Most states require that you have car insurance to protect others on the road. However, finding an affordable policy with the right coverage can be a hassle.
One option worth considering is Farm Bureau auto insurance. It might offer the coverage you need with members-only pricing and discounts, and it’s been covering members' risks since 1939.
In this article, we'll share what Farm Bureau is, what insurance products it offers, and how to get coverage and maximize discounts.
What is Farm Bureau?
Farm Bureau is a membership-based organization that offers a variety of insurance products for consumers and small businesses. It was founded in 1939 in Des Moines, Iowa, to meet the insurance needs of local farmers.
Although Farm Bureau started out offering liability insurance for farmers, over the years, it has since added additional insurance products, like auto, home, property, and life insurance. Today, it has more than 1,600 employees and 4,000 field associates across the U.S. and offers insurance in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.
Farm Bureau has a few affiliated brands:
- Farm Bureau Property & Casualty Insurance Company and Western Agriculture Insurance Company, which together make up Farm Bureau Mutual Holding Company
- Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company
Each scored an independent A-rating (excellent) by AM Best, a company that measures insurers’ financial strength.
Farm Bureau’s 2020 annual report highlighted its over 362,000 policies in force and its client retention of 90.1%. The organization had a net income of $163 million for the year, and it had a policyholder surplus (assets minus liabilities) of almost $1.8 billion.
What insurance products does Farm Bureau offer?
Consumers and small businesses that are members of Farm Bureau can choose to get various risks covered. It offers several insurance products, including:
- Personal auto, motorcycle, RV, and farm vehicle
- Farm and ranch
- Residential equipment breakdown
- Emergency roadside assistance
To apply for any Farm Bureau insurance policies, you need to become a member of its organization first. A membership can cost as little as $20, but that cost will vary depending on where you live and which membership tier you choose. Farm Bureau currently has nearly 5.9 million members, but you cannot join online. Instead, you can start the application process by contacting your local Farm Bureau office.
Once you become a member of Farm Bureau, you'll receive additional benefits and discounts at a variety of businesses. Although there are some nationwide benefits, discounts and perks offered by each state may vary.
How does Farm Bureau auto insurance work?
Farm Bureau auto insurance is available to members in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. However, you need to connect with a local agent to apply for coverage.
Farm Bureau’s Find an Agent tool lets you search for agents quickly and easily. When you get to a local agent's website, you can complete an online form or speak with an agent over the phone to request an insurance quote.
Farm Bureau auto insurance coverage options
Farm Bureau offers several types of car insurance and policy add-ons, including:
- Liability: Liability insurance could cover expenses when you physically injure someone or damage another person's property with your vehicle.
- Collision: Collision insurance could cover vehicle repairs when your car has been in an accident.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive insurance could cover costs if your car is damaged by something other than a collision, such as theft, fire, hail, or vandalism.
- Medical or no-fault coverage: Medical or no-fault coverage could pay for your or a passenger's medical bills due to a car accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Uninsured motorist: Uninsured motorist could cover costs of your or a passenger's medical bills due to a car accident in which the other driver is uninsured and at fault.
- Underinsured: Underinsured motorist could pay for your or a passenger's medical bills when an insured motorist's coverage limits are not high enough.
Replacement cost coverage is also available for newer cars. This policy option is available for vehicles that are up to four model years old, or five in certain states. If you're in an accident, this insurance coverage could help you buy a replacement car of similar kind and quality without a depreciation deduction.
Coverage limits may vary from state to state, and not all coverage options are available in each area. When you contact your local Farm Bureau office, they'll be able to explain which auto insurance options are available where you live.
How to maximize your savings with Farm Bureau
To save money on car insurance with Farm Bureau, consider taking advantage of these discounts available to members.
- Farm Bureau Member's Choice: Save money on your insurance and claims with a bundled policy that offers one premium and one deductible for all your covered possessions.
- Driveology: Save up to 30% with a plug-in device that provides savings based on your good driving behavior. Over time, you may qualify for additional savings.
- Driven to Safety discount: Qualify for this safe driver discount automatically when you sign up for Driveology.
- Claim-free discount: Save money by avoiding accidents and having fewer claims. Eligibility varies by state.
- Good student discount: Save on your car insurance as a student driver when you maintain a "B" average or higher.
- Safe Young Driver discount: Earn a discount if you’re under the age of 25 and complete a young driver safety course.
- Low mileage discount: Qualify for this discount if you drive less than 7,500 miles per year.
- Discounts for multiple cars: Insure more than one vehicle with Farm Bureau auto insurance, and each car receives a discount on its premiums.
- Continued In-Force Credit: Receive a loyalty credit when you renew your auto policy.
To ensure that you're receiving all the discounts you qualify for, ask your local Farm Bureau agent to perform an annual "SuperCheck" on your insurance policies.
Farm Bureau also offers preferred auto repair shops, which can help you save time and money if you get into an accident. Working with one of these preferred shops can result in a more straightforward claims process. Generally, there is only one estimate required, the shop can order parts and schedule repairs immediately, and Farm Bureau pays the shop directly.
FAQs about Farm Bureau auto insurance
Is Farm Bureau a good company?
Yes, Farm Bureau has been in business since 1939. It has an A (excellent) rating by independent rating agency AM Best, which measures insurers’ financial strength. Further, over 90% of Farm Bureau auto insurance customers renew their policies, and the company has a claim satisfaction rate of over 90%.
How long does it take to get a policy with Farm Bureau auto insurance?
Unlike other auto insurance companies, you cannot purchase a new Farm Bureau auto insurance policy online. You can get a quote online, but you need to speak with an insurance agent before buying a policy. Additionally, you need to be a Farm Bureau member before you can apply for an auto insurance policy. Depending on the local office, signing up for a Farm Bureau membership can take minutes or days, based on their availability.
What types of coverage does Farm Bureau auto insurance offer?
Drivers can apply for a variety of coverages with Farm Bureau. Farm Bureau offers liability, collision, comprehensive, medical, and uninsured motorists coverage. Newer cars might also be eligible for replacement cost coverage.
How do you contact Farm Bureau auto insurance?
Policyholders and those interested in a policy can contact Farm Bureau customer service at 866-399-3237. Additionally, you can get personalized service from a Farm Bureau insurance agent by selecting your state and local area on the organization’s website.
How to get started with Farm Bureau
If you're wondering how to get car insurance from Farm Bureau, here's how to get started. First, head to fb.org/about/join to select your state. This will direct you to your state's website, where you can find a local office. On the local office’s website, you can request a phone call with an agent or submit your information to receive a quote.
Whether you speak to someone over the phone or submit your information online, you'll need the following information to receive a Farm Bureau auto insurance quote:
- Home address and how long you've lived there
- Contact information
- Marital status
- Date of birth
- Questions about driving history
- Driver information
- Vehicle information
- Coverage choices
Completing the online quote process can take several minutes because of all the detailed information required for drivers, vehicles, and coverage options.
One important thing to note: Some states require you to join Farm Bureau before receiving an online auto insurance quote, which makes sense given that Farm Bureau doesn’t offer coverage to non-members. In that case, it’s a good idea to speak to an agent and ensure the quote aligns with your expectations before you spend the money to join.
How to cancel Farm Bureau auto insurance
If you need to cancel Farm Bureau auto insurance for any reason, you can do so online or by contacting your agent or calling customer service at 877-876-2222. Customer service is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT. Office hours may vary if you’re speaking with a local agent.
When canceling your policy over the phone, it helps to have your policy number handy. However, if you don't know it or cannot find it, your agent or customer service can look up your personal information to find your policy.
If you plan to get coverage with a different insurer, FinanceBuzz tools allow you to compare auto insurance rates and quotes quickly from a variety of auto insurance providers.
Farm Bureau auto insurance could be a good option for drivers who prefer the personal touch of working with a local agent. Although you can get car insurance quotes online, you need to speak with an agent to finalize your coverage. You also need to be a Farm Bureau member to get coverage, but membership also comes with a variety of discounts you may find valuable.
If you prefer to handle your insurance needs online, FinanceBuzz can connect you with the best car insurance companies so you can shop and compare without speaking to an agent.