When it comes to rewards credit cards, sorting through the hundreds of options can be overwhelming. And if you’re new to credit cards, the idea of juggling multiple cards or monitoring ever-changing spending categories can be downright stressful.
That’s why the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is such a smart choice. You can earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase — easy! In this Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards review, learn how this card works and what benefits you’ll receive as a cardholder.
No-Frills Cash Back
- $200 early spend bonus
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months
- 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- No bonus rewards
- No options to redeem rewards for travel
- Who should get the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card?
- Card basics
- Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards benefits and perks
- Drawbacks to the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards
- Earning and redeeming cash back with the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card
- Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards FAQs
- Other cards to consider
Who should get the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card?
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is perfect for those with a good to excellent credit score who want just one basic credit card to use for all of their purchases. Offering 1.5% cash back on every purchase, this card makes it easy to earn money on your routine expenses. You can redeem your cash back for statement credits or even as a check.
However, if you spend a lot of money in certain categories — such as at gas stations or restaurants — you may be able to earn a higher rate of return by using a different credit card with more cashback rewards in those areas.
|Card type||Cash back|
|Credit card issuer||Capital One|
|Early spend bonus||Earn a $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months of account opening|
|Reward rate||1.5% cash back rewards on every purchase, every day|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent, Good|
|Intro APR||0% for 15 months on purchases|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards benefits and perks
- Easily attainable early spend bonus: New cardholders can get a one-time cash bonus — earn a $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months. Use your card just for essentials at the gas station or grocery stores, and you can easily meet the spending requirement.
- Simple reward structure: Forget worrying about rotating spending categories. With the Quicksilver card, you’ll earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase. Plus, your rewards remain active for the life of the account; they don't expire unless you close your card.
- No foreign transaction fees: The Quicksilver Cash Rewards card doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee, so it’s a great card to take with you when you travel outside the United States.
- Event access: As a Quicksilver cardmember, you’ll get access to premier culinary events, concerts, music festivals, and sports events.
- Extended warranty protection: Cardholders get extended warranty protection when they use their card to purchase eligible items.
- Trip insurance: Even though it's a cashback rewards card, it offers some valuable travel protections, including travel accident insurance and car rental insurance.
- Roadside assistance: The Quicksilver Cash Rewards card also comes with a roadside assistance benefit, offering peace of mind if you ever find yourself stranded with a flat tire or a dead battery.
- Travel assistance: If someone steals your card or you lose it during your travels, you can get an emergency replacement card and a cash advance.
- CreditWise access: This credit card offers access to CreditWise, which cardmembers can use to get free credit score access and receive alerts about changes to their Experian or Transunion credit reports.
- Concierge service: Capital One offers round-the-clock concierge service to cardmembers. Whether you need to book travel or buy event tickets, this service has got you covered.
Drawbacks to the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card
- No intro balance transfer APR: While the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card offers a 0% intro APR for 15 months on new purchases, it does not offer an introductory APR for balance transfers.
- Limited redemptions: While this card offers straightforward cashback rewards, it offers limited reward redemptions. You can redeem your rewards for cash back in the form of a statement credit, check, or gift card, or to cover a recent purchase. You can't use them for travel or transfer them to a hotel or airline partner. If you're interested in more flexible redemption options, consider the Capital One Venture card. You can compare the Capital One Venture vs. Quicksilver rewards and redemptions to see which better fits your needs.
Earning and redeeming cash back with the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card
Potential earnings in years one and two
Here's a look at how your cash back can add up with the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card.
Remember, this is an estimation. The actual amount of cash back you earn will be determined by how much you spend.
Year one earnings: $703
Year two earnings: $503
These values are based on the FinanceBuzz Credit Card Rewards Valuation Model, which takes a look at points earned via spending and the early spend bonus.
Best ways to earn
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is a simple rewards card. There’s no need to juggle cards to earn rewards or track bonus categories; you can earn a solid rate of return by using the Quicksilver card for every purchase. With the Quicksilver Cash Rewards card, you’ll earn 1.5% cash back on all purchases. There’s no cap on how much you can earn, and your cashback rewards never expire.
Because you earn the same cash back rate on every purchase, it’s a good idea to use this card for your routine expenses, such as your utility bills or subscriptions. That way, you can score rewards for your everyday spending.
If you spend frequently on dining and entertainment, you may want to consider the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards card. By comparing the Capital One Savor vs. Quicksilver cards side-by-side you can see which better fits your spending habits.
Maximizing your redemptions
You can redeem your cashback rewards for statement credits, or you can opt to receive a check.
Capital One also allows you to set up an automatic redemption preference, if you wish. You can have your cash back automatically redeemed during certain times of the year or when your account hits a set threshold, such as $50.
If you're looking for a card with more flexible or lucrative redemptions, the Chase Freedom Unlimited is an excellent alternative. You would be able to redeem your rewards for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and maximize your point values using the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. By comparing directly the redemption options of the Chase Freedom Unlimited vs. Capital One Quicksilver cards, you can determine which gives you a greater return for your spending habits.
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards FAQs
What credit score do I need for a Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Card?
To qualify for the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards card, your credit score will likely need to be in the good-to-excellent range. A good FICO credit score is typically in the 670-739 range.
What is the highest credit limit for Capital One Quicksilver?
If approved for the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards card, the minimum credit line you can receive is $1,000. Some card users report receiving credit lines as large as $30,000, though $10,000 to $20,000 is much more common.
Is the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card a Visa or Mastercard?
The Capital One Quicksilver card is now a Mastercard credit card. Prior to January 2020, it was part of the Visa payment network.
Do Capital One Quicksilver rewards expire?
Your Quicksilver cashback rewards never expire. However, if your account is closed for any reason, you’ll lose any rewards you’ve accumulated and not yet redeemed.
Is the Capital One Quicksilver a good card?
The Capital One Quicksilver is a decent option for anyone who is looking to earn flat-rate cash back on their everyday purchases. If you're interested in earning travel rewards or a higher earning rate in specific spending categories, another card is likely a better option for you.
The American Express Blue Cash Preferred is one such card with higher cashback rates in bonus categories such as grocery stores and streaming services. You can see how the Blue Cash Preferred vs. Capital One Quicksilver Cash cards compare to see which better fits your needs.
Other cards to consider
The bottom line is, the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is a good choice for an everyday-use card. However, another card may be a better option if you tend to spend money in select categories or want a higher rate of return.
Like the Quicksilver card, the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card doesn’t have an annual fee, and you’ll earn 5% cash back on two categories, up to $2,000 quarterly. Plus, you can earn Earn $150 cash back after spending $500 in the first 90 days. If you want to take advantage of higher rewards rates in rotating categories, this card may be a good option.
The Chase Freedom Flex card doesn’t have an annual fee, and you’ll get 5% on Lyft rides (through March, 2022); 5% on rotating quarterly categories (on up to $1,500 spent) and travel purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal; 3% at restaurants (including takeout and delivery) and drugstores; and 1% on all other purchases. New members can also earn $200 cash back after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months.
The Freedom Flex is one of the best credit cards out there if you're interested in generous cashback earnings on everyday spending. It also offers the flexibility of redeeming your cash back for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.
No-Frills Cash Back
Earn a $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months