to a suite each time you stay, even if you’re using an award night
- Receive a complimentary beverage or snack at participating hotels when you check in
- Gift a Gold membership to a family member or friend each calendar year
You also earn points faster, receiving 20% more bonus points for qualifying stays. If you have Diamond status, you can get extra perks and enjoy the ability to earn award nights faster.
How to qualify for premium membership tiers faster
If you want to move up to a higher membership tier more quickly, one of the easiest ways is to get a Wyndham Rewards Earner Card or Wyndham Rewards Earner Plus Card. Each card comes with an automatic bump in status, as well as a way to earn free nights faster by accelerating the speed at which you earn points. The two credit cards share a similar name but differ in the fees they charge, so do a comparison to find the best hotel credit card for you.
The no-annual-fee credit card comes with automatic Gold status. Some of the ways you can earn points faster include:
- Earn 30,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days
- 5X points for eligible gas purchases and participating By Wyndham hotels, Wyndham Vacation Rental North America properties, and Wyndham timeshare properties
- 2X points on eligible dining and grocery store purchases (excluding Target and Walmart)
- 1X points on all other purchases
With the help of this card, you start out with Gold perks and can quickly earn points so you can redeem for free nights faster. You could even use this as a balance transfer card, since it offers an introductory APR (annual percentage rate) of 0% for transfers posted in the first 45 days from account opening, and this rate lasts for the first 15 billing cycles (then 16.49% to 25.74% (variable)).
This version of the card comes with a $75 annual fee, but the perks might be worth it, especially if you travel frequently and stay at Wyndham properties. Plus, you get Platinum status immediately by having this card.
Here’s how you can supercharge your ability to earn reward points with this credit card:
- Earn 45,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days
- 6X points on participating By Wyndham hotels, Wyndham Vacation Rental North America properties, Wyndham timeshare properties, and gas purchases
- 4X points on eligible dining and grocery store purchases (excluding Target and Walmart)
- 1X points on all other purchases
- Receive 6,000 bonus points on your cardmember anniversary
This card also comes with the same intro APR of 0% for transfers posted in the first 45 days from account opening, and that lasts for 15 months (then 17.24% to 26.49% (variable)).
Match your status from another hotel loyalty program
Perhaps an even simpler way to earn elite status with Wyndham is to use your memberships with other hotel brands.
If you’ve already earned an elite membership status in another hotel’s loyalty program, Wyndham will match that status to an equivalent Wyndham Rewards level. Memberships with brands like Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, and Marriott are honored. To start, just visit Wyndham’s status match page and sign in.
Note that the status match is only good for 90 days. To maintain your new elite membership with Wyndham, you’ll need to stay seven to 14 nights in those first three months. Then your elite status will be activated for the normal amount of time.
Wyndham Rewards FAQs
If you’re considering joining Wyndham Rewards, here are some things you need to know.
Do Wydham points expire?
Points expire four years after being posted to your account. However, your points will expire due to account inactivity as well. Wyndham can cancel your points if you don’t have any account activity for 18 consecutive months; it can also terminate your account if there’s no account activity for five consecutive years.
Can I transfer points?
You can transfer your Wyndham points on a 1:1 basis with La Quinta Returns. It’s also possible to transfer your Wyndham Rewards points to Caesars Rewards at a 1:1 ratio. This allows you access to a Vegas-style rewards program, offering perks like free play and gourmet meals.
It’s also possible to transfer points to other travel partners, sometimes with extra benefits. For example, you might be able to get double miles when you transfer your Wyndham points to United during certain promotions. Other travel partners include:
|Air Canada||Fortune Wings Club|
|Air China||Frontier Airlines|
|American Airlines||Hawaiian Airlines|
Redemption with these partners starts at 6,000 Wyndham points.
Can I pool points with others?
You can’t transfer your points to others or pool your points.
How much are Wyndham points worth?
The value of Wyndham points depends on the value of the night you redeem the points. You might receive a value of up to 1.2 cents — or more — each for free nights.
If you redeem 7,500 points for a one-night stay at a hotel that would normally cost $71 per night, you see a value of about 0.9 cents per point. On the other hand, if you redeem 10,000 points for a room that would normally cost $121, you’re closer to that 1.2 cents value.
The value of your points depends on the property, as well as when you choose to stay the night. You’ll get a better deal when you stay on weeknights or at certain properties.
How many points do I need for a free night at Wyndham?
Free nights start at just 7,500 points, and you can also get discounted nights for 1,500 points (plus cash). This helps you start redeeming and reaping the rewards even if you don’t have a ton of points.
If you stay at Wyndham properties frequently, you can get rewarded by using the loyalty program. Earn points toward free nights and even get extra perks as you progress up membership tiers. Since it doesn’t cost anything to join, you can receive free perks for travel you’d be doing anyway. Finally, enhance your rewards with a Wyndham credit card or one of the best travel credit cards that will allow you to transfer or pool your points.
Earn Rewards for Wyndham Stays
Wyndham Rewards Earner Plus Card
Wyndham Rewards Earner Plus Card
45,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days
6X points at participating By Wyndham properties and gas purchases; 4X on eligible dining and grocery store purchases (excluding Target and Walmart); 1X on everything else
- Earn up to 45,000 bonus points
- Earn up to 6X points on eligible purchases
- Automatic Wyndham Rewards Platinum level membership
- Earn 7,500 bonus points each year on account anniversary
- No foreign transaction fee
- Has annual fee
- Best suited for loyal Wyndham customers
- 45,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days
- 6X points at participating By Wyndham properties and gas purchases; 4X on eligible dining and grocery store purchases (excluding Target and Walmart); 1X on everything else
- Intro purchase 0% APR offer: 0% on Wyndham timeshare purchases for 6 billing cycles then 17.24% to 26.49% (variable)
- Intro balance transfer 0% APR offer: 0% for transfers posted in the first 45 days from account opening for 15 months then 17.24% to 26.49% (variable)