Editor's noteThis card is no longer accepting applications. See our list of other secured credit cards for more options.
Secured credit cards are often a means to an end — they’re designed to help you build your credit so you can move on to bigger and better financial opportunities. But what if there was a product that didn’t have strict approval requirements, could help you build your credit, and also offered worthwhile benefits?
It might seem too good to be true, but that’s what’s advertised with Sable’s secured card product. In this Secured Sable ONE Credit Card review, we cover how this card works and what kind of value it brings to the table. This will help you decide whether it’s the right fit for you.
Who should get the Secured Sable ONE Credit Card?
The Sable Secured Credit Card, like most secured credit cards, is designed to help individuals with bad credit or limited credit history build their credit. It doesn’t have strict credit requirements, including no credit check and no need for a Social Security number (or U.S. credit history). It could also be a good choice for those who are new to the U.S. and trying to establish U.S. credit history.
This card also offers cashback rewards and built-in perks, such as cell phone insurance and car rental coverage. Considering most secured credit cards offer next to nothing in the form of rewards or benefits, the Sable Card is quite the catch.
|Card type||Secured/Cash Back|
|Credit card issuer||Coastal Community Bank|
|Credit card network||Mastercard|
|Reward rate||2% cash back on purchases at Amazon, Uber, Uber Eats, Whole Foods, Netflix, Spotify, and more; plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases|
|Recommended credit score||Bad, Poor|
|Foreign transaction fee||2%|
Sable Secured Credit Card benefits and perks
- No credit check: Sable doesn’t require a credit check for you to apply, which means there’s no impact to your credit score during the application process.
- No SSN needed: If you aren’t a U.S. citizen and don’t have a Social Security number (SSN), you can apply with your passport and U.S. visa. U.S. citizens are required to apply with their SSNs.
- Build credit: Sable credit activity reports to all three major credit bureaus, including Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion, and will show up on your credit report. If you’re able to build your credit score to 700+ in 12 months, Sable will reward you with $25 for your efforts.
- Earn cash back: Earn 2% cash back on purchases at Amazon, Uber, Uber Eats, Whole Foods, Netflix, Spotify, and more; plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases. Considering most secured credit cards don’t offer any rewards for purchases, this is a unique and valuable benefit.
- Graduate to unsecured: By following the Sable “Path to Unsecured Credit” plan, cardholders can graduate from a secured credit card to one that’s unsecured in as few as four months. To determine your eligibility to graduate, Sable will consider factors such as your monthly active usage, your on-time payment history, and your outstanding balance.
- Cell phone protection: Receive coverage for your phone against damage or theft if you pay your monthly cell phone bill with this card.
- Car rental insurance: Receive car rental coverage against damage or theft through Master Rental Insurance.
- New purchase insurance: Receive coverage against theft or damage of new purchases for 90 days.
- Price protection: Receive the difference in price if you purchase an item and then find the same item at a lower price during a set amount of time.
- Extended warranty coverage: Eligible items purchased with your card receive double the manufacturer’s (or store’s) warranty.
- Satisfaction guarantee: Receive coverage for eligible purchases that the merchant won’t accept for returns within 60 days of purchase.
- Travel assistance: Receive assistance with emergency roadside situations, destination information, and information for a network of physicians, embassies, and attorneys when traveling abroad.
- No foreign transaction fee: The Sable Secured Credit Card has no foreign transaction fees, so it’s a prime option for traveling.
- High security deposit limit: Most secured credit cards require a security deposit to create your credit line, and you’re often limited to how much money you can deposit. Sable lets you deposit up to $10,000, which would give you a $10,000 credit limit.
- Other Sable services: In addition to the Sable Secured Credit Card, you can also apply for other products, such as the Sable bank account and debit card. All of these products can be accessed and used through the Sable app, available on both iOS and Android devices.
Drawbacks to the Sable Credit Card
- No balance transfers: The Sable Credit Card doesn’t offer the opportunity to make balance transfers. However, most secured credit cards don’t have this feature.
- Limited reward categories: There’s not much you can do with this card if the reward categories don’t line up with your everyday expenses. The Sable Credit Card has some popular categories, but they might not work for everyone. For more flexibility, compare credit cards that earn rewards in the form of cash back, points, or miles.
Earning and redeeming cash back
Best ways to earn
To earn the most cash back with your Sable Secured Credit Card, use it as much as possible for purchases you already make. This could include paying for utilities (if credit cards are accepted), gas, groceries, entertainment, and more.
Remember, purchases at purchases at Amazon, Uber, Uber Eats, Whole Foods, Netflix, Spotify, and more earn 2% cash back. All other purchases earn 1% cash back.
|Purchases at Amazon, Uber, Uber Eats, Whole Foods, Netflix, Spotify, and more||2%|
|All other purchases||1%|
Maximizing your redemptions
There isn’t much to maximizing, or getting the most value from, your redemptions with the Sable Secured Credit Card. This card earns cash back and offers only one redemption option for your card rewards: statement credits applied to your account balance.
Sable Secured Credit Card FAQs
Is Sable a real credit card?
The Sable Secured Credit Card is a real credit card that’s offered by Sable in partnership with Coastal Community Bank. This card doesn’t have strict credit requirements and if you’re not a U.S. citizen you don’t need a Social Security number to apply. It could help you build your credit while offering rewards for purchases as well.
Is the Sable Credit Card safe?
The Sable Credit Card has protections in place that you would expect from any major card issuer. This includes zero liability protection so you aren’t liable for unauthorized purchases on your card. Additionally, the Sable mobile app lets you freeze and unfreeze your physical or virtual card, which could be helpful if the card has been lost or stolen.
What bank does the Sable Credit Card use?
Sable partners with Coastal Community Bank to offer banking services. This includes a secured credit card, checking account, and debit card. Coastal Community bank accounts are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) up to $250,000.
How much does Sable charge for late payments?
Sable doesn’t charge a late payment fee on its secured credit card. But you’ll still have to pay interest at a rate of for any balance you carry and don’t pay off on time.
Other cards to consider
You can also explore other secured credit cards — including the Capital One Platinum Secured Mastercard and OpenSky Secured Visa Credit Card.
The Capital One Platinum Secured Mastercard is offered by Capital One and is part of the Mastercard network. Capital One lets you see if you’re preapproved for some of its products, including this card — which means you can see if your chances for approval are high without any risk to your credit. In addition, the Capital One Platinum Secured offers automatic credit line reviews (for automatic credit limit increases) and has no fees for authorized users.
For more details, check out our Capital One Platinum Secured Mastercard review.
The OpenSky Secured Visa doesn’t require a credit check to apply and can be used anywhere Visa cards are accepted. The application process can be completed in less than five minutes, with only four steps to go through. You can potentially build your credit quickly with this card because OpenSky reports to all three major credit bureaus.
For more details, check out our OpenSky Secured Visa review.