While there are many types of flowers people can give their beloved for Valentine’s Day, red roses are the ones most closely associated with the holiday. The gifting of a dozen red roses says “be mine.”
As Valentine’s Day approaches, a bouquet of a dozen roses is about to become a hot-ticket item. To help people anticipate the cost, the FinanceBuzz team collected data from florists and flower shops in every state to find out how much people across the country can expect to spend if they plan on sending a dozen red roses to that special someone.
- The average price for a dozen roses in the U.S. is $80.16.
- The state where a dozen roses cost the most is Hawaii at $108.33. That’s 35% more expensive than the national average.
- A dozen roses are most affordable in Pennsylvania, costing $66.15 on average.
How much will a dozen roses cost this year? Average costs by state
States where a dozen roses are the most expensive
Across the country, the average cost of a dozen roses is $80.16. The average cost in 25 states lands within five dollars of that total. Still, there are some states where costs are much higher or lower, with factors such as climate, taxes, shipping costs, and more impacting rose prices.
Hawaii is the state where roses are the most expensive, with a bouquet costing more than $108 on average — 35% more expensive than the national average. That total is also nearly $15 more expensive than any other state.
|State||Cost of a dozen roses|
The rest of the five most-expensive states are out West. Nevada is the state where roses are the second-most expensive, at $93.98 per dozen on average. Montana has the third-most expensive roses at $92 per dozen on average.
Rounding out the top five most-expensive states are Idaho ($91.98) and Washington ($90.00).
States where a dozen roses are the least expensive
Pennsylvanians have it good — PA is the state where roses are the least expensive. A bouquet of a dozen roses costs just $66.15 on average. That is nearly 17.5% less than the national average and $42 less than what it costs to buy the same number of roses in Hawaii.
|State||Cost of a dozen roses|
Massachusetts is the state where roses are the second-most affordable, costing just $66.30. Alaska, Nebraska, and Oklahoma are the only other states where sending your main squeeze a dozen roses will cost less than $70 on average.
Tips for finding savings you’ll love
No matter what a dozen roses cost where you live, it’s possible to find ways to pay for flowers or other gifts for loved ones.
- Budget for holidays and gifts. Creating a budget to manage your money helps you save up to buy gifts for Valentine’s Day or any other special occasion.
- Make some extra cash. Finding a side hustle can help you pay for gift giving. Here are 25 ways to make extra money for special occasions (or anything else).
- Earn rewards with a shopping portal. For holidays like Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day, shopping portals will often offer extra rewards on purchases like flowers. Try Rakuten to earn rewards and cash back for ordering online.
To compile the data shown above, FinanceBuzz researchers recorded the price for a standard order of one dozen red roses from at least three individual florists or flower shops in each state. We averaged these figures to create a value for each state.