Farm Bureau is a membership-based insurance and financial services provider that has been around since 1939. It operates in all 50 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, and offers several coverage options at members-only pricing and discounts.
However, having to pay for the Farm Bureau membership may reduce the savings you get on its auto insurance policy. Learn more about the membership program and the coverage you can get in this Farm Bureau auto insurance review.
Farm Bureau: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: Farm Bureau is a membership organization that provides a range of benefits and services to its members, including access to insurance, financial services, and other resources. Some people may find that the benefits of membership outweigh its cost, but others may simply prefer working with an insurer that doesn’t require a membership.|
What is Farm Bureau?
Farm Bureau is a membership-based organization that offers a variety of insurance products for consumers and small businesses. It was founded in 1939 in Des Moines, Iowa, to meet the insurance needs of local farmers.
Although Farm Bureau started out offering liability insurance for farmers, over the years, it has since added additional insurance products, like auto, home, property, and life insurance. Today, it has more than 1,600 employees and 4,000 field associates across the U.S. and offers insurance in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
Farm Bureau has a few affiliated brands:
- Farm Bureau Property & Casualty Insurance Company and Western Agriculture Insurance Company, which together make up Farm Bureau Mutual Holding Company
- Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company
Each scored an independent "A" rating (excellent) by A.M. Best, a company that measures insurers’ financial strength.
|Types of coverage||
|Where you can use it||
|Availability||All 50 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico|
What insurance does Farm Bureau offer?
Farm Bureau offers several insurance products, including auto insurance policies that are available to members in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. However, you need to connect with a local agent to apply for coverage.
Farm Bureau’s Find an Agent tool lets you search for agents quickly and easily. When you get to a local agent's website, you can complete an online form or speak with an agent over the phone to request an insurance quote.
Farm Bureau auto insurance coverage options
Farm Bureau offers several types of car insurance and policy add-ons, including:
- Liability insurance: Helps cover expenses when you physically injure someone or damage another person's property with your vehicle.
- Medical or no-fault coverage: Helps pay for your or a passenger's medical bills due to a car accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Helps cover the costs of your or a passenger's medical bills due to a car accident in which the other driver is at fault but doesn't have insurance or has inadequate coverage.
- Collision coverage: Helps cover vehicle repairs when your car has been in an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage: Helps cover costs if your car is damaged by something other than a collision, such as theft, fire, hail, or vandalism.
- Replacement cost coverage: Helps with replacing a totaled vehicle with one that is of a similar kind and quality. This policy option is available for vehicles that are up to four or five model years old in certain states.
- Roadside assistance: Helps you with vehicle breakdowns or other problems on the road. This may include services such as towing, jump-starting a dead battery, changing tires, delivering fuel, and more.
Coverage limits may vary from state to state, and not all coverage options are available in each area. When you contact your local Farm Bureau office, they'll be able to explain which auto insurance options are available where you live.
Additional Farm Bureau insurance products
Consumers and small businesses that are members of Farm Bureau can choose to get various risks covered. It offers several insurance products in addition to personal auto coverage, including:
To apply for any Farm Bureau insurance policies, you need to become a member of its organization first. Membership can cost as little as $20, but that cost will vary depending on where you live and which membership tier you choose. Farm Bureau currently has nearly 5.9 million members, but you cannot join online. Instead, you can start the application process by contacting your local Farm Bureau office.
Once you become a member of Farm Bureau, you'll receive additional benefits and discounts at a variety of businesses. Although there are some nationwide benefits, discounts and perks offered by each state may vary.
Farm Bureau auto insurance: How cheap is it?
To save money on car insurance with Farm Bureau, consider taking advantage of the discounts available to Farm Bureau members and improving the factors that affect your premium.
How to find discounts
There are several auto insurance discounts that you may qualify for when acquiring an auto insurance policy from Farm Bureau, including:
- Driven to safety discount: Qualify for this safe driving discount automatically when you sign up for Driveology.
- Claim-free discount: Save money by avoiding accidents and having fewer claims. Eligibility varies by state.
- Good student discount: Save on your car insurance as a student driver when you maintain a "B" average or higher.
- Safe young driver discount: Earn a discount if you’re under the age of 25 and complete a young driver safety course.
- Low mileage discount: Qualify for this discount if you drive less than 7,500 miles per year.
- Driveology: Save up to 30% with a plug-in device that provides savings based on your good driving behavior. Over time, you may qualify for additional savings.
- Discounts for multiple cars: Insure more than one vehicle with Farm Bureau auto insurance, and each car receives a discount on its premiums.
- Farm Bureau Member's Choice: Save money on your insurance and claims with a bundled policy that offers one premium and one deductible for all your covered possessions.
To ensure that you're receiving all the discounts you qualify for, ask your local Farm Bureau agent to perform an annual "SuperCheck" on your insurance policies.
Farm Bureau also offers preferred auto repair shops, which can help you save time and money if you get into an accident. Working with one of these preferred shops can result in a more straightforward claims process. Generally, there is only one estimate required, the shop can order parts and schedule repairs immediately, and Farm Bureau pays the shop directly.
How to maximize savings
You can increase your savings with Farm Bureau by improving some of the factors that affect car insurance rates. For example, you can:
- Maintain a good credit score. Insurance companies often use credit scores to determine premiums, so maintaining a good credit score may help you secure lower rates.
- Choose the right coverage. Make sure to get the coverage you need without including too many optional coverage options that you may not benefit from. For example, older cars may not be worth protecting with collision coverage.
- Consider a higher deductible. If you are willing to pay a higher deductible in the event of a claim, you may be able to secure a lower premium.
How to get an insurance quote from Farm Bureau
Getting an auto coverage quote from Farm Bureau isn’t as straightforward as some other insurance providers. You can’t get a quote online, but you can request a call from an agent or contact your local agent yourself.
You can request a quote online by providing the following information:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Zip code
- Desired insurance type
Alternatively, you can find a local agent by entering your zip code on the Farm Bureau website or by contacting your local Farm Bureau office. When you contact an agent, make sure to have these additional items and information on hand:
- Marital status
- Date of birth
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle’s year, make, and model
Get rates, offers & more from top rated insurance providers!
By clicking the button below I understand and acknowledge that this site uses site visit recording technology (provided by Trusted Form, Jornaya and Mouseflow)Check Rates
FAQs about Farm Bureau auto insurance
Is Farm Bureau a good company?
Yes, Farm Bureau has been in business since 1939. It has an A (excellent) rating from AM Best, an independent rating agency that measures insurers’ financial strength. Further, over 90% of Farm Bureau auto insurance customers renew their policies, and the company has a claim satisfaction rate of over 90%.
How long does it take to get a policy with Farm Bureau auto insurance?
Unlike other auto insurance companies, you cannot purchase a new Farm Bureau auto insurance policy online. You can get a quote online, but you need to speak with an insurance agent before buying a policy. Additionally, you need to be a Farm Bureau member before you can apply for an auto insurance policy. Depending on the local office, signing up for a Farm Bureau membership can take minutes or days, based on their availability.
What types of coverage does Farm Bureau auto insurance offer?
Drivers can apply for a variety of coverages with Farm Bureau. Farm Bureau offers liability, collision, comprehensive, medical, and uninsured motorists coverage. Newer cars might also be eligible for replacement cost coverage.
How do you contact Farm Bureau auto insurance?
Policyholders and those interested in a policy can contact Farm Bureau customer service at 866-399-3237. Additionally, you can get personalized service from a Farm Bureau insurance agent by selecting your state and local area on the organization’s website.
Farm Bureau auto insurance could be a good option for drivers who prefer the personal touch of working with a local agent. Although you can get car insurance quotes online, you need to speak with an agent to finalize your coverage. You also need to be a Farm Bureau member to get coverage, but membership also comes with a variety of discounts you may find valuable.
If you prefer to handle your insurance needs online, FinanceBuzz can connect you with the best auto insurance companies so you can shop and compare without speaking to an agent.
FinanceBuzz researches a number of factors in each auto insurance provider to create our reviews. These factors include cost and discounts, complaints and customer satisfaction, coverage, and ease of use. We also gather information from sources such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and the Better Business Bureau to ensure we provide the most useful information to our readers.
- You could save up to $500 with some companies
- Compare dozens of providers in under 5 minutes
- Fast, free and easy way to shop for insurance
- Quickly find the perfect rate for you