Grange auto insurance is part of the Grange Insurance company, which offers different insurance products that cater to several needs. From liability coverage to comprehensive coverage, Grange advertises several car insurance options in 13 states across the country. The company also offers several discount types.
Grange Insurance has a good customer service reputation, reflected in its Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings. However, its auto insurance products aren't available in many states, so you may be out of luck if you don't live in an area that Grange serves.
Let's explore how Grange auto policies work and what the company can offer you in this Grange auto insurance review.
Grange Insurance: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: Grange Auto Insurance is a well-established provider of auto insurance with over 85 years of experience, offering a wide range of coverage options and discounts. However, its availability is limited to certain states, and some customers had difficulties getting their auto claims processed.|
What is Grange Insurance?
Grange Insurance traces its roots back to 1935 when the Grange Mutual Casualty Company was first incorporated and located in Columbus, Ohio. The company was originally founded to provide car insurance options to members of the National Grange Patrons of the Husbandry, called grange members for short.
Over 85 years later, Grange Insurance is still located in Columbus, Ohio, but has expanded its operations to 12 other states, primarily within and around the Midwest region. Through a workforce of independent agents, Grange sells different insurance policies to its customers based on their unique needs.
Grange Insurance is a BBB-accredited business with an A+ grade. Its average BBB customer rating is 4.14 out of 5.0, and the company has had 71 complaints closed in the last three years. Grange has around 700,000 customers.
Grange Insurance is not the same insurance provider as Grange Insurance Association. Despite the similar names, the two companies are not affiliated with each other and operate independently.
|Types of coverage||
|Where you can use it||
|Availability||Available in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin|
What insurance does Grange Insurance offer?
Grange started as a car insurance company and still provides auto insurance policies today, but it’s expanded into providing home, business, and life insurance as well. However, auto insurance still remains a primary focus for the company.
Grange offers several types of car insurance related to liability and injuries, including:
- Liability insurance coverage: Helps cover expenses for injuries or property damage if you’re at fault for an accident. A minimum amount of this coverage is required in most states.
- Medical payments and personal injury coverage: Helps cover medical expenses for you and your passengers, no matter who is determined at fault for the accident.
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage: Helps protect you when another driver causes an accident and doesn’t have liability insurance or their insurance isn't sufficient.
Grange also offers the following optional car-related coverage:
- Collision coverage: Assists with covering expenses for repairs or replacement of your car if you collide with a car or another object.
- Comprehensive car insurance: Helps cover the cost of repairs if your car is damaged by something other than a collision, such as vandalism, weather, or an animal.
Full glass coverage: Helps pay for windshield damage, such as cracks.
Loan/lease gap coverage: Helps pay the difference between what you still owe on a vehicle and its actual cash value if your car is declared a total loss after an accident or from being stolen without recovery.
Original equipment manufacturer parts coverage: Helps with the cost of using original manufacturer parts if your car is being repaired.
In addition, Grange offers a variety of optional protections, such as:
- Pet injury and mobile device coverage: Helps cover expenses for pet injuries or mobile device damage if they result from a car accident.
- Roadside assistance coverage: Helps to provide you with certain roadside emergencies, such as towing, flat tires, being locked out of your vehicle, and more.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage: Helps pay for a rental car if your car is being repaired through an eligible car insurance claim.
- Identity theft car insurance: Help keep your identity safe and offer professional services if your identity is stolen, including if personal information is stolen from your vehicle.
- Personal umbrella car insurance: helps provide additional liability coverage if you’re involved in a lawsuit resulting from an accident you caused.
In addition to auto policies, Grange Insurance also offers the following insurance products home, business, and life insurance. Grange operates in the following 13 states:
Grange Insurance: How cheap is it?
The cost of your Grange auto insurance policy will vary depending on a number of factors that affect car insurance rates. These factors include the type of coverage you are looking for, the location of the vehicle being insured, and your personal details.
How to find discounts
You may be able to save money on car insurance from Grange by qualifying for one of the discounts it offers.
Grange Insurance offers several policy-related discounts:
- Multi-policy discount: You may get this discount by acquiring more than one policy with Grange. This is often called “bundling” and may include homeowners insurance, auto, life, and other policies.
- Paid-in-full discount: You can get this discount by paying the entire premium of your policy.
- Advance quote discount: You may qualify for this discount by getting a quote ahead of the effective date of your policy.
- New beginnings discount: You can get this discount when you go through certain life changes, such as getting divorced.
- Legacy loyalty discount: You may get this discount when you move off your parent’s Grange auto policy to get your own.
Grange also offers discounts to students, including:
- Good student discount: You can qualify for this discount by maintaining a B grade or higher as a full-time student.
- Away at school discount: You can gain this discount when you’re a student away at school while your school is back home.
A few more discounts from Grange relate to safety and accidents, including:
- OnTrack Safe Driving app discount: You can get this discount by using the OnTrack app, which collects data while you drive to reward you for safe behavior.
- Safety technology discount: You can have this discount if your vehicle has certain safety equipment installed, such as automatic emergency braking or blind spot warning.
- Accident forgiveness: This isn’t technically a discount, but Grange may not increase your premiums after your first at-fault accident.
How to maximize savings
There are several ways to maximize your savings with Grange Insurance:
- Raise your deductible: By raising your deductible, you can lower your monthly or annual premium. However, keep in mind that you’d be taking on more financial responsibility.
- Maintain a good credit score: Many insurance companies use one form or another of your credit score as a rating factor to decide your premium. Having a good credit score can help lower your premiums.
- Practice safe driving: Many insurance companies, including Grange, may offer a lower premium to drivers who have a clear record over a number of years.
- Remove unneeded coverage: Most states require a certain liability insurance minimum. Review your current coverage and identify any coverage options that you do not need or use. This may be add-on coverage such as roadside assistance or identity theft car insurance, for example.
How to get started with Grange Insurance
Learning how to get car insurance through Grange Insurance should be pretty straightforward, though it may depend on the agency you speak with. Since Grange Insurance works with independent agents to find you a policy to fit your needs, the process can vary depending on which insurance agent you choose.
Before getting started, make sure to have the personal information that’s often required to get a car insurance quote, including:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Address and ZIP code
- Marital status
- Driving history
- Information for additional drivers
- Vehicle information for each vehicle you want on the policy
- Types of coverage you’re looking for
Once you have this information, simply follow these steps to get started:
- Go to visit the Grange Insurance website and select the “Find an agency” option.
- Enter your ZIP code to find a list of agencies in your area. Select “Auto & Home” to filter the results.
- Find an insurance agency you want to contact and use its phone number to start your quote. Some agencies will also have a website and an email.
It’s a good idea to ask about potential discounts during the insurance quote process, in case they aren’t applied automatically. And for a quick comparison, call multiple agencies in your area to see what each one offers.
FAQs about Grange Insurance
Is Grange Insurance a good insurance company?
Grange Insurance is a BBB-accredited company with an A+ grade and a 4.06 out of 5.0 rating as of this article’s publication date. In addition, it has an A- AM Best rating for financial strength, which means the company is rated as having an excellent ability to meet ongoing insurance obligations.
Which states does Grange Insurance offer coverage in?
Grange Insurance offers coverage in these states:
What types of coverage does Grange Insurance offer?
Grange Insurance offers auto insurance, home insurance, business insurance, and life insurance. For auto insurance, Grange offers your typical coverages, including liability, collision, and uninsured/underinsured motorist. Other related add-ons include roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, full glass repair, and more.
How do you contact Grange Insurance?
If you have questions about your Grange auto insurance quote or want to make changes to your policy, contact the agency that set you up with your policy. For Grange customer service, contact 1-800-422-0550.
Grange auto insurance might have the coverage options you need if you live in one of the 13 states it serves. It’s able to offer standard auto policies from different providers in your area, and you have the option to add home, life, or business insurance as well.
But if you live outside Grange’s coverage area or don’t find its services competitive, it makes sense to explore other options. Using resources such as an online marketplace can help you quickly research and compare car insurance quotes in your area so you can find the auto coverage you need.
FinanceBuzz researches a number of factors in each auto insurance provider to create our reviews. These factors include cost and discounts, complaints and customer satisfaction, coverage, and ease of use. We also gather information from sources such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and the Better Business Bureau to ensure we provide the most useful information to our readers.