Island vacations may be the perfect place to unwind with sandy beaches and plenty to explore. For American travelers, there are many wonderful options that you won’t need your passport to visit. Surround yourself with water and wonder at these destinations that don’t require extra paperwork.
In addition to gorgeous beaches, Puerto Rico’s capital of San Juan is flush with historical sites, museums, and street art. You may also want to take a stroll through the narrow cobblestone streets of Old San Juan. Head to Condado in New San Juan for waterfront resorts, casinos, and nightclubs.
Amelia Island, on Florida’s Atlantic coast, might make you forget you’re still in the United States. Your vacation could include horseback riding on the beach or taking advantage of the rewards you could earn with a hotel credit card by booking a stay near one of the many golf courses on the island. And every March, the island hosts the Concours d’Elegance, one of the most prestigious car shows in the country.
It’s hard to choose just one place to visit in this chain of Pacific islands that includes Maui, Oahu, and Kauai. You can take a helicopter trip to see tropical rainforests or visit Volcano National Park. And if you want a taste of Hawaiian culture, try to find a luau for a good meal.
Santa Catalina Island
A short boat ride from southern California is Santa Catalina Island. Visitors can hike the many trails, soak in the sun on the white sand beach, or spot bison in the backcountry. Many hotels also offer incredible spa experiences to give you a break from the real world.
With two-thirds of St. John designated a national park, so much of its beauty is untouched, making it feel like a private island in the Caribbean. In this paradise, tourists can snorkel in Trunk Bay’s underwater trail, relax on the beaches or boat, hike, and camp within the park.
This is another of the amazing U.S. islands in the Caribbean that deserves consideration for its pristine beaches. It’s home to Buck Island Reef National Monument, which is perfect for outdoor activities like hiking or snorkeling. You can also visit the Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge, home to the nesting grounds for leatherback sea turtles.
American Samoa in the South Pacific is rich in Polynesian culture for visitors to explore. The tropical paradise also is home to sandy beaches, a national marine sanctuary, and hiking on Mount ’Alava. You can also explore the coral reef at the National Park of American Samoa, the only U.S. national park that’s south of the equator.
A trip to Guam can include a few rounds of golf on its many courses or a boat cruise down the Talofofo River on the southern half of the island. There’s also jet skiing, parasailing, and underwater tours for the more adventurous types — or take it slow lounging on one of its many beaches.
Home to the southernmost point of the contiguous United States, Key West in Florida has plenty of beaches and golf courses to visit during the day before heading out to a sidewalk cafe or bar at night. For those who like to take a trip to historical sites, visitors can see the homes of Ernest Hemingway and Tennessee Williams.
As you get ready to go to one of these tropical vacation spots, remember to pack your sunscreen, a bathing suit, and one of the best travel credit cards to get you some good deals. While a passport isn’t required, be sure to check requirements for what identification is necessary. Some do need to see a birth certificate for proof of United States residency beyond a driver’s license.
Easy-to-Earn Unlimited Rewards
Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
- Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Earn 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases
- Longer intro APR on qualifying purchases and balance transfers
- No foreign transaction fees
- Apply Now
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire.
- 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases.
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want - you're not limited to specific websites with blackout dates or restrictions.
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for travel or dining purchases, such as flights, hotel stays, car and vacation rentals, baggage fees, and also at restaurants including takeout.
- 0% Introductory APR for 18 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, 17.74% - 27.74% Variable APR will apply. A 3% fee applies to all balance transfers.
- If you're a Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase. That means instead of earning an unlimited 1.5 points for every $1, you could earn 1.87-2.62 points for every $1 you spend on purchases.
- Contactless Cards - The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap.
- This online only offer may not be available if you leave this page or if you visit a Bank of America financial center. You can take advantage of this offer when you apply now.
on Bank of America’s secure websiteRead Card Review
Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
Why we like it