The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is a popular cashback card from Capital One that offers an early spend bonus, a simple cashback rate, and intro APR offers.
But is it a good card?
Overall, the Capital One Quicksilver is a good credit card, but whether it’s a good credit card for you depends on your preferences and financial goals. Let’s look at the pros and cons of the card to see if it deserves a spot in your wallet or if you might want to consider other options.
Is the Capital One Quicksilver a good credit card?
Yes, the Capital One Quicksilver is a good credit card. But whether it’s the best option for you depends on what you’re looking for in a card.
If you want a simple cashback card for everyday earning potential that also provides an early spend bonus and intro APR offers, this could be an excellent option.
But it might not make sense if you don’t have a good or excellent credit score, would rather earn travel rewards, or want higher cashback card rates.
|Card type||Cash back|
|Credit card issuer||Capital One|
|Credit card network||Mastercard|
|Welcome bonus||Earn a one-time $200 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening|
|Reward rate||1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day; and 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel (terms apply)|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent, Good|
|Intro APR||0% introductory APR for 15 months on purchases, then 19.99% - 29.99% (variable) APR
0% introductory APR for 15 months on balance transfers, then 19.99% - 29.99% (variable) APR; 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months (or at a promotional APR that Capital One may offer you at any other time; No fee for amounts transferred at the Transfer APR)
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
Pros of the Capital One Quicksilver Rewards card
- Early spend bonus: Earn a one-time $200 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
- Simple earning rate: 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day; and 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel (terms apply).
- $0 annual fee: With a $0 annual fee, you don’t have to worry about offsetting an annual cost.
- Multiple redemption options: Redeem your rewards for statement credits, gift cards, Amazon and PayPal purchases, and travel through Capital One Travel. Additional options for redeeming include covering recent purchases and receiving a check in the mail.
- Intro purchase APR: New cardholders receive 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases, then 19.99% - 29.99% (variable) regular APR.
- Intro balance transfer APR: You also receive 0% intro APR for 15 months on balance transfers, then 19.99% - 29.99% (variable) APR. The Capital One Quicksilver’s balance transfer fee is 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months (or at a promotional APR that Capital One may offer you at any other time; No fee for amounts transferred at the Transfer APR).
- Capital One Travel: Use the Capital One Quicksilver card to access the Capital One Travel portal for exclusive prices on flights, hotel stays, and more. Pay with your rewards, your card, or a combination of the two.
- Capital One Entertainment: Access exclusive music, sports, and dining experiences through Capital One Entertainment. This could include pre-sales, special event tickets, tickets for suites, and more.
- Capital One Dining: Access exclusive cardholder-only reservations at restaurants and tickets to special culinary experiences.
- No foreign transaction fees: This card has no foreign transaction fees to worry about, which makes it a potential option for making purchases abroad.
- Extended warranty protection: Receive additional extended warranty protection on eligible purchases.
- Travel accident insurance: Receive travel accident insurance when you use your card to purchase an eligible fare.
Roadside assistance: The Quicksilver Cash Rewards card also comes with a roadside assistance benefit, offering peace of mind if you ever find yourself stranded with a flat tire or a dead battery.
CreditWise access: This credit card offers access to CreditWise, which cardmembers can use to get free credit score access and receive alerts about changes to their Experian or Transunion credit reports.
Travel assistance: If someone steals your card or you lose it during your travels, you can get an emergency replacement card and a cash advance.
- 24/7 concierge service: Receive 24/7 access to a comprehensive concierge service for assistance with dining, entertainment, and travel needs.
Cons of the Capital One Quicksilver Rewards card
- No common bonus categories: Most eligible purchases typically offer the same percentage flat-rate cash rewards on this card. This could be helpful if you often have a wide variety of expenses. But you might consider getting a different or another card if you have loads of purchases in a specific category, such as groceries or gas.
- Average earning rate: Apart from the 5% cash back on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel (terms apply), this card offers 1.5% unlimited cash back on every purchase, every day. It’s a decent earning rate, but you can find higher rates on other cards, such as the Citi Double Cash® Card or Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card.
- No transfer partners: Your rewards can’t be transferred to travel partners such as airline and hotel loyalty programs.
- No premium card benefits: This card doesn’t come with premium benefits such as annual credits, elite status, or airport lounge access. For travel cards with elevated perks and benefits, check out our list of the best travel credit cards.
- Credit score requirement: You likely need a good or excellent FICO credit score to qualify for this card, so it might not make sense if you have a bad or fair credit score. Keep in mind that Capital One could also consider other factors of your creditworthiness during the card application process.
Who should get the Capital One Quicksilver Rewards card
The Capital One Quicksilver is a simple cashback card that could provide plenty of value with its earning potential and benefits. But it might not make sense for everyone. Consider these factors if deciding whether the Capital One Quicksilver makes sense for you.
The Capital One Quicksilver Rewards card is a good choice if:
- You want a simple earning structure and rewards program.
- You want a welcome bonus.
- You want intro APR offers.
- You want to pair it with other Capital One credit cards.
Skip the Capital One Quicksilver Rewards card if:
- You want to earn travel rewards.
- You want premium travel benefits.
- You want to earn bonus rewards in specific categories.
- You don’t have a good or excellent credit score.
- You want to transfer rewards to travel partners.
Other cards to consider
If the Capital One Quicksilver doesn’t seem like the right fit for you, it makes sense to consider other options. Check out top credit card offers from our list of the best cashback credit cards.
For specific Quicksilver alternatives, check out these credit cards with competitive offers.
Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card
Welcome offer: Earn a $300 cash bonus after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months
Rewards rate: 10% cash back on purchases made through Uber & Uber Eats (through 11/14/2024); 8% cash back on Capital One Entertainment; 4% cash back on dining, entertainment, and select streaming services; 3% at grocery stores (excluding superstores such as Walmart® and Target®), and 1% cash back on all other purchases
Annual fee: $95
The Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has a $95 annual fee, but its cash back rewards rate and welcome offer could help offset the annual cost and more. Compared with the Quicksilver, this card offers more opportunities for earning higher rates of cash back.
Check out our Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card review for more information.
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Welcome offer: Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
Rewards rate: 5% cash back on rotating quarterly categories you activate (on up to $1,500 spent) and travel purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal; 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants (including takeout and eligible delivery service); and 1% cash back on all other purchases
Annual fee: $0
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ is a popular option for earning valuable Chase Ultimate Rewards points with rotating categories and its welcome bonus. It also has built-in benefits such as purchase protection, extended warranty protection, and cell phone protection.
This card could offer more earning potential than the Quicksilver if your spending habits align with its bonus categories. Read our Chase Freedom Flex review for more card details.
Citi Double Cash® Card
Welcome offer: Earn $200 in cash back after you spend $1,500 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening. This bonus offer will be fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou® points, which can be redeemed for $200 cash back
Rewards rate: 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases; plus, for a limited time, earn 5% total cash back on hotel, car rentals and attractions booked on the Citi Travel℠ portal through 12/31/24
Annual fee: $0
The Citi Double Cash® Card has a $0 annual fee and excellent earning potential. Compared with the Quicksilver, you get another simple earning rates, but with a higher value.
Check out our Citi Double Cash Card review to learn more.
Is Capital One Quicksilver a good card?
The Capital One Quicksilver could be a good card depending on your situation and personal finance goals. It could be good if you want an everyday cashback card with a decent earning rate. But it might not make sense if you want to earn increased rewards in bonus categories or if you want premium travel benefits.
Is Quicksilver a good credit card to build credit?
The Quicksilver is a good credit card to build credit if you qualify and use the card responsibly. But because this card typically requires good or excellent credit for approval, you might consider a card with less strict credit requirements. This could include the Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card or the OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card.
What is the annual fee for the Capital One Quicksilver?
The annual fee for the Capital One Quicksilver is $0.
Is Capital One Quicksilver a good credit card for college students?
The Capital One Quicksilver isn’t typically a good credit card for college students because you often need a good or excellent credit score. The Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card might be a better option because it has less strict credit requirements and offers excellent earning potential on everyday purchases.
Is the Capital One Quicksilver a good credit card? Yes, though it depends on your situation.
It provides a simple earning rate, a $0 annual fee, and intro APR offers. But it might not make sense if you want to earn travel rewards or take advantage of premium travel benefits. You could also likely find better options for earning rewards in specific categories.
For more options, check out our dedicated page of card offers to compare credit cards.
Lucrative, Flat-Rate Cash Rewards
FinanceBuzz writers and editors score cards based on a number of objective features as well as our expert editorial assessment. Our partners do not influence how we rate products.
$200 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 in purchases in the first 3 months
Earn 2% cash rewards on purchases