Taxes can be complicated, especially if you fall behind in paying what you owe and are facing consequences such as seizure of tax refunds, property liens, or wage garnishment.
The good news is, there are solutions available for people interested in managing their obligations to the IRS. Community Tax is one of those solutions. This trusted company helps with many tax issues, from tax planning and preparation to accounting. It also works with clients to help resolve unpaid tax debt with the IRS.
But is working with the company right for you? This Community Tax review can help you decide.
Community Tax has helped resolve $800 million in tax debt.
- Free consultation
- Multiple tax services
- Over 60,000 clients and counting
What is Community Tax?
Community Tax LLC is a full-service tax company based in Chicago, Illinois. It provides services to both individuals and to small businesses and it describes itself as being "client-centered" and "solutions-oriented."
The company was founded in 2010 by attorneys Jacob Dayan, Esq. and Adam Dayan Esq., and Nick Charveron, an enrolled agent with the IRS. Their mission was to provide trusted advice to clients with all tax-related issues using data-driven solutions.
Community Tax has worked with more than 60,000 clients across all 50 states since its founding. The company's team of attorneys, CPAs, and enrolled agents has helped taxpayers resolve more than $800 million in tax debt, and has prepared more than 80,000 tax returns according to their website.
How does Community Tax work?
Community Tax offers four primary tax services for clients:
- Tax resolution
- Tax preparation
- Tax assurance
1. Tax resolution
For those who need tax relief and are hoping to figure out how to pay off debt, the company’s tax resolution services will likely be the most valuable feature it offers. Tax resolution services include:
- Offer in compromise: This involves settling tax debt for less than the full amount you owe. It could be an option if you can prove financial hardship.
- Installment agreements: These agreements allow you to pay your federal or state tax debt over time, based on a payment plan you make with the IRS or state taxing authority.
- Stair-step agreement: This plan allows you to focus your repayment efforts on other large financial obligations, such as car loans, while making only minimum payments to the IRS. Once the other debt has been paid, all the money going toward it is shifted to repaying back taxes.
- Currently non-collectible status: This removes your unpaid tax balance from the IRS active collections program, at least temporarily. It could be an option for those facing financial hardship.
- Penalty abatement: This involves negotiating to remove added penalties for unpaid tax debt. You might be eligible for it if you didn't pay taxes for reasons beyond your control.
Community Tax provides a free consultation and claims there are no hidden fees. You'll pay a fixed cost based on the specifics of your situation. When you are drowning in debt, getting help dealing with unpaid taxes could help you better cope with financial stress. It could be worth exploring your options with Community Tax.
2. Tax preparation
Community Tax's team of trained CPAs, attorneys, and enrolled agents can help you with tax filing and provide guidance on your return. They also combine income tax preparation with other services, offering a one-stop solution for tax issues.
3. Tax assurance
Tax assurance with Community Tax is a monthly service that helps you to avoid issues with the IRS. It costs $39 per month and includes:
- Reminders and alerts when estimated taxes are due
- Direct access to tax practitioners to ask questions about your tax obligations
- A dedicated case advocate
- Free annual personal tax return filing
- Free filing of tax extensions
- Free consultations in case of an audit
- Free identity theft restoration if your tax ID is stolen
- Digital storage for tax records
- Free investigation of garnishments
- A 20% discount on any tax resolution services you need
Community Tax also offers online accounting and bookkeeping services available to small businesses for a monthly fee. There are three tiered packages to choose from:
|Gold Package||Priced upon request||
What we like about Community Tax
- Free consultations and customized solutions: The initial consultation is free and every client gets a personalized plan created for them, so you will know upfront what Community Tax can offer.
- Full-service: Community Tax's different services integrate well together. For example, those with back tax debt could get help dealing with their past issues while accessing tax assurance to ensure they avoid tax problems in the future.
- Discounts for clients who use multiple services: For example, Community Tax provides a 20% discount on tax resolution services for clients who use tax assurance.
What Community Tax could improve
- More mobile support: Although Community Tax has an Android app, it's not ranked very highly with a rating of just 2.6 out of 5 stars. Reviewers describe challenges with document uploading, accessing documents, and slow service.
- More online information on fees and service: To get detailed information about how the company could help with your tax debt or find out how much tax preparation services cost, you need to speak with Community Tax customer service. Having more information online could be helpful.
What Community Tax customers are saying
Community Tax is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and received an A+ rating. Out of 176 customer reviews, it also received an average of 4.32 stars out of five.
Although Community Tax largely gets positive rankings, it has been the subject of 47 complaints with the Better Business Bureau over three years. Customers indicate payments were collected for services not performed, and complain of poor communication.
Positive reviews, however, praise the professional service they received, as well as the willingness on the part of staff members to answer questions knowledgeably.
Community Tax customer service
Community Tax can be reached at 888-904-0393 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also request that the company contact you by completing a simple online form and providing your name, phone number, and email address.
The company also offers an online chat service available through a Virtual Tax Assistant, which could help if you need additional information or to reach a tax professional.
FAQ about Community Tax
Is Community Tax legit?
Community Tax is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has received mostly positive reviews from past customer clients. It has been in business since 2010 and has provided services to more than 60,000 clients across the U.S.
How does Community Tax impact your credit?
Community Tax services do not directly impact your credit. However, being delinquent on tax bills or settling tax debt with the IRS could damage your credit score. This is true regardless of whether you work with Community Tax, settle debt directly with the IRS, or work with another service.
How much does Community Tax cost?
Costs vary depending on which Community Tax services you are using. For example, the company's tax assurance service comes at a $39 monthly fee. For tax resolution services, your cost depends on the assistance provided, and it will be disclosed after an initial free consultation.
Community Tax offers a wide array of services, including tax prep and tax help for those who are behind on taxes. It promises no hidden fees and integrates its services so customers can turn to one company for assistance with many tax issues.
However, there's limited information about costs for certain services online, so be sure to understand costs before you sign up to work with Community Tax.