The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card is a widely respected credit card for its perks. This business card has a wide array of features, including a healthy welcome offer, travel insurance, and a free checked bag when flying Delta. If you’re in the market for a business credit card that will earn valuable frequent-flyer miles, this card may suit your needs.
In this Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card review, you’ll learn about both the benefits and drawbacks of this card.
Earn Valuable Frequent Flyer Miles
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles (plus 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles and a $100 statement credit) after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months
- 3X miles on Delta purchases and eligible hotel purchases
- Annual companion certificates
- Free checked bag + priority boarding
- No foreign transaction fees
- $250 annual fee. Terms apply.
- See rates and fees
- Has annual fee
Who should get the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card?
This card is the small business version of the Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express Card. That means the perfect candidate for the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card is an owner of a small- to medium-sized business looking for a card to earn valuable frequent-flyer miles. While there are a vast amount of business credit cards for travel, this card can both improve your experience flying with Delta Air Lines and boost your SkyMiles.
Some people shy away from airline credit cards if they don’t fly frequently. But the Delta Platinum Business Card could make back the money spent on the annual fee fairly quickly, so it could be a good fit even for less-frequent Delta flyers.
|Card type||Travel / Business|
|Card issuer||American Express|
|Annual fee||$250 (See rates and fees) (Terms apply)|
|Welcome Bonus||Earn 60,000 bonus miles (plus 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles and a $100 statement credit) after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months|
|Rewards rate||3X miles per $1 spent on purchases made directly with Delta and on eligible hotel purchases; 1.5X miles per $1 spent on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (capped at 50,000 miles per calendar year); and 1X mile per $1 spent on other eligible purchases|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign transaction fee||None (See rates and fees)|
Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Amex benefits and perks
- Generous welcome bonus: Earn 60,000 bonus miles (plus 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles and a $100 statement credit) after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months after account opening.
- Get a major status boost: You can earn 10,000 MQMs after you spend $25,000 in a calendar year. You can do this up to two times per year, which will move you up the Delta Medallion status ranks quickly. In addition, throughout 2021, you can earn an additional 2,500 MQMs after making $25,000 in purchases, up to two times. And that's on top of the 10,000 MQMs that you would have already earned. Elite status comes with perks such as Sky Club membership, upgrade certificates, bonus miles, and baggage fees waivers.
- Free checked bags: You’ll get your first checked bag free when flying Delta. This can be a large money saver, even if you only fly a few times a year.
- Companion certificate: Renew your card after your first year and you’ll get a companion certificate. This certificate is essentially a “buy one, get one free” for any main cabin domestic flight within the United States. This is a perfect way to save money on flying with a client or significant other. This companion certificate can also be gifted to anyone of your choosing. Be aware the certificate does have terms and conditions to abide by.
- Insurance coverage: The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Credit Card covers you during your travels with baggage insurance, travel accident insurance, a roadside assistance hotline, and car rental loss and damage insurance (secondary coverage). Plus starting Jan. 1, 2020, if your flight is delayed more than 12 hours, you can also be reimbursed for up to $300 in unexpected expenses per trip.
- Cellphone protection: If you pay your cellphone bill in full with this card, you receive cellphone protection for stolen or damaged cellphones. This includes up to $800 per claim on up to two claims per card account per 12-month period. A $50 deductible per claim may apply.
- Early boarding: When traveling on Delta flights, you’ll receive Main Cabin 1 priority boarding. For some, this is vital to a better flying experience because it gives you a bit more time to settle into your seat.
- Inflight discounts: You’ll get a 20% inflight savings on eligible purchases, such as food or drinks, when you fly with Delta.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck: You also get a statement credit for your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee, which means you can get through airport lines more quickly.
Drawbacks of this card
- Has annual fee: This is a premium travel card and as such it does have a $250 annual fee. But if you travel regularly on Delta, enjoy the perks of this card, and want the accelerated MQM earning, then this card could be worth the fee.
Earning & redeeming Delta SkyMiles
Potential earnings in years one and two
Here's a look how your miles can add up with the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express. To calculate these values, we used a point valuation of 1.2 cents per mile.
Remember, this is an estimation. The actual value will be determined by how much you spend and in which categories you spend.
Year one earnings: $972
Year two earnings: $152
These values are based on the FinanceBuzz Credit Card Rewards Valuation Model which takes a look at points earned via spending, the welcome bonus, and the annual fee.
These numbers do not include bonus miles you would earn for flying on Delta since we cannot assume all flight purchases will be made with Delta. If you fly regularly with Delta, then your earnings will potentially be much higher.
And, of course, if you also take advantage of the companion certificate, TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application fee credit, free checked bags, and inflight discounts, this card could be worth more to you as well.
Best ways to earn
|Purchases made directly with Delta and on eligible hotel purchases||3X|
|Eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (capped at 50,000 miles per calendar year)||1.5X|
|All other eligible purchases||1X|
Be aware that the earnings from this card are actually no different than the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card. While the Platinum Delta Skymiles Business card has a higher annual fee and more benefits to being a cardholder, the spending rewards rates are the same for both credit cards.
If you’re looking to earn a significant amount of Delta SkyMiles for your next trip, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Credit Card can be great for your SkyMiles balance. However, if you’d rather have more robust spending categories for earning rewards, you might be better off with a different card in the long run. There are other great Delta credit cards that could help you continue earning SkyMiles in a way that best matches both your travel and spending habits.
Maximizing your redemptions
As for redeeming Delta SkyMiles, there’s a long-standing debate about the value of one Delta mile. However, the general consensus among points and miles geeks is that you want to achieve at least a redemption value of 1.25 cents per point or mile when using your rewards to get the most out of them.
So, how do you determine the value of your SkyMiles when you’re looking at your redemption options? To determine the value of your miles, you can use this formula: (Cash price of flight with taxes and fees) / (number of miles needed) = value of one mile.
For example, say a round-trip flight from Los Angeles to New York normally costs $500, including taxes and fees. If you can use 40,000 SkyMiles to book it, the miles valuation would be $500 / 40,000 SkyMiles = 1.25 cents per mile — this is a good deal. Therefore, you can see that you should be aiming to spend no more than 40,000 Delta SkyMiles for a good value on this airfare.
However, if that same flight is charging 74,000 Delta Skymiles, that redemption would look like this: $500 / 74,000 = 0.68 cents per mile. This is a bad deal.
To get the most out of your rewards, it’s imperative to not only earn your points and miles effectively but to also spend effectively as well.
Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card transfer partners
You don't have to limit yourself to Delta flights to get the most from this card's rewards. Delta is a member of the SkyTeam Alliance, which has over 20 airline partners. You can choose to use your miles to book award flights with the following partners:
- Aerolíneas Argentinas
- Air France
- Air Europa Alitalia
- China Airlines
- China Eastern
- China Southern
- Czech Airlines
- Garuda Indonesia
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Kenya Airways
- Korean Air
- Saudia Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin Australia
- Xiamen Airlines
Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Amex FAQs
What qualifies as a Delta purchase?
Purchases made with Delta include flights booked on Delta.com; Sky Club membership or passes; Delta Vacations packages; seat upgrades; inflight purchases, like food, beverages, and audio headsets; and more.
Can you have two Delta Amex cards?
Yes, you can. And while some of the benefits may overlap (e.g., free checked bags), having multiple Delta Amex cards may help you earn more SkyMiles faster.
Is the Amex Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Credit Card worth it?
The card is very much worth it for two simple factors: the welcome bonus and the companion certificate. Even if you only take three round-trip flights per year, you can almost make back the annual fee with the free checked bags alone.
How much is 1,000 Delta SkyMiles worth?
The value of 1,000 Delta SkyMiles varies on a number of factors. However, you can very simply calculate the value of each mile you’re spending by taking the dollar amount spent and dividing it by the number of miles needed:
(Cash price of flight with taxes and fees) / (number of miles needed) = value of one mile.
You can then multiply the value of one mile by 1,000 to get your worth.
Generally, you want to aim to get more than one cent per mile when redeeming for flights. Miles can also be worth more if you use them to upgrade to a first-class or business seat on a transatlantic flight. How you redeem makes a big difference in the value of Delta SkyMiles.
Does the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card have a foreign transaction fee?
No, it does not. And neither do any of the cards on our list of the best airline credit cards.
Other cards to consider
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card is a great card for business owners to get started with. However, it isn't the only small business credit card that earns travel rewards and it isn't the only credit card offer from Delta.
If you fly a lot, an alternate card to consider is the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card. This card comes has a $550 (See rates and fees) annual fee, but the generous welcome offer can help offset the cost. Earn 60,000 miles (plus 10,000 MQMs and a $100 statement credit) after you spend $4,000 in the first three months. You'll also enjoy premium perks like airport lounge access, priority boarding, a companion certificate, and more. Note that select benefits require enrollment.
If the Platinum card feels like too much to you, then consider the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card. While this card is very similar, it’s a smaller investment, with a $99 (waived first year) (See rates and fees) annual fee, but it still comes with some perks. Plus it offers a welcome bonus of 50,000 bonus miles (and a $50 statement credit) after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months.
Earn Valuable Frequent Flyer Miles
Earn 60,000 bonus miles (plus 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles and a $100 statement credit) after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
See how these cards compare:
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs after you spend $4,000 in the first three months
- 3X miles on eligible Delta purchases
- Complimentary Delta Sky Club and Centurion Lounge access
- $550 annual fee. Terms apply.
- See rates and fees
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and $50 statement credit after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months
- 2X miles on eligible purchases with Delta, at restaurants worldwide, and more
- First checked bag free + priority boarding
- No foreign transaction fees
- $99 annual fee. Terms apply.
- See rates and fees