Liberty Mutual is the 6th largest auto insurance provider in the U.S., with policies issued in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. The company offers several types of vehicle coverage and discounts, but do its insurance policies stand out among other policies on the market?
The company ranked average or slightly below average for overall customer satisfaction in several regions of the country in 2022. It also ranked slightly below the national average for auto claim satisfaction in the same year, which may not inspire potential customers to switch over.
Let’s take a deeper look at Liberty Mutual and its insurance products to help you determine whether this auto insurer would be a good choice.
Liberty Mutual auto insurance: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: Drivers in the U.S. may benefit from getting Liberty Mutual coverage if the company provides the policy they need at a comfortable price. However, the company has slightly below-average claim satisfaction and average to below-average overall customer satisfaction in several regions.|
What is Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual is an insurance company that was founded in 1912. The company initially offered workers' compensation insurance before it added auto insurance to its offerings in 1918.
Over time, Liberty Mutual’s auto policies grew to 35% of its total written premiums by the third quarter of 2022. The number of car insurance policies the company issues makes it the sixth-largest auto insurer in the country.
|Types of coverage||
|Where you can use it||
|Availability||All U.S. states and Washington, D.C.|
What insurance does Liberty Mutual offer?
Liberty Mutual offers most standard types of car insurance coverage commonly found with other insurers. It also offers a few car replacement policies you may not find with other insurance providers.
Liberty Mutual provides the following essential liability and medical coverage:
- Liability insurance: This insurance helps pay the cost of injuries to other drivers and repairs for other vehicles or the cost of property damage after an at-fault accident.
- Medical payment coverage: This coverage helps pay for medical costs for you and the other passengers in your car. Depending on your policy’s coverage, this may include ambulance transportation and initial hospital stays.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This coverage helps pay for the cost of damage or injury you receive from an at-fault driver who has no insurance.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This protection helps with your medical expenses following a car accident.
- Comprehensive insurance: This insurance helps pay for damage to your car caused by factors other than a collision, such as hail, flood, fire, or theft.
Additional optional coverage can help protect your car, including:
- Collision coverage: This coverage helps cover damage to your car caused by an accident or a collision, regardless of who is at fault.
- Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund: This fund allows you to contribute $30 annually to lower your collision coverage deductible by $100 more each year, up to a maximum of $500.
- New car replacement insurance: This insurance gives you enough money to buy a brand new car if you totaled a new car within a year of buying it.
- Better car replacement insurance: This insurance provides you with a payout to buy a car model that’s one year newer if you totaled your car.
- Original parts replacement: This policy add-on allows you to get original parts to replace damaged parts in your vehicle.
- Lifetime repair guarantee: This guarantee is an optional addition that helps you find a repair shop following an accident by using one of Liberty Mutual's 2000 guaranteed repair facilities.
- Gap coverage: This insurance helps close the gap between your car’s value and the amount remaining on your auto loan if you totaled your financed vehicle.
Liberty Mutual also offers the following add-on coverage:
- Roadside assistance: This assistance helps you when you need to tow your vehicle, jump its battery, replace a tire, or get a gas delivery.
- Teachers' auto coverage: This coverage provides teachers with additional protection that includes vandalism loss protection with $0 deductibles, personal property coverage for teaching materials, and $0 deductible collision coverage.
- Mexico auto coverage: This coverage gives you the required insurance to drive your car across the U.S. border with Mexico and protects you while you're in the country. The Mexico auto coverage is provided in collaboration with Liberty Mutual's partner MexPro.
Keep in mindLiberty Mutual offers auto insurance coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. However, exact coverage availability may vary by state.
In addition to auto insurance, Liberty Mutual also offers the following types of insurance:
- Vehicle insurance policies: Coverage for motorcycles, antique cars, boats, and RVs
- Property insurance policies: Homeowners insurance, renters insurance, condo insurance, mobile home coverage, and flood protection
- Business insurance policies: Coverage for small, midsized, and large businesses
- Other insurance policies: Life insurance, pet coverage, and identity theft protection
Liberty Mutual auto insurance: How cheap is it?
Each insurance company uses your specific information and a list of factors that affect car insurance rates to determine the premium.
For some, Liberty Mutual car insurance may offer affordable coverage, whereas others may receive better quotes from other insurers. That’s why it’s essential to shop around before choosing an auto insurance provider.
How to find discounts
Liberty Mutual offers an extensive list of discounts. The ones you may qualify for will depend on your exact circumstances.
There are three discount categories. The first is discounts for you as a driver:
- Homeowner discount: You can qualify for this auto insurance discount if you own your home.
- Military discount: You can get this discount if you are an active, retired, or reserve member of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Early shopper discount: You can qualify for this discount by getting a quote before your current policy expires.
- Good student discount: You may get this discount if you or your teen driver is a student with a B-grade average or better.
- Student-away-at-school discount: You can acquire this discount if you are a student who is away at school and rarely drives the insured car.
The second category of discounts relate to safe driving:
- Claims-free discount: You can receive this discount if you’ve been accident-free and your driving history shows no insurance claims for a certain number of years. The exact number of years may vary by state.
- Violation-free discount: You may qualify for this discount if you practice safe driving and have no violations on your driving record.
- RightTrack: You may get this discount by downloading the RightTrack mobile app and letting it track your driving. The app measures braking, acceleration, nighttime driving, and the number of miles you drive to calculate if you qualify to pay a smaller insurance premium.
The third discount category is based on your policy:
- Multi-policy discount: You can qualify for this discount by having multiple policies, such as homeowners, renters, or RV insurance, along with your auto insurance with Liberty Mutual.
- Multi-car discount: You may get this discount by including more than one vehicle on your policy.
- Preferred payment discount: You may receive this discount when you pay via automatic payments from your bank account or when you pay for your policy in one or two payments.
- Online purchase discount: You can get this discount by completing your insurance quote and buying it online.
- Paperless policy discount: You can qualify for this discount by opting for paperless communication delivery.
How to maximize savings
Maximizing savings with any auto insurance company can be relatively straightforward. This also applies to Liberty Mutual. Here are a few ideas to help you find the best rates:
- Give complete information during the quote process. The more information an insurer has, the more accurately they can quote your policy, including potential discounts you qualify for.
- Verify you're not overinsured. Insurance should protect you, but purchasing too much insurance may not be an effective way of protecting yourself. Double-check your coverage to remove any excessive protection you don’t need.
- Make sure you receive your discounts. It never hurts to call an insurer to verify that you receive every discount you qualify for.
- Get quotes for multiple policies. Liberty Mutual may offer policyholders a discount if they hold several types of policies with the company. Get quotes for bundling homeowners, renters, or other insurance products you may want to move to Liberty Mutual.
- Increase your deductibles. The higher your deductibles are, the lower your premiums can be. However, keep in mind that this increases your risk and financial liability if you get into an accident.
- Improve your credit: People with stronger credit histories often receive lower auto insurance rates. Improving your credit score may help lower your auto rates.
How to get an insurance quote from Liberty Mutual auto insurance
Getting a quote from Liberty Mutual can be done in person, online, or over the phone by calling 1-800-295-2723. The online quote process may take less than 10 minutes to complete.
Information you’ll need for this quote process includes:
- Personal information
- Information about your vehicle
- Information about other drivers on your policy
- Details about your current insurance
Figuring out how to get car insurance quotes from Liberty Mutual is simple once you have the information needed.
- Start by visiting Liberty Mutual’s website and entering your ZIP code.
- Enter basic information about you and where you live.
- Add information about your vehicle.
- Enter information about the drivers the policy will cover.
- Add in details about your current insurance policy and provider.
- Review the discount you qualify for and check whether you are eligible for other discounts.
- Finally, get your quote estimate and adjust your desired coverage limits as needed to update your quote.
Liberty Mutual auto insurance FAQs
How do I speak to someone at Liberty Mutual?
You can contact Liberty Mutual’s customer service department by calling 1-800-290-8711. If you’re an existing customer, you can also use the messaging function in the Liberty Mutual app, or on the website once you’re logged in.
Is Liberty Mutual good at paying claims?
Liberty Mutual has below-national-average claim satisfaction. According to the J.D. Power’s 2022 U.S. auto claims satisfaction study, Liberty Mutual receives a score of 876 compared with the industry average of 880.
Does Liberty Mutual check your credit score?
Liberty Mutual may check your personal insurance score as part of the quote process. This score is partly based on your credit score. Checking your personal insurance score is considered a soft inquiry that will not impact your credit score.
Liberty Mutual offers several insurance products, including auto coverage that comes with a list of standard discounts. Using their website, you can get a quote in 10 minutes or less. If you buy the policy online, you can qualify for one of the Liberty Mutual discounts to save money on car insurance.
However, Liberty Mutual has a below-average claim satisfaction that may not inspire trustworthiness. Before you make a final decision, make sure to get quotes from the best car insurance companies. Each insurer rates the risk you pose to them differently, resulting in different rates. In some cases, Liberty Mutual may be the most affordable insurer. In other instances, a competitor may offer better rates.
FinanceBuzz researches a number of factors in each auto insurance provider to create our reviews. These factors include cost and discounts, complaints and customer satisfaction, coverage, and ease of use. We also gather information from sources such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and the Better Business Bureau to ensure we provide the most useful information to our readers.
- You could save up to $500 with some companies
- Compare dozens of providers in under 5 minutes
- Fast, free and easy way to shop for insurance
- Quickly find the perfect rate for you