Security National Auto Insurance is a legitimate insurance company, but you won’t be able to get an auto insurance policy directly from the company. Security National is an underwriter for auto insurance provided through Bristol West Insurance.
Bristol West provides personal auto insurance to customers in 43 U.S. states. However, Security National Insurance only underwrites policies in its home states of Florida and Texas. Security National Auto Insurance and Bristol West Insurance are both members of Farmers Insurance Group, the seventh-largest auto insurer in the U.S.
If you’re searching the internet for information about Security National Insurance, don’t be confused by what you find about Security National Life Insurance Company. The two are completely separate companies that aren’t affiliated.
- Security National Auto Insurance Company: Is it worth it?
- What is Security National Auto Insurance Company?
- What insurance does Security National Auto Insurance Company offer?
- Security National Auto Insurance Company: How cheap is it?
- How to get started with Security National Auto Insurance Company
- FAQs about Security National Auto Insurance Company
- Bottom line
Security National Auto Insurance Company: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: If you’re a high-risk driver who lives in Florida or Texas, Security National Auto Insurance, provided via Bristol West Insurance, may be a good option for you to get auto insurance at an affordable rate. Otherwise, with the high percentage of complaints Bristol West receives, especially in Florida, it is probably not the best car insurance for non-high-risk drivers.|
What is Security National Auto Insurance Company?
|Types of coverage||
|Where you can use it||Online at Bristol West Insurance website
|Customer support||Phone: 888-888-0080|
|Availability||Florida and Texas through Bristol West Insurance|
Security National Auto Insurance Company offers auto insurance products in Florida and Texas through its parent company, Bristol West.
As a result, your quote and policy information may list Bristol West as the provider instead of Security National. In fact, in Texas, Security National Insurance Company does business as Bristol West Specialty Insurance Company.
Bristol West was founded in 1973 and offers private passenger auto insurance in 42 states. It's a member of the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies.
Security National Insurance Company is a legitimate insurance company. However, because its coverage is limited to just two states, most drivers in the U.S. won't be able to access its policies.
What insurance does Security National Auto Insurance Company offer?
Through Bristol West, Security National Auto Insurance Company offers standard auto coverages, plus some optional types of car insurance:
- Liability insurance: This covers the cost of bodily injuries or property damage if you're at fault in an accident.
- Collision insurance: If your vehicle collides with another vehicle or object, collision coverage pays for the repair or replacement of your car.
- Comprehensive insurance: Comprehensive coverage provides protection if your vehicle gets damaged due to events outside of your control. That can include collisions with animals, theft, vandalism, and certain weather events
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage: If you get in an accident where the other person is at fault but they don't have enough insurance coverage — or no coverage at all — this will protect you.
- Medical payments: You can get up to $10,000 in coverage to pay medical bills if you get in an accident.
- Rental reimbursement: If you get in an accident and need a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired, you can get up to $50 per day for 30 days in reimbursements.
- Towing and roadside assistance: If you experience a roadside emergency and need towing or certain other forms of assistance, this coverage will pay the associated costs, up to a maximum listed in your policy.
- Rideshare coverage: If you drive for a rideshare company like Uber or Lyft, you can purchase this protection to extend your policy's coverage to those activities.
- Trailer damage coverage: You can get up to $500 in liability coverage for your trailer, as long as it's attached to a vehicle covered by the policy.
- Permissive user coverage: If you give someone else permission to use your vehicle, they'll be covered under your policy if they get in an accident.
Note that Bristol West also provides other forms of insurance, including life, specialty, and commercial insurance. However, coverages, features, and discounts can vary depending on the state you live in.
Security National Auto Insurance Company: How cheap is it?
How to find discounts
Because Security National Auto Insurance and Bristol West Insurance are affiliated with Farmers Insurance, policyholders with these companies may benefit from the discounts on car insurance that Farmers offers. Those discounts include:
- Multi-line discount: Policyholders who bundle their car insurance with other insurance policies for home, life, umbrella, or small business may qualify for this discount.
- Multi-car discount: You might save money on car insurance premiums by having more than one car on your policy.
- Safe driver discount: If you keep your driving record clean without traffic accidents or violations, you may qualify for a discount on your car insurance.
- ePolicy discount: You could get a break on your car insurance premiums simply by going paperless on your policy documents and bills.
- Good payer discount: Pay your bills on time for 12 months, and you could qualify for a discount on car insurance.
- Distant student discount: If one of the children on your policy attends a school that is 100 miles or more away from home, so they don’t have regular access to a vehicle, you could save some money on your car insurance,
- Youthful driver discount: After you’ve been insured for a year, you may be able to get a discount if there is a child (or grandchild) driver in your house who is under age 25.
- Good student discount: Student drivers who maintain a 3.0 or better GPA, are on the Dean’s List, Honor Roll, or are in the top 20% of their class may qualify for a discount on car insurance.
- Homeowner discount: Simply owning a home and not renting could qualify you to receive a discount on car insurance.
- Payment discount: You may be eligible for a discount if you set up automatic payments for your insurance premiums or if you pay the premium in full.
- Homing device discount: If you install a device in your car that can track and locate it if it’s stolen, you may be eligible for a discount on car insurance.
- Affinity discount: You could qualify for this discount if you are a member of the military or a certain other organization
How to maximize your savings with Security National Auto Insurance Company
As with any insurance company, Security National might offer some discounts that can help you save money on car insurance. In addition to those, there are other steps you can take to maximize your savings on your next auto insurance policy:
- Take advantage of discounts. Security National might offer a variety of discounts to drivers, including options for multi-vehicle policies, accident prevention courses, homeownership, students away from home, and more. As you go through the application process, speak with an insurance agent to find out which discounts are available where you live and whether you're eligible.
- Shop around. Depending on the situation, Security National may or may not have the best rates for you. Make sure you request quotes from three to five insurers to find the best deal.
- Drive safely. As with any insurance company, filing a claim with Security National could potentially cause your insurance premiums to increase. If you have a safe driving record up until now, work to keep it that way. If you've been at fault in an accident or received a moving violation in the past, take steps to drive more safely going forward.
- Be mindful of your vehicle choice. The more expensive your vehicle is, the more it will likely cost to insure. If you're trying to drive down your insurance costs, consider buying a used car instead of a new one.
- Improve your credit score. In most states, auto insurers use a credit-based insurance score to help determine your policy's rate. If you have bad credit, statistics show that you're more likely to file a claim than someone with good credit, so you may end up with a higher rate. By improving your credit, you can potentially save money.
- Adjust coverage and deductibles. You’re typically not required to buy every type of coverage an insurance company offers. So consider which protections you absolutely need and get rid of the rest. Also, with collision and comprehensive coverage, choosing a higher car insurance deductible will typically result in a lower monthly premium. Just make sure you choose a deductible you can afford if you do need to file a claim.
- Understand other cost factors. There are many different factors that go into determining a policyholder’s auto insurance premiums. Although some may be outside of your control, including your gender and age, others can be modified, such as how much you drive, where you live, the types of security features your vehicle has, and the vehicle itself.
How to get started with Security National Auto Insurance Company
If you're wondering how to get car insurance from Security National, you can request a quote through Bristol West's website. You'll need to provide information about yourself, any other drivers you want on the policy, and the vehicles you wish to insure. Information you'll need includes:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Year, make, and model of the vehicle or vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Reason for use
- Whether you're currently insured
Requesting a quote online takes fewer than 10 minutes. If you have any questions, you can call 888-888-0080. Or if you'd rather compare quotes from top insurers, you can do so quickly by entering your zip code below:
By clicking the button below I understand and acknowledge that this site uses site visit recording technology (provided by Trusted Form, Jornaya and Mouseflow)Check Rates
FAQs about Security National Auto Insurance Company
Is Security National Auto Insurance legit?
Security National isn't a household name like Geico and Allstate, but it is a legitimate insurance company. Even if you're not familiar with Bristol West insurance agency, you've likely heard of Farmers Insurance Group, which is Bristol West's parent company.
So if you receive a quote from Security National, know that it is probably legit.
How long does it take to get a policy with Security National Auto Insurance?
Bristol West doesn't specify how long it takes between the time you apply and when your policy will begin. However, in general, you can typically apply for and get auto insurance coverage on the same day.
If you want to get a policy through Security National and Bristol West insurance agency, you can visit the latter's website to start the quote process.
What types of coverage does Security National Auto Insurance Company offer?
The insurer offers several coverage options, including full coverage plus some optional protections. Here's what you can expect from a Bristol West policy:
- Liability coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Rental car reimbursement coverage
- Towing and roadside assistance
- Rideshare coverage
- Trailer damage coverage
- Permissive user coverage
Of course, you may not need all of these protections in your policy. Make sure you consider each one to determine how much coverage you actually need.
How do you contact Security National Auto Insurance Company?
If you need to file a claim, you might need to call Security National's parent company, Bristol West, to start the process. You can reach Bristol West at 800-274-7865. If you have a general question, the insurer's customer service line is 888-888-0080.
Make sure to have your policy number and any other relevant information, depending on why you're contacting the insurance company.
Because Security National Auto Insurance Company provides underwriting for Bristol West, you can't request insurance directly through Security National. Instead, you'll apply with Bristol West and the company may use Security National to underwrite your application.
Security National only operates in a couple of states, so unless you live in Florida or Texas, it won't be an option for you.
As with any insurance company, it's important to compare multiple options before purchasing a policy. If you’re shopping around for auto insurance, FinanceBuzz lets you quickly compare coverage from the best car insurance companies to help ensure you get the biggest bang for your buck.
FinanceBuzz researches a number of factors in each auto insurance provider to create our reviews. These factors include cost and discounts, complaints and customer satisfaction, coverage, and ease of use. We also gather information from sources such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and the Better Business Bureau to ensure we provide the most useful information to our readers.