Back in November of 2018, Capital One credit cards launched its transferable points program, giving Venture and Spark cardholders a valuable option for redeeming their miles. Up until then, the only option had been to redeem miles as a statement credit applied towards specific travel purchases, with each mile being worth one cent.
Yesterday, Capital One’s travel partners were further expanded by the addition of its first hotel transfer partners. Plus, Capital One added a more valuable transfer ratio for one popular airline partner. These moves come after the partnership between Capital One and Hotels.com recently ended, (this had given cardholders the ability to earn unlimited 10X miles on eligible bookings made through Hotels.com).
If you’re bummed about losing the Hotels.com benefit, you also might be curious if these new changes balance things back out. Let’s look at these new transfer partners and how the value of your transferred points pencils out.
Capital One adds Wyndham and Accor as transfer partners
Effective today, Feb. 4, 2020, eligible cardholders can transfer their Capital One miles to two new hotel programs: Wyndham Rewards and Accor Live Limitless. Previously, Capital One’s transfer program only included airlines, so this move makes Capital One travel rewards credit cards more valuable for frequent visitors to either of these families of hotels — it also makes Capital One the only US credit card transfer partner for both Wyndham and Accor.
Here’s how your miles will transfer:
- You can transfer your Capital One miles to Accor Live Limitless (ALL) at a 2:1 ratio
- Example: 1,000 Capital One miles = 500 ALL Rewards points
- You can transfer your Capital One miles to Wyndham Rewards at a 2:1.5 ratio
- Example: 1,000 Capital One miles = 750 Wyndham Rewards points
JetBlue transfers are now more valuable
On top of adding Wyndham and Accor as transfer partners, Capital One miles are now transferrable to JetBlue at a 2:1.5 ratio — up from the previous ratio of 2:1. This means 1,000 Capital One miles now equals 750 JetBlue TrueBlue points.
TrueBlue was originally brought on as a Capital One transfer partner in May of 2019. However, the initial transfer ratio was 2:1 (1,000 Capital One miles = 500 TrueBlue points). The great thing about this is that the JetBlue TrueBlue program is more or less fixed, meaning the value of a point doesn’t fluctuate much — no matter how you book. So an increase in the transfer rate is a real increase in the value of your points.
Are these new options worth taking advantage of?
The addition of Capital One’s first hotel transfer partners is a huge step when you consider the newness of the program. But, as always, you should take the time to run the numbers to make sure transferring to any travel partner is the financially best choice. Since you can use Capital One miles to erase travel purchases at a rate of one cent per mile, you’ll want to get at least the same value when you transfer your miles to any of these new programs.
To find the value of your points, divide the dollar amount of your redemption by the number of miles or points required for the same redemption. This will show you how much your points are worth. For example, say a room at a Wyndham hotel costs $115 per night or 15,000 points. If you divide $115 by 15,000 points you get a per-point value of .76 cents apiece (115 / 15,000 = .0076). In this case, you’d be better off just paying cash with your Capital One card and then “erasing” your travel purchase after the fact. With this strategy, each point is valued at one cent apiece.
In regards to the addition of Wyndham, with the recent devaluation to the Wyndham program (which made their points worth less than before), Capital One cardholders might not find the ability to transfer their points to Wyndham all that appealing. However, if you hold an eligible Capital One card and frequently stay at Wyndham properties, this option will likely be beneficial to you. Once again, just always run the math to find your best redemption option.
Best credit cards for earning Capital One miles
If Capital One’s growing list of transfer partner has grabbed your attention and you don’t currently have a Capital One card, here are the four of the best travel credit cards from Capital One that allow you to transfer your miles to their travel partners:
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Earn 60,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, then earn 5X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel and 2X miles on all other purchases.
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card: Earn 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in the first 3 months, then earn 5X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel and 1.25X miles on all other purchases.
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business: Earn 50,000 miles after spending $4,500 in the first 3 months, then earn 5X miles on rental cars and hotels booked through Capital One Travel, and 2X miles on every purchase, every day.
- Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business: Earn 20,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, then earn 5x miles on hotel and rental car bookings made through capital one travel, and an unlimited 1.5x miles on all other purchases made with all cards associated with the account.
Capital One’s addition of its first hotel transfer partners and its enhancement of its TrueBlue partnership is a step in the right direction, especially given how new the program is. With yesterday’s announcement, Capital One’s list of partners now totals 17.
More advanced points-and-miles aficionados might not be as excited about these announcements, but it’s always a good day when cardholders are given more options for how they can choose to redeem their points and miles.
Incredibly Flexible Rewards
up to 5X miles
- 60,000 bonus mile welcome offer
- 2X miles on every purchase, every day
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit
- No foreign transaction fees
- Has annual fee
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months
- 5X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel and 2X miles on all other purchases