When it comes to rewards credit cards, sorting through the hundreds of options can be overwhelming. And if you’re new to credit cards, the idea of juggling multiple cards or monitoring ever-changing spending categories can be downright stressful.
That’s why the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card (learn more) is such a smart choice. You can earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase — easy! In this Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards review, learn how this card works and what benefits you’ll receive as a cardholder.
No-Frills Cash Back
- $150 early spend bonus
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR on purchases and transfers for 15 months
- 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- No bonus rewards
- No options to redeem rewards for travel
Who should get this card?
The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card is perfect for those with good to excellent credit who want just one basic credit card to use for all of their purchases. Offering 1.5% cash back on every purchase, this card makes it easy to earn money on your routine expenses. You can redeem your cash back for statement credits or even as a check.
However, if you spend a lot of money in certain categories — such as at gas stations or restaurants — you may be able to earn a higher rate of return by using a different credit card with more cashback rewards in those areas.
|Early Spend Bonus||Earn a $150 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months|
|Recommended Credit Score||Excellent, Good|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR||0%|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
Top card benefits
The Quicksilver Cash Rewards card offers several valuable benefits. However, the benefit package you’ll receive is dependent on the card level for which Visa approves you.
The company will review your creditworthiness — meaning your credit score, income, and current debt. If approved for a card, it will give you either a Visa Signature or Visa Platinum distinction. Platinum accounts have a credit limit of at least $2,000, while Signature accounts have credit limits of at least $5,000. Visa Signature accounts have more benefits than Platinum accounts.
The following benefits apply to both Platinum and Signature accounts:
- Easily attainable early spend bonus: You’ll get a one-time Earn a $150 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months. Use your card just for essentials at the gas station or at grocery stores, and you can easily earn that reward.
- Simple reward structure: Forget worrying about rotating spending categories. With the Quicksilver card, you’ll earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase.
- No foreign transaction fees: The Quicksilver Cash Rewards card doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee, so it’s a great card to take with you when you travel outside the United States.
- Balance transfer offer: If you have high-interest credit card debt, completing a balance transfer is a smart way to save money and pay off your balance faster. The Quicksilver Cash Rewards card gives you 0% APR for 15 months. Once the introductory offer expires, your APR will be 15.49% to 25.49% (variable), depending on your creditworthiness.
- Event access: As a Quicksilver cardmember, you’ll get access to premier culinary events, concerts, music festivals, and sports events. Current promotions as of July 2019 include presale ticket access to the iHeartRadio Music Festival, cardholder-only dinners with renowned chefs at the Food Network & Cooking Channel New York City Wine & Food Festival, and discounted suite rentals at the Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C.
Earning & redeeming
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is a simple rewards card. There’s no need to juggle cards to earn rewards; you can earn a solid rate of return by using the Quicksilver card for every purchase.
Best ways to earn
With the Quicksilver Cash Rewards card, you’ll earn 1.5% cash back on all purchases. There’s no cap on how much you can earn, and your cashback rewards never expire.
Because you earn the same cash back rate on every purchase, it’s a good idea to use this card for your routine expenses, such as your utility bills or subscriptions. That way, you can score rewards for your normal spending habits.
Maximizing your redemptions
You can redeem your cashback rewards for statement credits, or you can opt to receive a check.
Capital One also allows you to set up an automatic redemption preference, if you wish. You can have your cash back automatically redeemed during certain times of the year or when your account hits a set threshold, such as $50.
What credit score do I need for a Capital One QuickSilver Cash Rewards Card?
To qualify for the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards card, your credit score needs to be in the good-to-excellent range. According to Experian, one of the three major credit bureaus, that means you need a score of at least 700.
What is the highest credit limit for Capital One QuickSilver?
If approved for the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards card, the minimum credit line you can receive is $1,000. Some card users report receiving credit lines as large as $30,000, though $10,000 to $20,000 is much more common.
Is the Capital One QuickSilver Cash Rewards Credit Card a Visa or Mastercard?
The Capital One Quicksilver card is now a Mastercard credit card. Prior to January 2020, it was a Visa.
Do Capital One Quicksilver rewards expire?
Your Quicksilver cashback rewards never expire. However, if your account is closed for any reason, you’ll lose any rewards you’ve accumulated and not yet redeemed.
Other cards to consider
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is a good choice for an everyday-use card. However, another card may be a better option if you tend to spend money in select categories or want a higher rate of return.
Like the Quicksilver card, the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card doesn’t have an annual fee and you’ll earn 5% cash back on two categories, up to $2,000 quarterly. Plus, you can earn $150 cash back after spending $500 in the first 90 days.
The Chase Freedom card doesn’t have an annual fee, and you’ll earn 5% cash back in rotating bonus categories (up to $1,500 in combined purchases per quarter) and 1% cash back on all other purchases. New members can also get a $150 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months.
No-Frills Cash Back
Earn a $150 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months