When people think of Progressive, they might think of Flo, the fictional character with the bouffant hair and the white outfit, who has been the brand’s mascot since 2008.
But Progressive offers more than a friendly mascot. The insurer provides policies for many types of cars and motorized vehicles, plus coverage for your home, pet, and more. Progressive also uses the Name Your Price tool to differentiate itself from other insurers by allowing you to find a car insurance policy based on how much you’d like to pay.
But would the price you name save you money? Let’s take a deeper look into what Progressive offers and whether it might be worth your consideration.
Progressive auto insurance: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: Progressive auto insurance may be good for people who have a strict budget thanks to the Name Your Price tool, which might help find coverage that fits their budget. However, Progressive ranks below average for customer service and claim satisfaction, so you might have a smoother experience with other insurers.|
What is Progressive?
Progressive Corporation was founded in 1937 by Joseph Lewis and Jack Green, two lawyers who hoped to provide vehicle owners with the security and protection of auto insurance.
The company grew to become the third-largest insurance company in the U.S. by market share and generated over $45 billion in total revenue in 2021. The Ohio-based insurer is also the country's number one commercial auto insurance provider by market share.
Over 18 million people get their insurance policies through Progressive. The company offers its insurance online and through over 35,000 independent insurance agencies nationwide.
|Types of coverage||
|Where you can use it||
|Availability||Coverage is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.|
What insurance does Progressive offer?
Progressive offers a wide range of coverages that you could include in your auto insurance policy. However, some coverages might be state-specific, so make sure to confirm the availability of specific coverage you need.
Auto insurance options
Progressive provides auto insurance policies for drivers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
While availability may vary, the company might offer the following coverages in your area:
- Liability: Liability insurance helps to cover any damage or injuries caused to another vehicle if you are in an accident in which you’re at fault. Most states legally require drivers to carry a certain level of physical injury and property damage liability insurance.
- Collision: If you get in an accident, collision insurance helps pay for damages to your vehicle. This coverage pays for damages regardless of whether you were at fault.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive insurance will assist in paying to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged in a non-collision event outside your control. For example, if you hit a deer, your comprehensive insurance covers the repairs your car needs. Other covered events include acts of nature, vandalism, and theft.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: Although most states require drivers to carry liability insurance, not everyone follows the rules. Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance protects you if your car is hit by someone who doesn’t have insurance or if the driver who hits you doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the cost of the damages or injuries.
- Medical payments: This form of coverage aids in paying your medical bills if you were in an accident, even if you were at fault.
- Loan or lease payoff: Helps pay for the value of your car if it was totaled in an accident while you still had payments remaining on it or it was leased.
- Rental car reimbursement: If you get in an accident and your car needs to be repaired, this coverage kicks in to help you pay for a rental car.
- Rideshare coverage: Progressive requires this coverage if you use your vehicle for a rideshare service. It would help protect you when the insurance provided by the rideshare company you drive for might not cover you.
- Custom parts and equipment value insurance: This optional coverage protects custom equipment or parts you added to your car and helps pay for replacements if they were damaged in an accident.
- Roadside assistance: Roadside assistance could come in handy if your car gets a flat tire, runs out of gas, breaks down, or if you lock your keys in the car, for example. This coverage will pay for towing, battery jump-starts, fuel delivery, and more.
Additional insurance products
Progressive offers several types of insurance in four main categories:
- Vehicle: Progressive offers insurance policies for vehicles from your car, truck, or motorcycle to snowmobiles, golf carts, and even Segways.
- Property: Progressive provides homeowners insurance, condo insurance, and renters insurance policies.
- Personal: Progressive partners with other insurance carriers to offer life, health, pet, dental, travel, and vision insurance.
- Business: Progressive is the number one commercial auto insurer in the U.S. It also partners with other companies to offer other business-related insurance coverages, including business owners, general liability, professional liability, and workers’ compensation policies.
The company also partners with several companies and financial institutions to offer financial services like online banking, personal loans, and a car shopping service.
Progressive auto insurance: how cheap is it?
Progressive offers several discounts that may help you bring down your insurance premium. The insurer also offers a useful tool that lets you choose the amount of money you’d like to pay for insurance to quickly see the level of coverage you’d get for that amount.
How to find discounts
According to Progressive, drivers save an average of $700 on their insurance premiums with the company. Progressive states that almost all its customers qualify for at least one discount.
There are many factors that affect car insurance rates, but Progressive offers several discounts that might save as much as 10% on your insurance premiums. Those insurance discounts include:
- Safe driver discount: Progressive offers a program called Snapshot that customizes your insurance rate based on your driving. To participate, you would download a mobile app or use a plug-in device that tracks your trips and how you drive. Although you could save money using Progressive SnapShot, you might not save much if you have a tendency to speed or other careless driving habits.
- Teen driver discount: Car insurance coverage for a young driver often gets pricey. If you add your teen to your existing Progressive car insurance rather than getting them their own policy, Progressive may give you a discount to help with the added cost. You must be consistently insured with the company for at least 12 months before qualifying for this discount.
- Good student discount: If your teenager is a good student, you could qualify for this discount. Progressive gives a good student discount to any full-time student who maintains a B grade or better. This discount might save you as much as 10% on your insurance premiums.
- Distant student discount: This discount applies if you have a college student on your policy who goes to school more than 100 miles from your home while the car they use remains home. If the student has their own car at school, they would be ineligible to receive this discount.
- Homeowner discount: If you own a home, you may qualify for a discount on auto insurance through Progressive, even if you don’t have your homeowner’s policy through the company. This discount might save you up to 10% on your premiums.
- Online discounts: Progressive gives discounts to customers who get their auto insurance quote online, sign their insurance documents online, or opt-in for the paperless option.
- Payment discounts: Progressive customers get a discount if they pay their premiums in full or set up automatic payments from a checking account, credit card, or debit card.
- Bundling discounts: You might save money on car insurance through Progressive by bundling it with other insurance products it offers. For example, you could bundle your car insurance with a boat, RV, or motorcycle insurance policy. You could also bundle auto insurance with your homeowners' or renters' insurance.
How to maximize savings
Besides having several discounts, Progressive also offers tools to help policyholders save on insurance premiums.
The company is probably best known for its Name Your Price Tool. When getting a standard car insurance quote, you’d typically tell the insurance company what coverage levels you want, and the insurer tells you how much your insurance costs.
The Name Your Price Tool reverses this process. You provide Progressive with how much you want to pay for your insurance, and then the insurer shows you the best coverage options within your budget.
Progressive also offers other programs that might help you save more money, including:
- Deductible savings bank: If you carry comprehensive or collision insurance, Progressive will shrink your deductible by $50 for each policy period that you don’t have an accident or violation.
- Good driving habits: According to Progressive, drivers with no tickets or accidents within three years might save as much as 31% on their auto insurance premium with the company.
- Small accident forgiveness: Progressive commits not to increase your insurance rates if you are in an accident where the damage is less than $500.
- Large accident forgiveness: Progressive also offers forgiveness of large accidents to its loyal customers. If you have been insured with the company for five years or more and haven’t had accidents or violations in the last three years, your car insurance premiums won’t change after a large accident.
If you are shopping for the best car insurance companies, you could consider Progressive for its numerous discounts and multiple policy options that you could bundle with your auto insurance.
How to get an auto insurance quote from Progressive
Learning how to get car insurance from Progressive begins with their quote process. The company offers several ways to receive a quote. You could call, apply online, or work with one of over 35,000 independent agents and insurance brokers that partner with Progressive.
Online quotes take less than 30 minutes to process, and the company offers discounts to those who apply for a quote online.
Once you enter your name and address, the system automatically pulls up your information from your title and registration documents. You’d then be asked:
- Is the vehicle used for commuting, pleasure, business, or other purposes?
- Do you own, finance, or lease your car?
- How long have you had this vehicle?
- What’s your average annual mileage?
- Have you had any accidents or tickets in the last five years?
- Do you want to add another driver?
- Do you have non-auto policies with Progressive?
Progressive also asks for several pieces of personal information, including:
- Marital status
- Highest level of education
- Employment status
- Social Security number
- U.S. license type
- U.S. license status
- Years licensed
You’ll also be asked if you want to enroll in Snapshot. If you do, select whether you want to use the mobile app or a plug-in device. The system then gives you your 6-month insurance premium plan.
Progressive provides you with three quotes at different levels. They are:
- Basic: This is the cheapest option. It provides the minimum liability coverage required in your state of residence. It also includes comprehensive and collision coverage at a $2,000 deductible and a basic level of uninsured motorist coverage. Underinsured motorist coverage is not included.
- Choice: The mid-level option includes higher liability and uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. It also comes with $750 deductibles on comprehensive and collision coverages.
- Recommended: The top-level option comes with higher liability, uninsured and underinsured coverages, and $500 deductibles on comprehensive and collision coverages. It also includes medical payment coverage and rental car reimbursement if you need to rent a car while your vehicle is being repaired.
Progressive auto insurance FAQs
Is Progressive good at paying insurance claims?
According to the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, Progressive ranked below the national average compared to other auto insurance companies. Progressive states that it tries to resolve claims quickly.
However, car accidents that involve multiple cars and drivers and result in extensive injuries may require lengthy investigations, which can delay claim payouts. Insurers are usually required to complete their accident investigations within 30 days.
Does Progressive consider 3 or 5 years of driving history?
When determining your auto insurance rate, Progressive looks at the past three years of your driving record. If you had an accident five years ago, it wouldn’t factor into what Progressive charges you for insurance premiums.
Does Progressive raise insurance rates after an accident?
Typically, if you get in an accident that’s your fault, Progressive may increase your rates. However, Progressive won’t increase your rates if the damages are under $500, thanks to their small accident forgiveness policy.
Loyal Progressive customers who’ve been with the company for five or more years and haven’t had any accidents in the past three years may receive large accident forgiveness. This means that their rates might not increase even if they get in a larger accident.
If you need to insure your car and a couple of recreational vehicles like a boat, motorcycle, RV, or golf cart, Progressive may be a good option for you. The company offers insurance coverage for many different vehicles, and if you bundle several policies together, you could qualify for discounts on your policies.
Progressive offers potential customers discounts and tools that might help them figure out their coverage costs. The Name Your Price tool might come in handy if you are on a tight budget because it gives you control over setting an insurance rate that fits your budget.
However, keep in mind that Progressive ranks lower than the average rate for customer and claim satisfaction, which may impact your experience doing business with it.
FinanceBuzz researches a number of factors in each auto insurance provider to create our reviews. These factors include cost and discounts, complaints and customer satisfaction, coverage, and ease of use. We also gather information from sources such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and the Better Business Bureau to ensure we provide the most useful information to our readers.
- You could save up to $500 with some companies
- Compare dozens of providers in under 5 minutes
- Fast, free and easy way to shop for insurance
- Quickly find the perfect rate for you