The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card is a widely respected credit card for its perks. This business card has a wide array of features, including a healthy welcome offer, travel insurance, and a free checked bag when flying Delta. If you’re in the market for a business credit card that will earn valuable frequent-flyer miles, this card may suit your needs.
In this Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card review, you’ll learn about both the benefits and drawbacks of this card.
Earn Valuable Frequent Flyer Miles
- Earn up to 45,000 bonus miles
- 3X miles on Delta purchases and eligible hotel purchases
- Annual companion certificates
- Free checked bag + priority boarding
- No foreign transaction fees
- Terms apply
- Has annual fee
Who should get this card?
A perfect candidate for the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card is an owner of a small- to medium-sized business looking for a card to earn valuable frequent-flyer miles. While there are a vast amount of business credit cards for travel, this card can both improve your experience flying with Delta Air Lines and boost your SkyMiles.
Some people shy away from airline credit cards if they don’t fly frequently. But this card could make back the money spent on the annual fee fairly quickly, so it could be a good fit even for less-frequent flyers.
|Card Issuer||American Express|
|Welcome Bonus||Earn 45,000 bonus miles (and 5,000 MQMs) after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, plus get a $100 statement credit after the first Delta purchase in the first 3 months|
|Recommended Credit Score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
Top card benefits
- Generous welcome bonus: Earn 45,000 bonus miles (and 5,000 MQMs) after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, plus get a $100 statement credit after the first Delta purchase in the first 3 months.
- Power up your status: You can earn 10,000 MQMs after you spend $25,000 in a calendar year. You can do this up to two times per year, which will move you up the status ranks quickly. In addition, throughout 2021, you can earn an additional 2,500 MQMs after making $25,000 in purchases, up to two times. And that's on top of the 10,000 MQMs that you would have already earned.
- Free checked bags: You’ll get your first checked bag free when flying Delta. This can be a large money saver, even if you only fly a few times a year.
- Companion certificate: Renew your card after one year and you’ll get a companion certificate. This certificate is essentially a “buy one, get one free” for any main cabin domestic flight within the United States. This is a perfect way to save money on flying with a client or significant other. This companion certificate can also be gifted to anyone of your choosing. Be aware the certificate does have terms and conditions to abide by.
- Insurance coverage: The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Credit Card covers you during your travels with baggage insurance, travel accident insurance, a roadside assistance hotline, and car rental loss and damage insurance (secondary coverage). Plus starting Jan. 1, 2020, if your flight is delayed more than 12 hours, you can also be reimbursed for up to $300 in unexpected expenses per trip.
- Early boarding: When flying Delta, you’ll receive Main Cabin 1 priority boarding. For some, this is vital to a better flying experience because it gives you a bit more time to settle into your seat.
- Inflight discounts: You’ll get a 20% inflight savings on eligible purchases, such as food or drinks, when you fly with Delta.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck: You also get a statement credit for your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee, which means you can get through airport lines more quickly.
Earning & redeeming
With the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card, you’ll earn 3X miles per $1 spent on purchases made directly with Delta and on eligible hotel purchases; 1.5X miles per $1 spent on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (capped at 50,000 miles per calendar year); and 1X mile per $1 spent on other eligible purchases.
Be aware that the earnings from this card are actually no different than the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card. While the Platinum Delta Skymiles Business card has a higher annual fee and more benefits to being a cardholder, the spending rewards rates are the same for both credit cards.
Best ways to earn
If you’re looking to earn a significant amount of Delta SkyMiles for your next trip, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Credit Card can be great for your SkyMiles balance. However, if you’d rather have more robust spending categories for earning rewards, you might be better off with a different card in the long run. There are other great credit card options for Delta flyers that could help you continue earning SkyMiles in a way that best matches both your travel and spending habits.
Maximizing your redemptions
As for redeeming Delta SkyMiles, there’s a long-standing debate about the value of one Delta mile. However, the general consensus among points and miles geeks is that you want to achieve at least a redemption value of 1.25 cents per point or mile when using your rewards to get the most out of them.
So, how do you determine the value of your SkyMiles when you’re looking at your redemption options? To determine the value of your miles, you can use this formula: (Cash price of flight with taxes and fees) / (number of miles needed) = value of one mile.
For example, say a round-trip flight from Los Angeles to New York normally costs $500, including taxes and fees. If you can use 40,000 SkyMiles to book it, the miles valuation would be $500 / 40,000 SkyMiles = 1.25 cents per mile — this is a good deal. Therefore, you can see that you should be aiming to spend no more than 40,000 Delta SkyMiles for a good value on this airfare.
However, if that same flight is charging 74,000 Delta Skymiles, that redemption would look like this: $500 / 74,000 = 0.68 cents per mile. This is a bad deal.
To get the most out of your rewards, it’s imperative to not only earn your points and miles effectively but to also spend effectively as well.
What qualifies as a Delta purchase?
Purchases made with Delta include flights booked on Delta.com; Sky Club membership or passes; Delta Vacations packages; seat upgrades; inflight purchases, like food, beverages, and audio headsets; and more.
Can you have two Delta Amex cards?
Yes, you can. And while some of the benefits may overlap (e.g., free checked bags), having multiple Delta Amex cards may help you earn more SkyMiles faster.
Is the Amex Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Credit Card worth it?
The card is very much worth it for two simple factors: the welcome bonus and the companion certificate. Even if you only take three round-trip flights per year, you can almost make back the annual fee with the free checked bags alone.
How much is 1,000 Delta SkyMiles worth?
The value of 1,000 Delta SkyMiles varies on a number of factors. However, you can very simply calculate the value of each mile you’re spending by taking the dollar amount spent and dividing it by the number of miles needed:
(Cash price of flight with taxes and fees) / (number of miles needed) = value of one mile.
You can then multiply the value of one mile by 1,000 to get your worth.
Generally, you want to aim to get more than one cent per mile when redeeming for flights.
Does the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card have a foreign transaction fee?
No, it does not.
Other cards to consider
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card is a great card to get started with. However, it isn’t the best airline credit card to spend a large amount of money on because of the limited spending rewards and annual fee.
An alternate card to consider is the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card. With the Marriott Bonvoy Business, you earn 6X points at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels; 4X points on U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, U.S. purchases on shipping, and wireless telephone services purchased from U.S. providers; and 2X points on all other eligible purchases.
Second, consider the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card. While this card is very similar to the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business, it’s a smaller investment with its annual fee of $99 (waived first year).
Earn Valuable Frequent Flyer Miles
Earn 45,000 bonus miles (and 5,000 MQMs) after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, plus get a $100 statement credit after the first Delta purchase in the first 3 months
See how these cards compare:
Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card
- 75,000 bonus point welcome offer + $150 statement credit
- 6X points at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 4X points at U.S. restaurants and U.S. gas stations
- Free Night Award every year
- Terms apply
Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card
- Earn up to 40,000 bonus miles
- Earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit to use toward future travel after you spend $10,000 in the first calendar year
- 2X miles on eligible purchases with Delta, at restaurants worldwide, and more
- First checked bag free + priority boarding
- No foreign transaction fees
- Terms apply