While driving in New York City is no picnic, the rest of New York State has historic towns and natural beauty perfect for exploring. Unfortunately, the high cost of car insurance in The Empire State, especially if you’re a high-risk or new driver, might make you think twice about hitting the road.
- Key takeaways
- Best car insurance companies in New York
- USAA: Highest customer satisfaction
- State Farm: Best for new drivers
- GEICO: Best for high-risk drivers
- Allstate: Best for new cars
- Progressive: Most affordable coverage
- New York auto insurance requirements
- How to choose a car insurance provider in New York
- How much does car insurance cost in New York?
- New York car insurance rates by city
- FAQs about car insurance costs in New York
- The best car insurance in New York by customer satisfaction is USAA, which costs $1,880 yearly for comprehensive coverage.
- Drivers with a clean driving record pay an average of $219 per month in New York.
- Progressive has the cheapest full coverage insurance, an average of $1,198 annually.
Best car insurance companies in New York
Drivers in New York pay an average of $2,634 a year for full coverage car insurance and $1,615 for the state’s minimum coverage. Progressive had the cheapest average full coverage on our list, but GEICO had the lowest cost minimum liability insurance. Nationwide had the highest annual full and minimum coverage options, averaging $3,093 and $1,736, respectively.
|J.D. Power customer satisfaction rating
|Estimated annual full coverage
|Estimated annual minimum liability coverage
USAA: Highest customer satisfaction
USAA earned the highest customer satisfaction rating in New York but is not the state’s most affordable coverage provider. While only current and former military members and their families are eligible for a policy, USAA offers a good mix of standard coverage and discounts if you qualify.
- USAA had the highest customer satisfaction rating in New York
- It offers various discounts, including insuring more than one vehicle with USAA
- USAA policies are not available to everyone
- You may find more cost-effective options with a competitor
State Farm: Best for new drivers
State Farm had relatively high costs for average full coverage insurance, an average of $1,994 per year. However, it earned the second-highest customer satisfaction score in New York and offers a discount of up to 25% for new drivers.
- It offers a discount of up to 25% for new drivers
- State Farm earned a high customer satisfaction score
- State Farm had the second-highest cost for minimum coverage in New York
- It does not offer accident forgiveness coverage
GEICO: Best for high-risk drivers
High-risk drivers in New York pay an average of $3,280 yearly for car insurance. GEICO may be a good option for those with DUIs or at-fault accidents since it might offer better rates to high-risk drivers. It also had the lowest minimum coverage in New York but earned average customer service scores.
- GEICO has the lowest average cost of minimum liability coverage in New York
- It has multiple discounts that can help you lower your insurance premiums
- GEICO does not have some coverage options like vanishing deductible
- You may find lower-cost options for full coverage insurance with a competitor
Allstate: Best for new cars
Allstate is generally a more expensive option in New York, costing an average of $2,405 yearly for full coverage. However, it may be worth it for those who just purchased or leased a new vehicle. Allstate’s gap coverage can help you avoid a financial mess if your new car is stolen or in an accident while paying it off.
- Allstate offers multiple policy options, including a vanishing deductible
- It has multiple discount options that could help you save some money
- Allstate had below-average customer service scores in New York
- It had the second most expensive full coverage in the state
Progressive: Most affordable coverage
Progressive is the lowest-cost option for full coverage car insurance in New York. Customers pay an average of $1,198 yearly for full coverage, compared to the state average of $2,634. Its minimum coverage was the third lowest on our list, costing an average of $1,051 annually. However, Progressive earned the second-lowest customer satisfaction score on our list of the best car insurance companies.
- Progressive had the lowest cost full coverage car insurance in New York
- It has some specialty options, including a vanishing deductible program
- Progressive earned the second-lowest customer satisfaction score in New York
- You’ll likely find lower minimum coverage costs with some competitors
New York auto insurance requirements
Like many states in the U.S., New York drivers are required to carry minimum levels of insurance to drive legally:
- $10,000 property damage for a single accident
- $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for death for a person involved in an accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury and $100,000 for the death of two or more people in an accident
How to choose a car insurance provider in New York
Finding reasonably priced car insurance in New York may take some work. If you’re looking for a new insurance provider, consider the following:
- Compare quotes: Get quotes from multiple companies and compare them to ensure policy amounts, coverage options, and discounts are the same or similar.
- Research the company: Before starting a policy, research the carrier’s financial stability on a website like Standard & Poor’s or AM Best. It’s also wise to check with the New York State Department of Financial Services or the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) to confirm a company is licensed in New York.
- Look at reviews: Check review websites like the Better Business Bureau or talk to family and friends to see what existing customers say.
How much does car insurance cost in New York?
The average cost of car insurance in New York is $2,634 a year for full coverage, compared to the national average of $1,582. Minimum coverage in New York costs an average of $1,615 annually.
Drivers in the Big Apple are likely to pay the most, an average of $3,430 a year for full coverage, while Rochester residents pay the least, an average of $1,566 yearly.
New York car insurance rates by city
Your city's population is one factor that may result in higher insurance rates since more people on the road can increase the probability of accidents. Syracuse, for example, currently has a population of 146,103, and residents spend an average of $1,734 yearly for car insurance. However, Yonkers has a population of 209,530, and residents pay almost double for their car insurance ($3,006 annually).
|Avg. annual full-coverage premium
Our analysis was conducted using six different auto insurance marketplaces to determine the best auto insurance in each state. The data we analyzed included coverage premiums from up to 10 different insurance providers. We looked at rates by city, driver profile, and credit score, as well as factored in the impact of driving violations. This data is for comparative purposes only. Your actual quote may be different.
FAQs about car insurance costs in New York
What are the minimum car insurance coverage requirements in New York?
Drivers in New York must carry at least $10,000 for property damage in a single accident and $25,000 for bodily injury ($50,000 for death) to a person involved in an accident. They must also carry $50,000 for bodily injury ($100,000 for death) of two or more people in an accident.
How much does car insurance cost in New York?
Car insurance in New York costs an average of $2,634 yearly for full coverage insurance and $1,615 annually for minimum coverage.
Which car insurance companies cover New York?
Many nationally recognized car insurance companies cover New York, including USAA, Progressive, State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide, and GEICO.
What is the cheapest car insurance company in New York?
The cheapest full coverage car insurance in New York is Progressive, with an average of $1,198 annually. The most affordable minimum coverage in New York is GEICO, which costs $930 annually.