We love a good side hustle here at FinanceBuzz and this gig is so tasty you'll want to lick the bowl...
July is National Ice Cream Month, and to celebrate the upcoming occasion FinanceBuzz is looking to hire an Ice Cream Flavor Evaluation Specialist for a year-long study. The perfect candidate will be tasked with eating ice cream for a year and rating flavors for us. We'll not only pay you $1,000 to do this, we'll also pay for the ice cream.
Why we're paying someone $1,000 to eat ice cream
Ice cream is one of the most beloved desserts in America, with sales topping $6.8 billion last year and 45% of people calling it their favorite indulgence.
In the world of ice cream, two names stand above the rest: Ben & Jerry. Last year Ben & Jerry's was the top selling ice cream brand in the United States with over $800 million dollars in sales. Despite all their success, the company isn't content to just keep selling the same ice cream flavors. Last year — even in the midst of a pandemic — the team released almost 40 new products!
Buying all these flavors to try them for yourself could easily add $200 or more to your grocery bill. FinanceBuzz wants to help our readers make the most of their dessert budget by finding out which pints are most deserving of their hard-earned money. That's why we're on the hunt for an ice cream taster.
With so many flavors to choose from, FinanceBuzz is looking for someone ready to eat their way through the catalog of Ben & Jerry's flavors to help us rank their flavors. This important work will help ice cream lovers everywhere decide which pints to pick up the next time they go to the grocery store.
You'll choose a different flavor of Ben & Jerry's frozen treats to try every week for a year. After you've given it a thorough taste test (bowl optional), you'll give us the "scoop" on the product by rating important attributes like creaminess, distribution of add-ins, and intensity of flavor.
What you can get
FinanceBuzz will provide our chosen Ice Cream Flavor Evaluation Specialist a $500 gift card to your local grocery store to cover the costs of the ice cream, along with $1,000 for your year of eating and rating.
How to apply
So do you think you have the stamina, stomach, and taste buds to take on this tasty side hustle? If so, fill out the form below and tell us why you’re the perfect person for the job!
Applications are due by July 31, 2021 at midnight ET — the last day of National Ice Cream Month. The chosen candidate will be selected by August 15, 2021 and contacted via email. We will also update this page to announce our winner.
Applicants should be based in the United States and at least 18 years of age. This program is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by Ben & Jerry's.
More side hustles
While you wait to see if you get the gig, there are plenty of other ways to earn some extra cash. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Find a side hustle. From making deliveries to playing with dogs to answering survey questions, there are lots of ways to make some supplemental income. Find your perfect side hustle.
- Walk the dog. For the animal lover looking for some extra cash while playing with puppies, Rover is a perfect match. The app connects pet owners that need some help watching their furry friends with pet walkers and sitters. If that sounds like the perfect fit for you, read our Rover review to learn more or click here to get started with Rover.
- Get paid for your opinion. Getting paid to take surveys is a tried and true way to make money online. Sites like Survey Junkie and Branded Surveys will pay you for your opinion on all kinds of topics - not just ice cream.
- Shop for other people. Grocery delivery services have become increasingly common in recent years, with Instacart being one of the most recognizable names in the game. To get started (and maybe grab some ice cream for yourself while you’re at it), be sure to check out our guide to earning money as an Instacart shopper.
Saving money at the grocery store
A pint of ice cream - the good stuff - can cost you $5 or more. If you just can't get enough, there are ways to help cut the cost of your grocery bill without cutting coupons.
- Get rewarded for your sweet tooth. A number of credit cards offer shoppers cashback rewards on groceries, and our team has compiled a list of the best cards for buying groceries.
- Earn gift cards for your everyday purchases. Fetch Rewards is an app that will give you rewards just for scanning your receipts from stores in the retail, grocery, and restaurant categories. Scanning receipts earns you credits that can be traded in for gift cards. To learn more about earning points and gift cards with Fetch, check out our comprehensive guide to using Fetch or download the Fetch app now.
- Get cash back with Ibotta. Ibotta is an app that gives users cash back when they make qualifying purchases as places you’re probably shopping anyway, including many grocery stores. The app is easy to use and rewards can be cashed out a number of ways, including PayPal and Venmo. Learn more about Ibotta here or sign up to start saving.