If you’re looking for a credit card that offers generous amounts of cash back rewards on dining and entertainment purchases, the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card could be the ideal card for you.
This card has one of the most generous rewards programs for entertainment and dining purchases, and it also offers an early spend bonus that’s relatively easy to earn. But the Capital One Savor card does have an annual fee, so you’ll want to be sure your spending habits make having the card worth it.
Top Cash Back
$300 cash bonus
up to 8% cash back
- $300 cash back welcome offer
- 4% cash back on dining and entertainment
- No foreign transaction fees
- Minimal travel benefits
- Has annual fee
- Earn a $300 cash bonus after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months
- 8% cash back on tickets purchased through Vivid Seats (through January 2023), 4% unlimited cash back on dining and entertainment, 3% at grocery stores (excludes superstores like Walmart and Target), and 1% cash back on all other purchases
Who should get the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card?
If you tend to spend a fair share of your cash on tickets purchased through Vivid Seats (through January 2023) purchases — and you don’t want to worry about rotating rewards bonus categories — the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card is an ideal choice. With unlimited 8% cash back on these types of purchases, you should quickly be able to earn enough rewards to offset the $95 annual fee.
What makes this card especially powerful is Capital One's generous definition of entertainment purchases. These can include tickets purchased at movie theaters, record stores, tourist attractions, amusement parks, and even things like an aquarium, zoo, dance hall, or pool hall. On the flip side, tickets purchased at golf courses and country clubs won't count, nor will ticket purchases that are classified as hotel or travel purchases.
The Savor card can be very beneficial for someone who attends a lot of events, but if you’re looking for a card that offers a long list of perks, such as free airline lounge access, statement credits for travel purchases, room upgrades, or insurance on car rentals, you may want to consider another option. And while you do earn 3% back at grocery stores (excludes superstores like Walmart and Target) with the Capital One Savor, other credit card offers may be a better fit if you tend to spend the most at the grocery store.
|Card type||Cash Back|
|Card issuer||Capital One|
|Early spend bonus||Earn a $300 cash bonus after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months|
|Reward rate||8% cash back on tickets purchased through Vivid Seats (through January 2023), 4% unlimited cash back on dining and entertainment, 3% at grocery stores (excludes superstores like Walmart and Target), and 1% cash back on all other purchases|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
Capital One Savor benefits and perks
- Generous early spend bonus: Earn a $300 cash bonus after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months after account opening.
- Easy-to-understand rewards program: You don’t need to worry about keeping track of rotating cashback categories or limits on how much you can earn. You simply earn unlimited 8% cash back on tickets purchased through Vivid Seats (through January 2023), 4% unlimited cash back on dining and entertainment, 3% at grocery stores (excludes superstores like Walmart and Target), and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Bonus cash back on event tickets: Your Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Card will earn you 8% cash back on tickets purchased through Vivid Seats (through January 2023).
- Access to special events: Cardholders will enjoy special access to purchase tickets to sporting events, music events, and culinary experiences.
- A variety of protections: Cardholders will also benefit from travel accident insurance and extended warranty protection on purchases make with this card.
- No foreign transaction fees: When you use your card outside of the U.S., you don’t pay a foreign transaction fee. Other credit cards can sometimes charge as much as 3%, so this is a big savings if you tend to go on trips abroad and want to charge purchases to your card.
- Easy rewards redemption: Rewards never expire, and you simply get your rewards in the form of a statement credit or check. This means you don’t have to worry about figuring out which rewards redemption options give you the best bang for your buck.
Drawbacks to this card
- No intro APR: The Capital One Savor doesn't offer a 0% APR period on either purchases or balance transfers. So not only would you pay a balance transfer fee if you move existing credit card debt to this card, but you'll also pay the regular variable APR on balance transfers from the start.
- Annual fee: You'll have to pay a $95 annual fee with this card. If you're looking for similar cashback rewards without the annual fee, consider the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards card. You can compare the Capital One Savor vs. Quicksilver cards side-by-side and see which is the better value for you.
Earning and redeeming cash back
Potential earnings in years one and two
Here's a look how your cash back can add up with the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card. To calculate these values, we used a reward valuation of $.01 each.
Remember, this is an estimation. The actual value will be determined by how much you spend and in which categories you spend.
Year one earnings: $873
Year two earnings: $573
These values are based on the FinanceBuzz Credit Card Rewards Valuation Model which takes a look at points earned via spending, the early spend bonus, and the annual fee.
Best ways to earn
The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Card offers several different multiplier when it comes to earning bonus points and there are no limits on earning in any of these cashback categories.
|Tickets purchased through Vivid Seats (through January 2023)||8%|
|Dining and entertainment (including streaming services)||4%|
|Grocery stores (excludes superstores like Walmart and Target)||3%|
|All other purchases||1%|
Maximizing your redemptions
To earn the bonus dining cash back, you can spend money at restaurants, fast-food chains, bars, cafes, lounges, and bakeries.
You can score the bonus 4% back for entertainment when you purchase tickets at movie theaters; from sports promoters for live events, including both professional and semi-pro sports; and from theatrical promoters. Tickets to tourist attractions, including amusement parks, zoos, and aquariums, also count as entertainment. And you can even earn bonus cash back for entertainment spending at dance halls, bowling alleys, and record stores.
However, there are some exclusions, including cable, digital streaming services, golf courses, college sports events, and when you’re billed for services with a merchant code that’s not from the entertainment industry.
So, if you want to maximize your cash back, be sure to keep those categories in mind and use your Savor card accordingly when making purchases.
Capital One Savor FAQs
How do I redeem my Capital One Savor cash back?
You can request your cash back as a statement credit or as a check from Capital One for your Savor Cash Rewards Card. You can also opt to redeem for gift cards. Additionally, Capital One allows you to set up automatic redemption, either when you hit a specific rewards threshold, or at a set time each calendar year.
What credit score do you need for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards?
To be approved for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Card, you should have an excellent credit score. An excellent credit score is generally defined as 800 or above.
Is the Capital One Savor a good credit card?
The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Card is a good credit card if you tend to spend a fair share on dining out and entertainment, and you don’t want to deal with a complicated rewards redemption program. But if you want a card with travel perks, you’ll likely want to consider other alternatives. The American Express Gold Card is a great choice for foodies who also love to travel.
Is Capital One Savor Card a Visa or Mastercard?
While Capital One issues both Visa and Mastercard products, the Capital One Savor is a Mastercard. In fact, it is what is known as a World Elite Mastercard, which is why it has some of the extra benefits and perks that it does.
Other cards to consider
While the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Card has a lot going for it, there are other cashback cards and travel rewards cards to consider if the Savor card doesn't seem like the perfect fit for you.
The Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards card is from the same credit card issuer. It allows you to earn 8% cash back with Vivid Seats; 3% unlimited cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services, and at grocery stores (excluding superstores like Walmart and Target), plus 1% cash back on all other purchases, with a $0 annual fee. This might make the SavorOne more ideal for households with lower spending. You can compare the Capital One Savor vs. SavorOne cards directly to determine which card better fits your needs.
If you not only enjoy events and dining out but also like to travel, the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card might be a better option for you. With the Sapphire Preferred you earn Chase Ultimate Rewards points that can be redeemed for either cash or travel. They are worth 25% more when redeemed through the Chase travel portal. That extra value can make up for the fact that the Sapphire Preferred has a lower rewards rate. It earns 5X points on Lyft rides (through March 2022) and travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards; 3X points on eligible dining, select streaming services, and online grocery purchases; 2X points on travel; and 1X points per $1 on all other eligible purchases.
Top Cash Back
Earn a $300 cash bonus after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months
See how these cards compare:
Capital One SavorOne Rewards Credit Card
- $200 early spend bonus
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
- 3% unlimited cash back on dining, entertainment, streaming, and groceries
Chase Sapphire Preferred
- 60,000 point sign-up bonus
- 5X points on travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 25% more value when redeeming rewards for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 10% anniversary point bonus each year
- $50 annual credit on hotel stays booked through Ultimate Rewards
- Premium travel protection benefits