AutoTempest is an online car shopping website that makes it easier for you as a car buyer to find the car you’re looking for. AutoTempest aggregates listings from various websites, including online car websites, car dealerships, and individual sellers, making it a one-stop shop for new and used cars.
AutoTempest’s interface is simple and easy to use. You can quickly refine your search based on make, model, location, price, and other important factors.
I’ve done my share of car shopping, and even I was surprised at the convenience and information that AutoTempest offers to car buyers. That’s why AutoTempest can be a convenient and efficient tool to help you find your ideal new or used car.
- AutoTempest is a new and used car search engine that aggregates listings from various websites, online marketplaces, car dealerships, and private sellers.
- You can search for a car based on its make, model, and location.
- Advanced search options include color, transmission type, price range, trim package, and more.
- AutoTempest offers a blog and guides to help you navigate every step of the car-buying process.
AutoTempest: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: AutoTempest is a comprehensive and user-friendly online car shopping website that offers a convenient way to compare used car listings from multiple sources. While using the website, we were surprised by how comprehensive it was, greatly reducing the time needed to search for a new or a used car. However, some listings may be inaccurate or unavailable as they’re aggregated from external sources.|
What is AutoTempest?
AutoTempest is an online car shopping website that was launched in 2008 by Nathan Stretch as an offshoot of SearchTempest.com, a website that searches online classified listings.
AutoTempest is a car search engine that aggregates listings from around the web, including new and used car listings from car dealerships and individual listings from private sellers.
In other words, you won’t have to spend time searching every new car website or used car marketplace to find your next vehicle.
AutoTempest compiles new car and used car listings from several top car shopping sites, including:
Simply put, AutoTempest is a one-stop shop for car shopping and auto enthusiasts to find new cars or used vehicles.
How does AutoTempest work?
If you’ve ever used a search engine before, you’ll feel right at home using AutoTempest. The website, www.autotempest.com, offers an easy-to-use interface and a results page that feels familiar and easy to navigate.
You can start your search with the most basic information, such as the make and model of the car, as well as your zip code and search radius (how many miles you’re willing to drive for your car).
Or you can use the site’s advanced search option to narrow down your search even more by including things such as color, transmission type, price range, trim package, and more.
The listings displayed on the results page are easy to read. Results are categorized by the site from which the car listing originates, and important information such as price and mileage are displayed alongside a photo of the car.
This means you don’t have to click each result to get an idea of whether a new or used car is a good fit for you.
You can further refine your search right from the results page. You can filter by price, year, mileage, fuel type, body style, and a number of other options to help you pinpoint the exact car you want.
Clicking a result brings you to the listing’s website, for example, eBay or Carvana, where you can then view more photos and details of the car.
If you’re wondering what other people are saying about this make and model, you can click the car review banner at the bottom of the search results page to see for yourself. You can also search for car reviews from the main landing page of the site.
The process of moving from viewing the listing to actually purchasing the vehicle will vary depending on the source the listing was pulled from. Once you click on a result, you leave AutoTempest to complete the rest of the process.
For example, if you choose a car listed on Carvana, you will be taken to Carvana to complete the purchase process.
What we like about AutoTempest
- A consolidated car-search experience: AutoTempest saves you from having to bounce around to multiple sites to see all the listings the different car sites have to offer.
- AutoTempest blog and guides: Feeling intimidated by everything there is to know about cars? Don’t sweat it. AutoTempest offers users a blog and a number of guides to help you navigate the car-buying process.
- Easy-to-use interface: There’s really no guesswork in navigating the AutoTempest site. Searching for new or used cars is what AutoTempest is all about, and it provides a quick and easy tool to do exactly that.
- Results are easy to digest: The results page provides all the information you need. You’ll find a photo of the car, its price and mileage, and where it’s located. This allows you to quickly scan through the results to find your ideal car.
- Supporting tools: AutoTempest offers a number of tools to help you find your next used car and get new car quotes. You can search for reviews, compare auto insurance quotes so you can save money on car insurance, and get quotes for shipping a car from outside your city.
What AutoTempest could improve
- Car reviews search could be better: AutoTempest provides a convenient tool for searching for car reviews right on its landing page. The results, however, are not as easy to read as the car search tool. AutoTempest says its car reviews search is “specially formulated … to find the best and most reliable car reviews on the web.” There just doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason as to what results are returned.
- You can’t buy at AutoTempest.com: AutoTempest helps you save time when searching for a car, but there are still additional steps you have to take in order to purchase the car. AutoTempest is an aggregator of used car listings, so you have to navigate through those sites to continue with the process.
Who is AutoTempest best for?
Whether you know what you want or you still need to do research before deciding on a car, AutoTempest is a good resource to have in your corner.
For those who prefer searching for used cars online instead of spending their day driving from dealership to dealership, this website can save a lot of time and trouble when it comes to finding the perfect car for you.
Instead of having to scour the internet checking and comparing all the different new and used car sites, AutoTempest delivers all these results in one spot.
How to sign up for AutoTempest
You don’t need to sign up for AutoTempest to use the website. Once you navigate to the site, you can begin your car search right away without being required to create a profile or sign up for anything.
When you click on a search result — for example, Carvana — you will be taken to the Carvana website and you will be shown the listing once again. At that point, you may be required to sign up for that particular website to complete the car-buying process.
Documents you may need to buy through AutoTempest
AutoTempest makes it easy for car shoppers to find their next car online. However, you don't buy directly from AutoTempest. Depending on the listing, you may buy from a dealership or a private seller, so you may need certain car-buying documents to complete your purchase. These documents may include:
- Loan pre-approval
- Proof of income
- Proof of car insurance coverage
- Driver's license or valid government ID
- Proof of residence
- Trade-in paperwork
- Bank account information
Make sure to ask about the documents you'll need and take them with you. You can also learn how to get car insurance since you may not be able to drive away with your purchased vehicle without proof of auto coverage.
If you already have an insurance policy, you'll typically need to add your new vehicle to it, which may increase your premium. Shop for and compare the best auto insurance quotes online to ensure you’re getting a good price.
Does AutoTempest have an app?
AutoTempest offers a web app that can be installed on the homepage of your mobile device. Although it’s not a downloadable program, it’s a website optimized for use on mobile devices, both iOS and Android.
Who owns AutoTempest?
AutoTempest is owned and run by Nathan Stretch, the company’s founder and CEO. Stretch founded the company more than 12 years ago with the purpose of helping people save time and effort finding the used car of their dreams, for work, or for everyday life. This is accomplished by AutoTempest’s ability to search through millions of used car listings to help you find what you’re looking for.
What sites does AutoTempest check?
AutoTempest pulls listings from a number of top sites and used car classifieds, including:
- eBay Motors
- Cars & Bids
- Facebook Marketplace
Can I trade in a car through AutoTempest?
You can't directly trade in your car through AutoTempest. Although AutoTempest offers a tool that allows you to calculate your car’s trade-in value, you can’t trade in your car directly through AutoTempest. AutoTempest does, however, partner with Cars.com to offer a way to list and sell your car online.
How does AutoTempest make money?
AutoTempest makes money through referrals. The company has agreements with a network of affiliate partners and makes money by sending them your business.
AutoTempest review: Bottom line
AutoTempest is a useful new and used car shopping website and search tool for people looking to get a vehicle. It offers a consolidated car-search experience by aggregating listings from various sources, making it easier for you to compare and find the best options.
AutoTempest is a good option when you’re looking to save time on your car shopping experience. Explore contactless car buying options such as Carvana and TrueCar and learn how to negotiate a car price when you find a listing you like, even if you don’t like haggling.