Fred Loya Insurance is part of the Loya Insurance Group, which offers standard car insurance policies in multiple states. This includes options for high-risk drivers and people with little or no credit history or bad credit.
Whether these situations apply to you or you simply want to comply with your state’s minimum car insurance requirements, you might consider Fred Loya as a potential option. This Fred Loya auto insurance review will help you decide whether this insurance company is worth a look or if you’re better off researching other options.
- Fred Loya auto insurance: Is it worth it?
- What is Fred Loya?
- What insurance products does Fred Loya offer?
- How does Fred Loya auto insurance work?
- Fred Loya auto insurance: How cheap is it?
- How to get an insurance quote from Fred Loya
- How to cancel Fred Loya auto insurance
- Fred Loya auto insurance FAQs
- Bottom line
Fred Loya auto insurance: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: Fred Loya auto insurance is an option worth considering if you’re a driver with tickets or accidents on your driving record. You may qualify for coverage at a reasonable insurance premium. If you’re a driver with a clean record, you may prefer a different insurer because Fred Loya car insurance has many negative customer service reviews.
What is Fred Loya?
Fred Loya is an auto insurance company founded in El Paso, Texas, in 1974. The company’s namesake, Fred Loya, is the original founder, and his family continues to hold key roles in the business today. Fred Loya Insurance is part of the Loya Insurance Group, which also includes Loya Insurance Company, Young America Insurance, Rodney D. Young Insurance, and National Insurance.
Overall, Fred Loya has over 700 offices and offers policies in 12 states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, and Texas.
Fred Loya is a legitimate company that provides auto insurance coverage, though it doesn’t have the best ratings or reviews. Fred Loya Insurance has a 1.0 out of 5.0 customer review rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and an overall C rating. The company has had 99 complaints closed in the last three years.
|Types of coverage
|Where you can use it
What insurance products does Fred Loya offer?
Fred Loya offers auto insurance policies in 12 states. The type of coverage includes standard policies, such as required liability insurance, but you’re also able to customize your policy with additional coverage.
Here are the types of car insurance offered by Fred Loya:
- Liability: Liability insurance coverage is required in most states and often includes both property damage liability and bodily injury. This coverage applies when you cause an accident that results in bodily injury, property damage, or both.
- Collision: Collision insurance can help repair or replace your vehicle if it collides with another vehicle or object. This type of coverage is typically optional unless it’s required by a lender you’re leasing or financing through.
- Comprehensive: If you want optional coverage for damage to your vehicle that doesn’t result from a collision, consider comprehensive insurance. This type of coverage can typically help insure your vehicle against damage from fire, vandalism, theft, and more.
- Full coverage: Full coverage car insurance isn’t an actual car insurance policy. Instead, it’s often a combination of policies, such as collision and comprehensive, that offers more protection than one policy alone.
- Personal injury protection: Personal injury protection can offer reimbursement for certain expenses if you or a passenger are injured because of a car accident, regardless of who’s at fault. This type of coverage can help cover the cost of medical and funeral expenses, lost wages, and caregiver services.
- Medical payments: Medical payments coverage can help cover medical expenses for any care you receive due to a car accident, regardless of who’s at fault. This type of coverage could help pay for health insurance deductibles, hospital visits, surgery, and more.
In addition, Fred Loya offers options for high-risk drivers and drivers with little or no credit or bad credit. This can be helpful if you have negative marks on your driving history or cannot pass a credit check to get auto insurance coverage with other companies.
Keep in mind that Fred Loya only operates in 12 states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, and Texas. The company has over 700 offices spread across these states, including within certain grocery stores, such as Lowe’s Foods stores, Fiesta Marts, and Walmarts. This could be convenient for its customers since many grocery stores are located near residential areas.
Fred Loya auto insurance: How cheap is it?
Fred Loya states that it offers affordable auto insurance rates regardless of negative marks on your driving record.
How to find discounts
Fred Loya doesn’t seem to offer many discounts. There is minimal information about the discounts it offers, which makes it difficult to know the ones you may be able to get. You’ll need to connect with a local insurance agent who will walk you through discount options you may qualify for.
Keep in mindFred Loya received a $300,000 fine from the Texas Department of Insurance in 2012 due to the lack of information about the premiums and discounts it offers.
Fred Loya may offer multiple discounts on your auto insurance policy, including:
- Automatic payments: You’re eligible for a discount if you set up automatic payments for your auto insurance premiums.
- Prior coverage: Having current or prior auto insurance coverage qualifies you for this discount.
- Homeowner: Owning a home may qualify you for a homeowner discount with a Fred Loya auto insurance policy.
- Multi-vehicle: If you want to add more than one vehicle to your policy, you’ll likely qualify for the multi-vehicle discount.
- Driving history: Having no claims or accidents in the past three years can help you qualify for this discount.
How to maximize savings
It helps to understand the car insurance coverage types you need when working on maximizing the money you save on car insurance. For example, you may not benefit from having high coverage if your car is old or doesn’t have much value.
You should also consider your deductibles. Increasing your deductibles should lower your insurance premium, but it also increases your financial liability in an accident. It’s crucial to weigh your premium versus potential future costs and decide the deductible level that makes sense for you.
Additionally, improving your credit score and maintaining a safe driving record can help you qualify for better auto insurance rates.
How to get an insurance quote from Fred Loya
Getting an auto insurance quote through Fred Loya can only be done over the phone or in person. Unlike bigger, more recognizable auto insurers, Fred Loya doesn’t offer an online quote option.
When visiting the Fred Loya website, you get an option to enter your zip code. The red dots on the map indicate the states Fred Loya is available in.
Once you enter a zip code, you’ll get a few options to get a quote. You can either visit the nearest Fred Loya branch or call a representative at the listed phone number.
Make sure to have the following information ready for the representative when you call to get an accurate insurance rate:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Residential address
- Driver's license number
- Current insurance policy
- Vehicle year, make, and model
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Past accidents or violations
The amount of time the quote process takes will depend on the length of your conversation with the Fred Loya representative. You may be able to get a quote in less than 20 minutes.
How to cancel Fred Loya auto insurance
If you want to cancel your Fred Loya auto insurance policy, you have to visit a local Fred Loya office and hand in a written request for cancellation. It’s unclear whether fax or email would also be accepted, but it’s worth inquiring about if you cannot visit a branch in person.
Most insurance companies require certain information if you want to cancel. For a written cancellation, you likely need to include your full name and signature, policy number, and reason you’re canceling.
If you want to switch auto insurance providers, online resources, such as an online marketplace, could help you quickly and easily compare car insurance quotes from multiple companies. To find competitive rates in your area, use our best car insurance tool.
Fred Loya auto insurance FAQs
Is Fred Loya a good company?
Fred Loya is a legitimate insurance company that has low customer service ratings. Many customers complain about long claim processing times and confusing practices. Several customers also complain about the difficulty of reaching a customer service agent. Fred Loya Insurance has a C rating and a 1.0 out of 5.0-star customer review rating with the BBB.
How many locations does Fred Loya have?
Fred Loya has 526 locations in 12 states. These states are:
How long does it take to get a policy with Fred Loya auto insurance?
The quote process with Fred Loya should only take a few minutes of your time if you call one of its offices or visit in person and have the necessary information on hand.
This typically includes previous or current insurance information, vehicle information, driver’s license number, vehicle identification number (VIN), and driving history record. Once you have your quote, you’re able to apply for a policy.
Does Fred Loya check your credit score?
Fred Loya offers insurance quotes with and without checking your credit score, depending on the option you prefer. Fred Loya encourages you to call one of its representatives to get a personalized quote. Keep in mind that your credit score is one of the factors that affect car insurance rates. Getting a quote with a low or non-existent credit score may increase your premium.
How do you contact Fred Loya auto insurance?
You can contact Fred Loya customer service by telephone at 1-888-248-8787. The company also has hundreds of offices nationwide, so if you’re working with a local office, it likely has its own contact information.
Fred Loya may have the auto insurance coverage you need if you want to meet minimum state requirements, have a bad driving record, or can’t pass a credit check. But keep in mind that Fred Loya only offers policies in certain states, and you don’t have the option to fill out a quote form or get a policy online.
In addition, customer reviews and BBB ratings don’t reflect well on the services Fred Loya provides. This company can help you get coverage if you’re in a certain situation, but it may not be the best option for you otherwise. Many other car insurance companies have better reputations for providing higher levels of service and satisfaction to their customers.
Consider comparing and researching your available options for car insurance coverage, so you’re able to find a policy and company that fits your needs.
FinanceBuzz researches a number of factors in each auto insurance provider to create our reviews. These factors include cost and discounts, complaints and customer satisfaction, coverage, and ease of use. We also gather information from sources such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and the Better Business Bureau to ensure we provide the most useful information to our readers.