Cashback rewards can be a great way to earn money on the purchases you make every day. For people looking for a simple flat-rate cashback credit card with no limit on spending, look no further than Citi Double Cash Card. With its easy-to-understand rewards program and $0 annual fee, this Citi card is beneficial no matter what type of spending you do most frequently.
Earn Cash Back Twice
Who should get the Citi Double Cash Card?
The Citi Double Cash Card is ideal for people who love earning cash back, but don’t love complicated credit card rewards programs. With this Citi card, you don’t need to worry about how much cash back you’ll earn with designated spending categories: You up to 2% cash back on all purchases: 1% as you buy and 1% as you pay.
The Citi Double Cash card is also great for budget-conscious members, since there’s a $0 annual fee. If you’re looking for a card that offers a sizable welcome bonus, however, you may be disappointed — this credit card offers no sign-up bonus.
For frequent travelers, the Citi Double Cash likely isn’t the best credit card to use overseas. It carries a foreign transaction fee of 3%.
It’s also a good time to note that while this card's cash back is good, other credit cards offer up to 5% in specific categories. The Citi Double Cash Card might be better as a secondary credit card to be utilized when your primary card doesn’t earn at a higher rate.
|Card type||Cash Back|
|Reward rate||up to 2% cash back on all purchases: 1% as you buy and 1% as you pay|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent|
|Intro APR||0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
Citi Double Cash benefits and perks
- Generous rewards for all categories: up to 2% cash back on all purchases: 1% as you buy and 1% as you pay. Cardmembers don’t have to worry about tracking rotating categories; earning is the same no matter what spending category.
- Lengthy introductory APR: New cardmembers can enjoy a 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months after account opening, making this a great card to help you consolidate and pay down existing credit card debt. Note that there is a balance transfer fee, which is a percentage of the amount of each transfer. At present, the fee is $5 or 3%, whichever is greater. And, of course, if you don't pay your balance transfer off by the end of the intro period, the remaining balance will be subject to the regular APR for balance transfers.
- $0 annual fee: Citi Double Cash Card users can enjoy rewards without having to worry about annual fees. That means all the cash back you earn can stay in your pocket.
- Card security: Citi takes security seriously. Citi will send you alerts if there’s any unusual activity on your credit card, and you’re not responsible for any charges from unauthorized purchases. Citi also offers something called The Lost Wallet Service. If you lose your card, Citi will replace it, generally within 24 hours. Emergency cash is available to get you by until your new card shows up.
Drawbacks to this card
- No intro bonus: While the Citi Double Cash does have great rewards earning power, it doesn't come with any sort of welcome bonus.
- No intro APR on purchases: The interest rate on balance transfers is a great benefit of this card, but that same benefit does not apply to purchases. You'll pay the regular purchase APR on all of your spending if you don't pay off your balance each month.
- Foreign transaction: If you plan to travel outside the U.S., then the Citi Double Cash won't be a good fit for you as it has a foreign transaction fee of 3%.
Earning & redeeming cash back
Potential earnings in years one and two
Here's a look how your cash back can add up with the Citi Double Cash Card. To calculate these values, we used a point valuation of 1 cent per reward earned.
Remember, this is an estimation. The actual value will be determined by how much you spend and in which categories you spend.
Year one earnings: $670
Year two earnings: $670
These values are based on the FinanceBuzz Credit Card Rewards Valuation Model which takes a look at points earned via spending, the sign-up bonus, and the annual fee.
Best ways to earn
Earning cash back is a breeze with the Citi Double Cash Card. Members will up to 2% cash back on all purchases: 1% as you buy and 1% as you pay, and there are no caps to how much cash back you can earn.
Cardholders of the Citi Double Cash Card earn unlimited 1% for every dollar spent on anything. The other 1% is earned when you pay for your purchases. Minimum payments must be made to earn cashback rewards.
For people wanting to earn as much cash back as possible, you’ll need to make this Citi card your primary credit card. This may limit your rewards on other cards with higher earning potential. For example, there are credit cards that earn 5% cash back in specific categories, such as dining, gas station, or grocery store spending. If your expenses in those categories are significant, you may miss out if you use Citi Double Cash card as your everyday card. If that sounds like you, then the Citi Double Cash is probably a great second card to have, while you also hold a more specialized rewards card for certain categories of spending.
Maximizing your redemptions
Cashback rewards can be redeemed once your rewards balance reaches a minimum of $25. However, cashback rewards can expire if you don’t make any purchases or payments for 12 months.
Cardmembers have four redemption options with the Citi Double Cash Card:
- Receive a check
- Receive a statement credit on your card account
- Receive a credit on a linked Citi savings, Citi checking account, or another checking account used to make Citi credit card payments at least twice
- Convert your cashback rewards into Citi ThankYou points
While opting for a check or account credit may be the easiest way to redeem rewards, converting your cash back into Citi ThankYou points could be the most lucrative option. This basically turns your cashback rewards into travel rewards. Your cash back transfers at a 1:1 ratio, so $1 of cash back equals 100 Citi ThankYou points.
And once you convert your rewards into ThankYou points, you can redeem them for gift cards, merchandise, or even to book travel through the Citi portal. Even better, if you have a Citibank travel rewards card, like the Citi Prestige or Citi Premier card (perhaps as part of the Citi trifecta), you can use one of those cards to transfer your ThankYou points directly to more than a dozen Citi transfer partners.
Citi Double Cash Card FAQs
How does the Citi Double Cash Card work?
On all spending, cardholders can up to 2% cash back on all purchases: 1% as you buy and 1% as you pay. It's as simple as that and isn't as complicated as other credit cards that offer rotating bonus categories.
Is the Citi Double Cash Card a Visa or Mastercard?
The Citi Double Cash Card is part of the Mastercard family.
Is the Citi Double Cash Card hard to get?
Your eligibility for this card is based on several factors, including your credit score. Your credit score is a measurement of your creditworthiness and is based on your existing debts, payment history, and more. The Citi Double Cash Card requires at least a credit rating of good to excellent.
What is the credit limit on the Citi Double Cash Card?
There is no set credit limit for this Citi card. Credit limits are determined by personal factors such as your annual salary, other income, a review of your debts, and your credit history. Limits are up to Citi's discretion and can be as low as $500. Citi informs new cardholders of their credit limit when they receive their credit card.
Will Citi automatically raise your limit?
Citi periodically raises the limits of their cardmembers if they meet certain criteria. Cardmembers that share income and housing information with Citi may qualify for automatic limit increases. You can also manually request a credit limit increase at any time.
Does the Citi Double Cash Card give you a sign-up bonus?
No, unfortunately, the Citi Double Cash Card does not have a sign-up bonus as part of its standard offer.
How do I redeem cash back on the Citi Double Cash Card?
Cash back rewards are redeemed either in the form of a check, a statement credit, or a credit to an eligible checking or savings account. You must have a minimum cash back balance of $25 before you can redeem rewards. Redemptions can be made through your Citi account online or by calling Citi at 1-855-473-4583.
You may also choose to convert your cash back rewards into Citi ThankYou points.
Does the Citi Double Cash Card charge a late fee?
If you make a late payment, you are in luck with the Citi Double Cash Card. There is no late fee for your first missed payment. However, if you miss your due date ever again, you will be charged a late fee of up to $40. You can find your due date on your Citi credit card bill and it is also easy to pay through the Citibank online portal. Be aware that you also risk losing your introductory APR if you make a late payment. Your balance will become subject to the regular variable APR.
Other cards to consider
Though the Citi Double Cash is widely considered to be one of the best cashback credit cards available, it isn't the only cashback card that's worth having. Other credit card companies offer similar cards, and some of them even come with a sign-up bonus in addition to having a balance transfer offer.
If you want reliable cashback rewards and a sign-up bonus, consider the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards card. This card earns 1.5% cash back rewards on every purchase, every day, no matter the category. New cardmembers can also earn a $150 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months, all for a $0 annual fee.
Another cashback card to check out is the Chase Freedom Unlimited. New cardmembers earn a $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months and 5% on grocery store purchases (on up to $12,000 in spending in the first year). This Chase card also earns 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% on dining and drugstore purchases, and 1.5% on all other purchases and has a $0 annual fee.
Earn Cash Back Twice
Citi Double Cash Card
Citi Double Cash Card
Earn cash back twice: 1% when you buy + 1% when you pay
See how these cards compare:
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
- $150 early spend bonus
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months
- 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
Chase Freedom Unlimited
- $200 sign-up bonus
- 5% cash back grocery store purchases for the first year (up to $12k)
- Bonus rewards on travel, dining, and drugstores
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR on purchases