If you’ve decided to tackle your own taxes this year and plan to file online, you may be wondering which tax software you should use. There are several online tax preparation services to choose from, so what makes one any better than the other?
Cash App Taxes (formerly Credit Karma Tax) is a free tax preparation provider that never charges its users to file federal or state tax returns. Although it doesn’t accommodate all tax situations, it supports a number of forms and situations you won’t find for free on competing services.
In this Cash App Taxes review, we’ll give you some background on the company itself, tell you everything you need to know about Cash App’s tax services and answer some questions you may have so you can decide if Cash App Taxes could work for you.
Cash App Taxes 100% guarantees the accuracy of its calculations.
- Free from start to finish
- A simple, user-friendly experience
- Maximum refund guarantee
Cash App Taxes overview
Cash App Taxes (formerly Credit Karma Tax) is the online tax preparation arm of Cash App created under the Square, Inc. brand, which is already used by millions of people. Cash App Taxes boasts an always-free approach to preparing federal and state taxes, along with free e-filing, without any income restrictions or upsells.
The San Francisco-based company first unveiled its free personalized tax preparation software in December 2016 as Credit Karma Tax. It was acquired by Cash App at the end of 2020 and rebranded to Cash App Taxes in 2021.
Cash App provides other tools you can use to better understand how to manage your money, in addition to tax preparation and e-filing services. The financial app's main functionalities include sending and receiving money, mobile banking, and investing, which you can learn more about in our Cash App review.1
How much does Cash App Taxes cost: Products and pricing
From start to finish, filing your taxes with Cash App Taxes is always free. There are no hidden fees or income and tax bracket restrictions; however, like most free tax preparation software, the supported forms and situations are limited. In other words, depending on the complexity of your tax situation, you may require particular tax forms that aren’t available on Cash App Taxes.
That being said, where Cash App Taxes differs from other free tax preparation and filing services is in the tax forms it supports. According to the Cash App Taxes website, it supports “all of the common tax forms and schedules.” This includes joint filing and itemized tax deductions, as well as IRS forms an individual must file to report income or loss from a small business.
A competitor such as TurboTax Free Edition, on the other hand, is only available for qualifying taxpayers with a simple tax return who plan to take the standard deduction.2 It doesn’t include itemized deductions and business income.
The following situations are not currently supported by Cash App Taxes:
- Multiple state filings
- Part-year state filing
- Foreign earned income
- State returns for married filing separately in community property states*
- State filing without a federal filing
|Cash App Taxes
|Tax filers who want a free, streamlined filing process
How does Cash App Taxes work? 4 key features
If you have a Cash App account, then Cash App Taxes is available to you. It is a smart and simple tax filing service that provides a tailored experience specific to your unique filing situation. Here are some of the key features available to its users:
1. Streamlined onboarding for an intuitive experience
As you begin your return with Cash App Taxes, you’ll be asked a series of comprehensive questions used to map to applicable tax forms. Each answer is used to develop a personalized dashboard to help you file your taxes efficiently, and you will only fill out the forms required for your particular situation.
2. Free audit protection
You can receive free audit defense which manages your correspondence with the IRS and provides in-person representation in the event you get audited.
3. 24/7 chat support
Taxes can be complicated — something that may prevent many taxpayers from filing independently. Cash App Taxes has 24/7 chat support for its members. So if you have a question at any time during the filing process, experts are just a click away.
4. Mobile filing
Tax filers who used Cash App Taxes last tax season could start their taxes on their mobile device. More than half of all Cash App Taxes filers started their taxes this way. This tax year, users can file their taxes from start to finish directly from their smartphone — no matter how complex their tax situation is.
Cash App Taxes pros and cons
- Free federal and state returns: Cash App Taxes is worthy of consideration if you’re looking for a free, smart tax filing experience. There are no paid upgrades, so you won’t hit any type of paywall just because you had some income from being self-employed or want to itemize your deductions. Cash App Taxes is free from start to finish and supports income tax forms like Schedule A, Schedule C, claiming the child tax credit, and claiming the earned income tax credit (EITC).
- Customized filing: When you file with Cash App Taxes, you'll complete a brief questionnaire when you start the filing process. This eliminates several steps, so you won't have to open or review any information that isn’t relevant to you.
- Accuracy guarantee: Cash App Taxes provides a simple, user-friendly experience that takes the guesswork out of the process. Cash App Taxes 100% guarantees the accuracy of its calculations. So if the IRS or your state tax authority imposes a penalty on you due to a Cash App Taxes calculation, the company will reimburse you up to $1,000 in the form of a gift card.
- Maximum refund guarantee: Cash App Taxes users also benefit from the company’s “Maximum Refund Guarantee.” If you receive a bigger federal tax refund or owe less in federal taxes when you file an amended return through another online tax prep service, Cash App Taxes will cover the difference up to $100.
- Ability to import returns: Finally, if you've used other tax preparation software in previous years, Cash App Taxes makes it easy to transition to their free service instead. They allow the importing the last year's return from H&R Block, TurboTax, and TaxAct.
- Somewhat limited services: As with any free tax-filing service, the functionality of Cash App Taxes does have limitations — even though it supports a great number of forms and tax situations. So depending on your unique situation, Cash App Taxes might not be able to file your taxes for you. For example, if you worked in multiple states or have foreign income, you might not qualify to use their service.
- No option to upgrade for professional help: If you’re looking for personalized tax help on Cash App Taxes, you may also be disappointed. While many competitors offer the option to consult tax experts for a fee, Cash App Taxes does not offer this service.
- Manual entry for trades: If you actively trade cryptocurrency or stocks, Cash App Taxes might not be the best choice. Users must manually enter each trade, which can be a tedious process with high room for errors.
How to contact Cash App Taxes
You can reach Cash App Support in a few ways:
- Phone: You can contact Cash App Taxes by calling +1 (800) 969-1940. Operating hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
- Online chat: You can contact Cash App Taxes via chat 24/7 if you have questions at any point during filing. This chat feature can be located within the “Support” section located at the top of your mobile app or desktop dashboard when logged into Cash App Taxes.
- Mail: You can reach them by mail at Cash App, 1455 Market Street Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94103.
Is it really free to file taxes with Cash App Taxes?
Yes, it is completely free to prepare and e-file your federal return and state tax returns with Cash App Taxes. There are no hidden fees, and free Audit Support is also included in your filing.
Is Cash App Taxes better than TurboTax?
It depends on how you define “better.” TurboTax offers qualifying taxpayers the chance to use its software and file for free, but only for simple tax returns and if you're claiming the standard deduction.
Situations not covered include itemized deductions, business or 1099-MISC income, and credits and deductions. All of these are available with Cash App Taxes, which could make it a better fit for small business owners.
Is Cash App Taxes safe?
Yes, Cash App Taxes is safe to use. Cash App Taxes is a legitimate San Francisco-based personal finance company that provides resources for you to understand your financial situation better.
It is also an authorized IRS e-file provider and complies with the security, privacy, and business standards set by the IRS.
Does Cash App Taxes have a phone number?
Yes. You can reach Cash App Support by calling +1 800-969-1940. Operating hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
There are plenty of free tax preparation providers out there, but that doesn’t mean you’ll get the same experience across the board. Cash App Taxes offers its members a smart, streamlined tax filing experience — for free. You can also file your return without worrying that you’ll need to upgrade to a paid version to finish.
If you don’t mind the extra work, enter your tax information into Cash App Taxes and other comparable versions of the best tax software to see which gives you the highest return.