When you think about car insurance, the Fortune 500 investment company Prudential may not immediately come to mind. Prudential doesn’t sell auto insurance directly but does distribute car insurance policies under Plymouth Rock Assurance.
Unfortunately, Prudential car insurance won't benefit most of the country because it’s only available in four states, and some coverage options are only available as part of a larger package. If you live in a state where Prudential is available, checking their offerings as part of your research can help you confirm you’re getting the best coverage at the best price and all the discount options you qualify for.
Use this review to help you determine whether Prudential car insurance is right for you.
Prudential Auto Insurance: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: Prudential auto insurance is offered by select Prudential agents in only four states (CT, NY, NJ, and PA) through Plymouth Rock Assurance. It provides standard coverage, multiple additional policies via various upgrade packages, and discounts. If you live where this insurance is available, it is worth comparing rates and discounts against other carriers.|
What is Prudential Financial?
Prudential is an investment company founded in 1875 by insurance agent John Fairfield Dryden. It has become one of the largest providers of life insurance, annuities, and mutual funds in the U.S. and currently has $1.4 trillion in assets under management and $4.5 billion in highly liquid assets.
As part of its insurance offerings, Prudential sells auto insurance through Plymouth Rock Assurance,1 a group of companies under one brand. Plymouth Rock Assurance offers car insurance in Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania and is underwritten by High Point. It provides standard coverage and some a la carte additional policies. Plymouth Rock also offers upgraded coverage packages with specialty coverage and benefits.
|Year founded||Prudential: 1875
Plymouth Rock Assurance: 1982
|Types of coverage||
Additional a la carte coverages may include:
|Where you can use it||Desktop portal or contact an agent directly|
If you purchased directly through Plymouth Rock Assurance:
If you purchased a policy from an independent agent:
What insurance does Prudential offer?
Prudential offers a wide range of insurance services and insurance products, including several different types of life insurance. Assurance, a Prudential company, is also a provider of health insurance policies.
If you live in Prudential's coverage area, you can select from a variety of insurance options distributed through Plymouth Rock Assurance. The required specifics vary depending on which state you live in.
- Bodily injury liability insurance: This helps pay for medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages in case you accidentally hit someone else. It doesn't generally cover you or any passengers in your own car.
- Property damage liability: This insurance helps pay for any damage that you cause in an accident, such as fixing someone's car that you rear-ended, replacing a fence you hit, etc.
- Comprehensive insurance: This coverage covers non-car crash damage to your vehicle. Comprehensive could cover damage from theft, storms, animals, and more.
- Collision insurance: This insurance can help cover damages to your car if you collide with another car or an object.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: Uninsured motorist coverage can help cover car accident expenses if the at-fault driver doesn’t have any coverage or doesn't have enough to cover your expenses.
- Medical payments: Can help cover your medical expenses resulting from a car accident, regardless of who is at fault.
Full coverage car insurance — a policy that includes liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage — may be worthwhile if you have an expensive car or spend a lot of time driving. Some lenders even require full coverage if you finance a car.
The company throws in some fun policyholder perks as well. The Prudential Pinstripe Perks Package can provide access to Yankees tickets, discounts on purchases from MLBShop.com, invitations to exclusive events, and more. Some benefits are subject to availability, and some restrictions apply.
In addition to the coverage options above, Plymouth Rock Assurance offers exclusive Assurance Packages that provide extra benefits, such as car rental coverage, roadside assistance, waiver of the deductible for windshield replacements, and more.
Essential Assurance packages are included with every policy. Some limits and restrictions apply, so refer to your policy or speak with an agent for full details.
- Guaranteed repairs: Plymouth Rock Assurance recommends auto repair shops where the company guarantees work performed.
- Door-to-door valet claim service: Plymouth Rock Assurance will pick up your car and deliver it to the repair shop and return it after work is complete.
- Car watch repair monitoring: Plymouth Rock Assurance will follow up on the progress of repairs with the auto repair shop to keep you informed of what’s happening.
- Get Home Safe®: If you’re unable to drive, Plymouth Rock Assurance offers a one-time, one-way taxi fare reimbursement.
- Crashbusters® mobile claim service: Plymouth Rock Assurance has a mobile claim service where a representative travels to handle the claim process.
- Online services: Customers can receive access to QuickPay, an online claim reporting tool, and eDocuments to help them file claims quickly and easily.
- Pledge of Assurance®: If Plymouth Rock fails to meet customer care standards, they will make a donation to your choice of select charities.
Other Assurance Packages
Along with the benefits that come with Essential Assurance, Plymouth Rock offers three upgrades: Assurance Plus, Assurance Preferred, and Assurance Premier.
Again, some limits and restrictions apply to each package, so refer to your policy or speak with an agent to make sure you understand what your policy provides. Some of the features include:
Includes all features of Essential Assurance and can be combined with Preferred or Premier, plus:
Includes all features of Essential Assurance plus:
Includes all features of Assurance Preferred plus:
|A la carte coverages|
Prudential: How cheap is it?
Finding the best car insurance for your family can take time and effort. To confirm you’re getting the best price possible, take advantage of as many discounts as possible.
How to find discounts
Prudential offers multiple discounts based on your chosen policy. You may be eligible for:
- Multi-car: Purchasing more than one auto insurance policy from a carrier can help you save money. The amount you can save varies. In general, the more cars you have insured with one company, the more you’ll save.
- Bundling: Purchasing an auto policy along with a home, renters, motorcycles, or life insurance policy from the same carrier can earn you a discount.
- Safe driver: Being a safe driver with no traffic violations or accidents on your record for a certain period can help you save money on your insurance premium. Check with your insurance agent to see whether you qualify.
- Anti-theft devices: Installing or driving a car that comes pre-equipped with devices such as alarms, GPS location units, or a hidden kill switch, among others, can make your car either less likely to be stolen or easier to recover if it is stolen.
- eDocuments: Going green is better for the planet and can help the carrier reduce overhead costs. Many carriers will reward customers for choosing electronic delivery with an extra discount on their policy.
How to maximize savings
There are many factors that affect car insurance rates, such as your age, gender, location, and even your credit score and credit history. To maximize your potential savings, consider the following:
- Raise your deductible. Raising your deductible, or the amount you are responsible for paying toward an insured loss, can help you save. Because you share more risk with the insurance carrier, they may lower your premium policy.
- Improve your credit. Not every state allows insurers to consider your credit score, but maintaining a good credit history can improve your car insurance savings if your state does allow it. Paying your bills on time, maintaining a good credit balance, and checking your credit report for mistakes or fraud can help you save.
- Be a safe driver. Drivers who don’t have speeding tickets, DUIs, or accidents on their record will likely see a lower premium than those that do. Insurance is about mitigating risk. The less risky your behavior on the road, the less the car insurance company is likely to charge you.
- Compare quotes and discounts. When researching how to save money on car insurance, it’s wise to compare at least three quotes and each company's discounts. It can also be a good idea to compare quotes between insurance agents and companies that sell directly to the end user to see if one is significantly lower.
How to get an insurance quote from Prudential
If you’re wondering how to get car insurance with Prudential, the process is a bit different than going to the main website and filling out a quote request. You can request a quote online, but you may have to contact a local Prudential or Plymouth Rock agent to complete your policy and confirm you’ve received all discounts available.
To get a car insurance quote from Prudential, you’ll need the following:
- Your full legal name and address
- Date of birth
- Name of your current insurance company
- Your most recent auto insurance coverage and limits
- How long you’ve been continuously insured
- How you use your cars (commuting, personal, etc.)
To request a quote contact an agent directly or:
1. Go to Plymouthrock.com and enter your zip code to confirm you’re eligible for coverage.
2. Enter your contact information, including full name, address, phone number, email address, birth date, gender, and marital status.
3. Confirm your license is in good standing and whether any drivers listed on the policy are away on active military assignment.
4. Enter information about your driving history, your vehicle’s year, make, model, safety devices, and if you use it for personal or business.
5. Provide information about your current coverage, review any discounts you might be eligible for, and choose your level of coverage.
6. Review your quote and decide whether you want to purchase.
Prudential auto insurance FAQs
Is Prudential auto insurance legit?
Prudential is a legitimate company that’s been in business for over a century. It has an A.M. Best rating of A+, which indicates the company is financially sound.
Plymouth Rock Assurance — the company through which Prudential distributes car insurance — has been around for over 30 years and offers several policyholder benefits, such as insurance discounts, online account management, and car pickups when you need repairs. Plymouth Rock Assurance also has a strong A.M. Best rating of A-.
How long does it take to get a policy with Prudential auto insurance?
Plymouth Rock Assurance, which distributes auto insurance policies for Prudential, doesn’t mention how long it’ll take to obtain car insurance on its website. However, it does mention that applying to get a quote could take just a few minutes. If you have specific questions about how long it takes to get a policy, consider reaching out to a local insurance agent.
What types of coverage does Prudential auto insurance offer?
Prudential auto coverage distributed through Plymouth Rock Assurance includes bodily injury liability, property damage liability, personal injury protection, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Car owners also have the option to add on collision and comprehensive coverage.
Extra coverage is available for roadside assistance, rental cars, and more. A Prudential Financial Professional can run through options and help you choose the appropriate coverage.
How do you contact Prudential auto insurance?
You can call to discuss auto insurance with one of the Prudential Financial Professionals listed on the Plymouth Rock Assurance website. To shop for insurance rates, you can request a quote over the phone by calling 844-325-9443 or submit an online quote request on the agent’s website.
If you’re insured and need to file a claim, you can contact your Prudential Financial Professional or file a claim online. From there, a claim representative will help you through the rest of the insurance claim process. You can also track the progress of your claim in your online account.
Prudential car insurance through Plymouth Rock Assurance is not available to everyone. If you live outside of the four states where Prudential is available (CT, NY, NJ, and PA), you’ll have to shop around for other insurers. Fortunately, FinanceBuzz makes it simple to compare quotes from the top car insurance companies online.
Even if you do decide to shop for Prudential insurance, you could still benefit from comparing rates and terms from other insurance providers to see what’s out there. Choosing auto insurance is important — carrying more coverage than you need can be a waste of money, and having too little coverage can be hard on your wallet if you get into an accident. With multiple auto insurance quotes on the table, you’re in a better position to determine which coverage is right for you.
FinanceBuzz researches a number of factors in each auto insurance provider to create our reviews. These factors include cost and discounts, complaints and customer satisfaction, coverage, and ease of use. We also gather information from sources such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and the Better Business Bureau to ensure we provide the most useful information to our readers.