The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card is the entry-level Delta business card offering from Amex. Unfortunately, that means a somewhat disappointing welcome bonus for new cardmembers when compared to the more premium Delta credit cards.
Let’s dig into the details to see if the perks outweigh the cons — or if you should focus your rewards travel elsewhere.
Double miles on Delta purchases
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and $50 statement credit after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months
- 2X miles on eligible purchases with Delta, at restaurants worldwide, and more
- First checked bag free + priority boarding
- No foreign transaction fees
- $99 annual fee. Terms apply.
- See rates and fees
- Best suited for frequent Delta travelers
- Has annual fee after first year
- Who should get Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card?
- Card basics
- Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card benefits and perks
- Drawbacks to the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card
- Earning & redeeming Delta SkyMiles
- FAQs about the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card
- Other cards to consider
Who should get Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card?
Small business owners who are frequent flyers on Delta could find value in the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card. Travel perks include priority boarding, free checked bags, inflight savings, and travel insurance options when using this card.
Delta purchases earn bonus miles with this card, too. Card members earn 2X miles per $1 spent on purchases at Delta, restaurants, eligible U.S. shipping, and eligible advertising in select media; 1X miles per $1 on all other eligible purchases.
You get all of that for an annual fee of $99 (waived first year) (See rates and fees). But if you aren’t able to frequently take advantage of the card’s Delta perks, such as waived baggage fees on your first checked bag, it’s hard to justify paying the annual fee and this may not be the best airline credit card for you. If your main goal is to earn and redeem Delta SkyMiles, there are other Delta credit cards that have a higher earning potential.
|Credit card issuer||American Express|
|Annual fee||$99 (waived first year) Terms apply.|
|Intro bonus||Earn 50,000 bonus miles (plus a $50 statement credit) after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months|
|Reward rate||2X miles per $1 spent on purchases at Delta, restaurants, eligible U.S. shipping, and eligible advertising in select media; 1X miles per $1 on all other eligible purchases|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign transaction fee||None (See rates and fees)|
Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card benefits and perks
- Decent welcome offer: With this card, you can earn 50,000 bonus miles (plus a $50 statement credit) after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
- Free checked bags: The Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card gets you your first checked bag free of charge. This can add up to a $60 savings for round-trip flights. Keep in mind that you also must have your SkyMiles number attached to your reservation to take advantage of this benefit.
- Priority boarding: Enjoy early Main Cabin 1 priority boarding privileges on Delta. You’ll get first dibs on the best spot for your carry-on bag and relax in your seat before other passengers. It’s such a nice feeling to avoid the line at the gate before your flight.
- Inflight savings: Cardholders receive 20% off Delta inflight purchases, including food, drinks, and audio headsets. This comes in the form of statement credits, which will appear on your statement eight to 12 weeks after the transaction is posted.
- Flight credit: Once you have put $10,000 of purchases on your card within one calendar year, you earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit. You can use this credit toward future travel with Delta.
- Travel and rental car insurance: You’re covered when you travel and use this card. This includes up to $100,000 in travel accident coverage, plus baggage insurance worth up to $1,250 for carry-ons and up to $500 for checked bags if your luggage is lost or stolen. Cardmembers also get secondary coverage if their rental car is damaged or stolen. Purchases must be made with your Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card to be eligible.
Drawbacks to the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card
- Has annual fee: This card has an annual fee of $99 (waived first year).
- Limited reward redemptions: With other travel rewards cards, you might have the option to redeem your rewards in the form of a statement credit or transfer them to a car rental or hotel partner. With the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card, your reward redemption options are somewhat limited. You can redeem your rewards for Delta airfare, Delta gift cards, or Skymiles Experiences, or transfer them to an airline partner.
Earning & redeeming Delta SkyMiles
Potential earnings in years one and two
Here's a look at how your miles can add up with the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Credit Card. To calculate these values, we used a valuation of $0.012.
Remember, this is an estimation. The actual value will be determined by how much you spend and in which categories you spend.
Year one earnings: $1,045.20
Year two earnings: $346.20
These values are based on the FinanceBuzz Credit Card Rewards Valuation Model which takes a look at points earned via spending, the welcome bonus, and the annual fee.
Note that the values above don't account for the increased earnings you'd get for Delta-specific travel spending or the added value you might get from statement credits. If you only factor statement credits in, the value you get from this card could potentially increase by $150 in the first year and $100 in the second year. Frequent Delta flyers will most likely see higher earnings with this card as well.
Best ways to earn
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card offers a straightforward rewards program. It’s easy to understand, since there are only two spending categories: Delta and non-Delta purchases. But unless you’re a frequent Delta traveler, your earning potential is limited with this business card.
|Purchases at Delta, restaurants, eligible U.S. shipping, and eligible advertising in select media||2X|
|All other eligible purchases||1X|
The most lucrative way to earn miles is through purchases made directly with Delta. This includes flight purchases, as well as seat upgrades, pre-purchased meals, inflight purchases, Delta Sky Club memberships or passes, and Delta Vacation packages.
Beyond Delta purchases, the card earns just one mile per dollar spent elsewhere. If your goal is to earn enough Delta miles to fund travel, you may need to charge quite a lot to this card to earn enough miles.
Maximizing your redemptions
The Delta SkyMiles program offers a couple of redemption options for card members. The smart choice is to spend your SkyMiles on travel with Delta and its airline partners.
There’s also a SkyMiles Marketplace where you can redeem miles for other things, such as gift cards, merchandise, and booking other travel options. The redemption value for these is often lower than using your miles toward Delta flights. If you’re interested in using rewards for shopping, this card probably won’t be of much value to you.
Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express transfer partners
If you're interested in transferring your Delta miles to an airline partner, you're in luck. Delta has over 20 airline partners, including Air France, Hawaiian Airlines, Korean Air, and Virgin Atlantic. Its full list of SkyTeam partners includes:
- Aerolíneas Argentinas
- Air Europa
- Air France
- China Airlines
- China Eastern
- China Southern
- Czech Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
- Garuda Indonesia
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Kenya Airways
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Korean Air
- Mandarin Airlines
- Middle East Airlines
FAQs about the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card
How much are Delta SkyMiles worth?
There isn’t a set standard value for SkyMiles; the value varies depending on the specific redemption you pursue. One way to calculate the value is to take the cash price of flight (including taxes and fees) and divide it by the number of miles needed. This gives you the value of one point for your flight. Aim to get more than one cent per mile with redemptions.
Can you have two Delta Amex cards?
Yes, you can. Having more than one Delta Amex card can speed up your SkyMiles earning, but make sure any potential rewards outweigh the cost of the annual fees.
Instead of getting multiple co-branded Delta Amex cards, you may want to opt for a card that earns American Express Membership Rewards as an alternative. American Express® Business Gold Card could be worth considering. Or if you want more luxury travel perks, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express could be an option. This card comes with perks like statement credits for TSA PreCheck and lounge access. Enrollment is required for select benefits.
How many miles do you need for a free flight on Delta?
The number of miles needed for a free flight depends on many factors, such as arrival and destination locations, if it’s a one-way or round-trip ticket, and the time and day of the week.
Do Delta miles expire?
You can take your time building up your SkyMiles for your next big adventure knowing that they will never expire.
Other cards to consider
Delta lovers who are looking for a new card may want to opt for the most elite Delta Amex business card: the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card.
It offers all of the same travel perks (and more), but it has a larger welcome bonus: Earn 60,000 bonus miles (plus 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles and a $100 statement credit) after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. The annual fee for this card is higher, however, at $250 (See rates and fees).
Another solid choice for earning travel rewards is the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It has an annual fee of $95, but this credit card offers the chance to earn 100,000 points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Your points are worth 25% more when you redeem them for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
Double miles on Delta purchases
Earn 50,000 bonus miles (plus a $50 statement credit) after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
See how these cards compare:
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles (plus 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles and a $100 statement credit) after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months
- 3X miles on Delta purchases and eligible hotel purchases
- Annual companion certificates
- Free checked bag + priority boarding
- No foreign transaction fees
- $250 annual fee. Terms apply.
- See rates and fees
Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Best offer ever! 100,000 point sign-up bonus
- 2X points on eligible dining and travel purchases
- 25% more value when redeeming rewards for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Premium travel protection benefits