Editor's note: The Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard is no longer available and this page is no longer regularly updated. If you're looking for a credit card with a high rewards rate, flexible reward options, and a generous welcome bonus, consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card instead.
A good travel rewards credit card is worth its weight in gold to its cardholders.
And, while there’s certainly a lot of competition among best credit cards, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard remains a favorite because of its high rewards rate, flexible reward options, and awesome sign-up bonus.
Standout benefits of the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard
1. It has an awesome sign-up bonus. Enjoy 70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days.
2. The rewards add up fast. You’ll earn up to 2X miles for every dollar you spend.
3. Your rewards keep on giving. When redeeming miles, you’ll get a 5% miles rebate to use the next time (hard not to love that).
4. Reward options are super flexible. You’ll be able to redeem rewards on nearly any travel purchase, including airfare, hotels, cruises, and more in the form of a travel statement credit.
5. Miles never expire. As long as your account is open, your reward miles will never expire.
6. No foreign transaction fees. So you can travel abroad without worrying about fees.
Why we like it
It’s one of the most flexible travel credit cards available
When it comes to booking a trip, flexibility is key. Luckily, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard has you covered with super flexible reward redemptions.
Once you’re ready to redeem, rewards can be booked however you’d like – whether that be directly through an airline or hotel, travel agent, or travel website. The Barclaycard Arrival Plus will then reimburse your travel expenses with the reward miles in your account.
This option is especially beneficial for budget travelers since it allows you to snag the best deals whenever they become available.
Here are a few examples of how easy the process is:
Reimbursement Example 1: Let’s say JetBlue has an incredible sale on airfare and you quickly book a $100 roundtrip ticket to San Diego using your Barclaycard Arrival Plus.
Once the purchase shows on your statement, you would simply select and submit the expense for reimbursement using your miles; when the transaction clears, you’ll be jetting off to San Diego for free thanks to your rewards program.
Reimbursement Example 2: If you’re planning a trip with a group of friends and making reservations through a travel agent, you can use your miles to be reimbursed once the trip is booked.
After using your Barclaycard Arrival Plus to pay for your travel reservations, you would simply log into your account, pull up your statement, and tag the expense for reimbursement. Once it’s been processed, you’ll see a credit on your statement for the amount covered by your reward miles.
The sign-up bonus is worth getting excited over
A generous sign-up bonus is always a factor when searching for the best travel credit card and the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard doesn’t disappoint.
Rewards add up FAST
Building a stockpile of rewards with this card is easy – you’ll earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on this card! Most credit card reward rates are 1%, so this high rate of rewards is a keeper.
Get miles back every time you redeem
Each mile is worth 1 cent, and when you redeem them, you also get a redemption bonus. You’ll get 5% bonus points back to use toward your next redemption. This essentially means you'll never run out of miles.
You're in control of your card
Using the Barclays mobile app, you can instantly secure your accounts by locking your card through Barclays SecurHold protection — a huge relief if you think your card's been compromised.
No need to worry about hidden terms and conditions
As with all rewards credit cards, worrying about blackout dates, mileage caps, and reward expirations are common. However, you won’t need to worry about that with the Barclaycard Arrival Plus.
There’s no cap on the number of award miles you can earn, no blackout dates, and as long as your account is open, miles never expire.
Another great redemption tip is you can redeem miles for your entire trip or just a portion - you decide what’s best for you.
Traveling couldn’t be easier
This card carries no foreign transaction fee, making it a must-have for traveling abroad. Also, it’s chip-enabled and PIN capabilities make it a secure choice to use while traveling abroad.
There’s a built-in support network
One of the reasons we love this card is because of the emphasis on customer experience.
When you sign-up for the card, you not only receive a powerful travel rewards card, but you also gain access to the Barclaycard Travel Community which connects travelers across the globe and rewards them with bonus miles for sharing their travel stories.
Plus, you get World Elite Mastercard benefits
As an added benefit, this card is on the World Elite Mastercard platform, which offers cardmembers with high-end perks such as:
- Complimentary concierge service and access to travel advisors to help you plan trips
- Access to luxury hotels and resorts, plus perks such as complimentary breakfast
- Access to premium offers and upgrades on certain airlines
- Access to Priceless Experiences, such as Priceless Cities and Priceless Golf
- Support from an identity-theft hotline
- Travel protection, purchase security, trip cancellation and interruption insurance, rental car insurance, and more
Alternatives to the Barclay card
As good as this rewards card from Barclays credit cards is (if you still have it) or was (if you missed it), you may want to consider a different credit card offer from another credit card issuer:
If you prefer cash back
A high rewards rate is only good if it fits your lifestyle, so if traveling isn’t really your thing and you’d prefer a cash back rewards card, the Chase Freedom Unlimited® may be better for you. You’ll earn a rewards rate of 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services and unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
Plus, there's no annual fee, and you can earn unlimited matched cash back. Use your card for all your purchases and at the end of your first year, Chase will automatically match all the cash back you earned (there is no limit to how much you can earn; every dollar in cash back rewards you earn is a dollar Chase will match).
If you’re loyal to a specific airline
Belonging to an airline loyalty program isn’t a deal breaker for getting the Barclaycard Arrival Plus card by any means, but if you’re able to get more value out of reward miles or points through a loyalty program, you may be better off with a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card instead. This card allows you to transfer points to several major travel programs at a 1:1 ratio, which if you’re skilled at stretching rewards, could mean squeezing as much as 5 cents out of each point.
This card earns 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®; 3X points on dining, select streaming services, and eligible online grocery purchases; 2X points on all other travel purchases, and 1X points per $1 on all other eligible purchases. And you get a sweet sign-up bonus offer: Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
If you don’t plan to travel abroad
If you typically stick with domestic travel, the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card may be a better match for you. The Venture Rewards Card features chip-and-signature technology (vs. chip and PIN) which is standard all around the U.S. and it has a lower $95 annual fee.
This card earns 2 miles per dollar on every purchase, every day and 5 miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel. And you get a great sign-up bonus offer: Earn a one-time bonus of 75,000 miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
What happened to Barclaycard Arrival Plus?
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus was a great card but it is no longer available for new applicants. You can still apply for other types of travel cards. This includes many cards from top issuers, such as Chase, American Express, and Capital One. To learn more about available travel cards, check out our list of the best travel credit cards.
Does the Barclay Arrival Plus have travel insurance?
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard has these travel insurance benefits:
- Auto rental collision damage waiver
- Travel accident insurance
- Baggage delay coverage
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance
How do I redeem my Barclaycard Arrival points?
Barclaycard Arrival miles can be redeemed through your Barclays online account. Redemption options start at 2,500 miles and include travel statement credits, cashback statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
Travel redemptions offer the best value at 2,500 miles for $25 in travel credits. Cash back is 2,500 miles for $12.50 and gift cards are 5,000 miles for $25. Qualifying travel redemptions include airfare, hotel stays, car rentals, and more.
If you’re looking for a rewards card to serve as a powerful travel companion around the globe, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard is a solid choice. With so many incredible benefits and a ton of flexibility, you’ll be booking for your first rewards trip in no time.
Editor's note: The Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard is no longer available. If you're looking to earn travel rewards quickly consider one of our highly recommended best travel credit cards.
Easy-to-Earn Unlimited Rewards
- Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Earn 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases
- Longer intro APR on qualifying purchases and balance transfers
- No foreign transaction fees
- Apply Now
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire as long as your account remains open.
- 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases.
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want - you're not limited to specific websites with blackout dates or restrictions.
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for travel or dining purchases, such as flights, hotel stays, car and vacation rentals, baggage fees, and also at restaurants including takeout.
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, 18.24% - 28.24% Variable APR will apply. A 3% fee applies to all balance transfers.
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards® member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase. That means instead of earning an unlimited 1.5 points for every $1, you could earn 1.87-2.62 points for every $1 you spend on purchases.
- Contactless Cards - The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap.
- This online only offer may not be available if you leave this page or if you visit a Bank of America financial center. You can take advantage of this offer when you apply now.
Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
Why we like it