Kemper is a major provider of auto insurance that operates in most, but not all, U.S. states. It specializes in non-standard coverage, a type of car insurance policy for drivers with certain risk factors, such as previous accidents or traffic violations.
Kemper also offers several other insurance products you can bundle and get discounts on, such as renters and homeowners insurance. However, the company ranks low for customer satisfaction and has a large number of complaints.
It may be worth getting a quote from Kemper if you live in a state where it operates and your quotes with other insurers are expensive due to a previous accident or ticket history.
Kemper auto insurance: Is it worth it?
|Our verdict: Drivers who find it difficult to get auto insurance due to a previous history of accidents or tickets may be able to get the coverage they need from Kemper in the states where coverage is available. However, drivers with strong credit and no past infractions may get better customer service elsewhere.|
What is Kemper?
Kemper Auto Insurance is an insurance agency based out of Chicago, Illinois. It’s part of the Kemper Corporation, which is a family of companies. The company can trace its roots back to 1912 when it was founded by James Kemper. His son, James Kemper, Jr., later held numerous roles at the company, including chairman and chief executive.
Since its founding, Kemper has grown into a vast multi-policy insurance provider that operates nationwide. It services over 6.2 million policies, is represented by more than 34,000 insurance agents and brokers and has over 9,500 employees. With over $14 billion in assets, Kemper is a leading insurer in the U.S.
In addition, Kemper has an A- rating from AM Best. This rating describes the financial strength of a company, with an A- falling into the excellent category. As defined by AM Best, an excellent rating recognizes an insurance company with “an excellent ability to meet their ongoing insurance obligations.” In other words, Kemper is seen as a financially stable company that doesn’t appear to be vulnerable to changes in underwriting or economic conditions.
|Types of coverage||
|Where you can use it||
|Kemper customer support||
What insurance does Kemper Insurance offer?
Kemper provides auto insurance primarily through two segments: Kemper Specialty and Kemper Preferred.
Kemper Specialty provides auto insurance coverage for people with no driving history or with a past record of accidents or driving infractions. It also offers auto coverage for people using international driver's licenses. Kemper Specialty is available in 34 states.
The following coverages are available through Kemper Specialty:
- Liability insurance coverage: This protection helps pay for the damages or injuries sustained by the driver and passenger in an accident. Liability protection is required in most states.
- Collision insurance: This coverage helps pay for your vehicle’s repairs or replacement costs following an accident. Collision insurance is optional unless your car is financed or leased.
- Comprehensive insurance: This insurance helps pay for damage repairs following events other than auto accidents, such as fire or storm damages. Collision and comprehensive insurance are known as full coverage and are optional unless you finance or lease your vehicle.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: This coverage helps pay for your medical bills and property damage if you’re in an accident with a driver that is uninsured or has inadequate coverage. You may be required to have this coverage, depending on your state.
- Roadside assistance: This optional coverage provides 24/7 towing, jumpstart, and fuel-delivery services if your car breaks down.
- SR-22 financial responsibility coverage: This coverage helps prove that you have adequate financial protection when you’re ordered by a court to carry an SR-22 certificate due to a history of accidents or violations.
Kemper Preferred provides auto insurance coverage for drivers with valid U.S. licenses and a relatively clear driving record. It’s available in 45 states and Washington, D.C.
Kemper Preferred offers policyholders the same coverages as Kemper Specialty, including:
- Liability protection
- Collision insurance
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
It also offers additional insurance options, including:
- Kemper Prime Auto Enhanced: This coverage package includes personal property protection, waiver of your first accident or minor violation, and waiver of deductible when your car is damaged while parked. It also gives you diminishing deductible credits for safe driving and key or entry transmitter replacement coverage.
- Kemper Total: This coverage helps pay for a vehicle replacement if your car is totaled in an accident. Kemper Total is exclusive to new vehicles.
- Auto loan/lease coverage: This coverage, also known as GAP insurance, helps pay the difference between your car’s value and the amount owed on your auto loan or lease if your car is totaled.
Additional insurance products
Kemper offers several insurance products other than auto coverage. These insurance products come in three main categories.
Property insurance products:
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Flood insurance
- Mobile home insurance
If you purchase homeowners insurance and auto insurance, you can qualify for a multi-policy discount.
Life insurance products:
- Whole life insurance
- Term life insurance
- Guaranteed issue life insurance
- Accident and health insurance
- Fire and contents protection
Business insurance products:
- Commercial auto insurance
- Commercial general liability protection
- Business owners policy coverage
Kemper auto insurance: How cheap is it?
There are several factors that affect car insurance rates, including your driving record, vehicle type, and desired coverage. Kemper also has two separate segments — Specialty and Preferred — so your auto insurance rates also depend on the segment you use.
How to find discounts
Kemper has several auto insurance discounts that can help you save money on car insurance.
Auto insurance policy discounts:
- Advance quote discount: If you get a quote and finalize your policy in advance of its effective date, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Proof of prior insurance discount: If you previously had coverage from another insurer, you can qualify for a discount if you provide proof of coverage to Kemper.
- Paid-in-full discount: If you pay your premiums in full upfront rather than opting for monthly payments, you can qualify for this discount.
- Anti-theft: If your car has alarm systems or anti-theft devices, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Defensive driving course discount: If you take a qualifying defensive driving course, you could lower your premiums with this discount.
- Good student discount: Full-time students that maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher can qualify for the good student discount.
- Military discount: Active duty military or National Guard service members may save with a military discount from Kemper.
- Multi-car discount: Households that need to insure multiple cars can take advantage of the multi-car discount.
- Multi-policy discount: Besides car insurance, Kemper also sells homeowners, renters, and condo insurance. If you insure your car and home through Kemper, you could save more money.
How to maximize savings
You can increase your savings with Kemper in a number of ways other than discounts:
- Decrease your coverage. You may not need extensive or full coverage when your vehicle is old. Lowering your coverage or removing collision or comprehensive insurance for a vehicle you fully own can lower your premium. Keep in mind that lowering your coverage can increase your costs following an accident.
- Raise your deductible. Increasing your deductibles can lower your auto insurance premium. However, it leaves you with higher financial responsibility following an accident.
- Improve your credit. Insurers look at your credit score while determining your auto coverage rates. Improving your credit history may qualify for a lower premium.
How to get an auto insurance quote from Kemper
If you’re wondering how to get car insurance through Kemper, you likely will need to meet with an agent or call. Although Kemper has a “Get a Quote” button on its website, you may not be able to get a quote online.
We tried multiple ZIP codes in California, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Texas. In each case, the site directed us to call and speak with an agent.
In other cases, it redirected us to Insure.com to get a quote and provided quotes from other insurers.
To get the most accurate quote, you will likely have to call or meet with a local insurance agent in your area. You can use the Find an Agent tool to locate an agent near you.
Kemper auto insurance FAQs
What is the Kemper auto insurance phone number?
The phone number for Kemper personal insurance, which includes auto insurance, is 1-800-216-6347. If you drive with an international driver’s license, don’t have a driving history, or have had a few car accidents in the past, the Kemper specialized auto insurance phone number is 1-877-352-0068.
Does Kemper offer roadside assistance?
Yes, Kemper Auto Insurance offers roadside assistance coverage, though its availability may depend on the type of auto policy you have or want. Be sure to check with Kemper to see whether roadside assistance is a coverage option in your area.
How do I cancel my car insurance with Kemper?
If you want to cancel your car insurance policy with Kemper, call Kemper directly at 1-800-216-6347 or call your local agent who helped you set up the policy. Keep in mind that you should receive a refund for any unused portion of your policy if you paid your premiums in advance.
Does Kemper offer accident forgiveness?
Certain Kemper car insurance policies may offer accident forgiveness, but availability may depend on the state you live in. This type of coverage typically waives the first accident or minor violation. Speak with an authorized Kemper insurance agent to know whether accident forgiveness is available in your state.
Receiving traffic tickets or getting into major accidents can make it difficult to get auto insurance coverage with some car insurance providers.
That’s when Kemper can be an option worth considering, as Kemper Specialty offers coverage for drivers with adverse marks on their records. Remember that you will need to work with an agent to get your coverage because you can’t get a quote or finalize a policy online.
Kemper has many negative customer reviews and complaints and low insurance claims satisfaction, so you may be better off with a different insurer if you have a clean record. Check out our picks for the best car insurance companies.
FinanceBuzz researches a number of factors in each auto insurance provider to create our reviews. These factors include cost and discounts, complaints and customer satisfaction, coverage, and ease of use. We also gather information from sources such as J.D. Power, AM Best, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and the Better Business Bureau to ensure we provide the most useful information to our readers.