The Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card is a simple cash rewards credit card that makes a compelling case to be your go-to card for everyday purchases. It offers a generous welcome bonus, low fees, and the opportunity to earn unlimited cash rewards.
But in a market where other cards offer similar perks, how do the benefits of the Wells Fargo Active Cash compare?
Learn more about the Wells Fargo Active Cash Visa benefits and how they could bring value to your card experience.
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card at a glance
The Wells Fargo Active Cash is considered a rewards credit card because it earns 2% cash rewards on purchases. It also has a $0 annual fee and offers a welcome bonus of $200 after spending $500 in the first 3 months.
These benefits make the Active Cash a competitive product if you’re looking for a $0 annual fee card that earns cash rewards and has a generous welcome bonus.
Learn more details in the Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card review.
The Wells Fargo Active Cash stands out because many rewards cards don’t follow the simple strategy of a flat-rate earning structure. You typically have to keep track of multiple bonus categories to help ensure you earn the most rewards possible.
The Active Cash makes it easy by offering the same 2% rate on all purchases. Of cashback rewards cards that offer a flat earning rate for most purchases, few offer as much as 2%. Providing 1.5% is often more common but less valuable.
Let’s dive deeper into the Wells Fargo Active Cash Visa benefits.
7 benefits of the Wells Fargo Active Cash Visa card
1. Generous welcome bonus
The Wells Fargo Active Cash enables you to earn a $200 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 in purchases in the first 3 months.
This generous offer is on par with many other rewards credit cards. It allows new cardholders to earn a cash rewards bonus on purchases they’re likely already planning on making.
Considering how quickly everyday purchases such as groceries and gas tend to add up over weeks and months, the time frame to earn this bonus might be more than sufficient. For example, spending $100 per week on gas, groceries, eating out, and entertainment would equal $1,200 in 12 weeks (about three months).
2. Unlimited cash rewards
How does being able to earn unlimited cash rewards sound?
With the Active Cash, you could earn 2% cash rewards on purchases. This earning rate is often considered excellent for cards that earn flat-rate cash rewards. Many similar flat-rate cards earn cash rewards at this rate or lower.
Additionally, having a flat rewards rate keeps the rewards process straightforward. It’s common for other rewards cards to offer different bonus categories, including rotating categories that change every few months. But this might increase the difficulty of tracking your earning rates.
The Active Cash keeps its earning capabilities simple by offering a flat 2% rate on all purchases.
3. $0 annual fee
The Wells Fargo Active Cash has a $0 annual fee. The $0 annual fee eliminates the need to offset any annual costs with the rewards or card perks you receive each year.
This benefit also increases your likelihood of keeping this card for years to come. If you’re paying $0 per year, there’s virtually no cost downside in keeping your credit card account active. Add in the cash rewards you could earn plus other benefits, and you end up with a solid option for earning rewards on a daily basis.
4. Low introductory APR
Cards that offer a 0% intro APR help you avoid paying interest charges on balance transfers or purchases for a certain period of time.
The Active Cash Visa card offers 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on qualifying balance transfers, then a 20.24%, 25.24%, or 29.99% Variable APR. It also offers 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months from account opening, then a 20.24%, 25.24%, or 29.99% Variable APR.
Keep in mind that balance transfers typically have balance transfer fees. The balance transfer fee on this card is 3% for 120 days from account opening, then up to 5%; min: $5.
See our list of 0% APR credit cards for more options.
5. Cell phone protection
Having the right card to pay your cell phone bill could enable you to earn bonus rewards while receiving cell phone protection.
If you pay your entire cell phone bill using the Wells Fargo Active Cash card, you might receive coverage for damage or theft of that cell phone. You are allowed up to two claims per year with a maximum reimbursement of $600 per claim minus a $25 deductible.
6. Various redemption options
The Wells Fargo Active Cash offers several ways to redeem your cash rewards, including:
- Statement credits
- ATM cash withdrawals in $20 increments using a Wells Fargo ATM or debit card
- Physical or electronic gift cards
- PayPal checkout purchases
- Charitable donations
These options could be useful. For example, redeeming your rewards for travel is a practical perk for people who travel often. Wells Fargo credit cards that offer rewards, including Wells Fargo Active Cash, typically give access to travel redemptions through the Wells Fargo Rewards program.
Some similar credit cards often have fewer redemption options. Having access to travel redemptions on a cash rewards card from other issuers is typically uncommon.
7. Visa Signature
Visa cards are accepted in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. The Wells Fargo Active Cash is a Visa Signature card, which means it offers certain Visa Signature benefits to cardholders, including:
- Visa Signature Concierge Services: Receive 24/7 access to a complimentary concierge service that could help with travel, dining, and entertainment inquiries. This might include making a reservation at a restaurant or finding tickets for an event.
- Luxury Hotel Collection: Receive access to the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection. This is a collection of hotels worldwide that work with Visa Signature cardholders to offer specific benefits. These benefits could include automatic room upgrades, VIP guest status, complimentary breakfast for two, $25 food or beverage credit, and more.
The Wells Fargo Active Cash also provides these benefits:
- Contactless payments: The Active Cash is updated with contactless technology, allowing you to quickly and easily tap your card to pay wherever you see the contactless symbol.
- Online and mobile banking: Access your Wells Fargo online account through a web browser or mobile app if you’re on the go.
- Security features: Keep your account secure with security features such as voice verification and two-step authentication.
- Travel and emergency assistance services: If you’re traveling away from home and needing help, your card’s benefits administrator can connect you to local emergency and assistance resources 24/7. Available services include medical referral assistance, legal referral assistance, emergency transportation assistance, emergency translation services, emergency ticket replacement, and more. Keep in mind that this doesn’t cover the cost of any services you choose to use.
- Roadside dispatch: Cardholders have access to a pay-per-use roadside assistance program. There’s no membership or annual fee requirement, but you pay for the services provided out of pocket. Services include standard towing, changing tires, fuel delivery, and more.
Is the Wells Fargo Active Cash Visa card worth it?
The Wells Fargo Active Cash card might be worth having, depending on your lifestyle and financial goals. If you compare credit cards with similar rewards and benefits, the Active Cash holds its own against the competition.
This isn’t because of any singular benefit that stands out, but because this card has many solid benefits that contribute to a balanced product. You could earn a welcome bonus and unlimited rewards, and it has a $0 annual fee.
On top of that, you could also benefit from a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months from account opening (then 20.24%, 25.24%, or 29.99% Variable APR), cell phone protection, multiple redemption options, and Visa Signature benefits.
However, there are situations where the Active Cash might not be worth your consideration. For example, if:
- You prefer a different credit card issuer
- You want to earn travel rewards (points or miles)
- You want premium benefits (and don’t mind paying an annual fee)
- You want additional protections or warranties for purchases you make
- You want a higher earning rate on specific spending categories
- You want a card for making purchases abroad without paying foreign transaction fees (this card has a 3% foreign transaction fee)
The Wells Fargo Active Cash has just about everything you might want in a straightforward cash rewards card. There’s a generous welcome bonus, a $0 annual fee, and unlimited earning potential.
Throw in additional benefits, including cell phone protection and 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months from account opening (then 20.24%, 25.24%, or 29.99% Variable APR), and you’ve got a well-rounded product.
But this card might not be the best fit for everyone. Consider our list of the best cashback credit cards for more top recommendations.
Lucrative, Flat-Rate Cash Rewards
FinanceBuzz writers and editors score cards based on a number of objective features as well as our expert editorial assessment. Our partners do not influence how we rate products.
$200 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 in purchases in the first 3 months
Earn 2% cash rewards on purchases