Uber is continuing to expand mobility with the nationwide rollout of its newest ride option. On Tuesday, Uber announced it’s giving riders “an upgrade to your everyday ride,” with Uber Comfort. The newest product, built for riders who want — as the name suggests — an extra level of comfort as they get to where they need to go, is being rolled out in 43 cities across the country, plus Ottawa, Canada. Here is what you need to know about Uber's upgrade as well as how you can offset the extra cost with the right credit cards.
Slotted between the popular UberX option and the top-tier Uber Black service, riders who choose Uber Comfort can expect to pay 20-40% more per ride than an UberX. With the higher price, however, comes a few added features in return:
- Newer, mid-size cars: Travel comfortably in a car that meets “consistent vehicle make and model standards.”
- Extra legroom: Minimum legroom requirements so you can stretch out and enjoy some added space beyond what’s required for UberX.
- Rider preferences: Request your ideal temperature in advance and let the driver know if you prefer a quiet ride.
While some of these benefits are drawn from Uber Black and Black SUV rides — particularly temperature control and quiet mode — this collection of rider preference features is unique to Uber Comfort, according to Uber’s announcement post. What sets Uber Comfort apart from other services is the option for a roomier ride.
It may not be a premium service, but if you’re willing to pay for an enhanced experience beyond a regular UberX ride so you can stretch out, blast the A/C, and ride in silence, Uber Comfort may be the way to go. We’ve all been there: hoping for a little more legroom than what we got, maybe a little quiet time for a nap or to get some work done, and who wouldn’t want the perfect climate welcoming us already as we climb inside?
While these upgrades are definitely not free, several of the best travel credit cards can help offset the added cost. The Platinum Card from American Express, for instance, offers cardmembers up to $200 in annual credits for Uber rides, while the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card boasts a $300 travel credit that can be used to erase your Uber costs.
To qualify to drive for Uber Comfort, drivers need a car that meets the make, model, year, and legroom requirements, in addition to having a driver rating of 4.85 or higher. This list of vehicles that provide the minimum requirements for Uber Comfort is pretty extensive, but includes the Toyota Camry, Dodge Durango, Audi SQ7, Chevy Tahoe, and more.
Uber Comfort is now available in the following cities:
Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charleston, Charlotte, Chicago, Connecticut, Dallas, Fresno, Hampton Roads, Houston, Honolulu, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madison, Memphis, Milwaukee, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, Omaha, Orange County, Ottawa, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, Rhode Island, Richmond, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Tucson, Wichita, and Washington D.C.
Easy-to-Earn Unlimited Rewards
- Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Earn 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases
- Longer intro APR on qualifying purchases and balance transfers
- No foreign transaction fees
- Apply Now
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire.
- 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases.
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want - you're not limited to specific websites with blackout dates or restrictions.
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for travel or dining purchases, such as flights, hotel stays, car and vacation rentals, baggage fees, and also at restaurants including takeout.
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, 18.24% - 28.24% Variable APR will apply. A 3% fee applies to all balance transfers.
- If you're a Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase. That means instead of earning an unlimited 1.5 points for every $1, you could earn 1.87-2.62 points for every $1 you spend on purchases.
- Contactless Cards - The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap.
- This online only offer may not be available if you leave this page or if you visit a Bank of America financial center. You can take advantage of this offer when you apply now.
Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
Why we like it