The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is a premium travel credit card from Capital One. It has a $395 annual fee, but major benefits such as a $300 annual travel credit and 10,000 anniversary miles (worth $100 toward travel) could help you easily offset the annual cost each year.
Other valuable Capital One Venture X benefits include airport lounge access, Hertz President’s Circle elite status, travel insurance, and much more. Check out the complete list of Capital One Venture X benefits to better understand the value this card offers.
15 valuable Capital One Venture X benefits
1. Early spend bonus
The Capital One Venture X offers 75,000 miles after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months. That's equal to $750 toward travel.
2. Annual travel credit
Receive a $300 annual travel credit that can be used for bookings through the Capital One Travel portal. Capital One Travel is Capital One’s online platform for booking flights, hotel stays, and rental cars.
3. Anniversary bonus
Receive 10,000 bonus miles after each cardmember anniversary. That’s equal to $100 toward travel. Combine this automatic bonus with the $300 annual travel credit benefit, and you’ve effectively offset the $395 annual fee each year.
4. Rewards rate
The Capital One Venture X offers 2 miles per dollar on every purchase, every day; 10 miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel, and 5 miles per dollar on flights booked through Capital One Travel.
5. TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit
Receive up to $100 in TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application fee credit once every four years.
The Capital One Venture X Global Entry benefit is better than the TSA PreCheck benefit for some people because Global Entry memberships include TSA PreCheck. Though, you might not need Global Entry if you don’t plan on traveling internationally.
6. Airport lounge access
The Capital One Venture X provides these airport lounge travel benefits:
- Priority Pass: Receive unlimited access to the Priority Pass lounge network, including over 1,300 airport lounges.
- Capital One Lounge: Receive access to the Capital One Lounge network. This network is still growing but currently includes lounges at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Denver Airport (DIA), and Dulles International Airport (IAD) in the Washington, D.C., area.
- Plaza Premium: Receive access to Plaza Premium lounges worldwide.
7. Hertz President's Circle elite status
Capital One Venture X Hertz benefits include receiving President’s Circle elite status, which offers these perks:9
- Free additional driver for a spouse or civil partner in participating locations
- Guaranteed car upgrades
- 50% bonus points
- Special discounts and offers
- Widest selection of Ultimate Choice vehicles
- Skip the counter
8. Redemption options
Capital One Venture X redemption options include:
- Past travel purchases: Redeem miles toward past travel purchases such as flights, hotel stays, and more.
- Capital One Travel: Use your miles to make travel bookings through Capital One Travel.
- Transfer partners: Transfer miles to over a dozen loyalty programs of major airlines and hotels. This includes travel partners such as British Airways Executive Club, Emirates Skywards, and Virgin Red.
- Cash back: Redeem miles for a check or statement credit.
- Gift cards: Redeem miles for gift cards.
Redemption rates are typically one cent per mile (i.e., 10,000 Venture miles equals $100) for travel-related redemptions. Your redemption rate can vary with transfer partners, cash back, and gift cards.
9. Capital One Travel
Receive access to Capital One Travel, the online travel platform from Capital One. Capital One Travel allows eligible cardholders to book travel like flights, hotel stays, and rental cars with their applicable Capital One credit cards or rewards.
Capital One Travel offers benefits such as competitive pricing, free price drop protection, and price matching.
You also receive access to booking Premier Collection hotels through Capital One Travel. The Premier Collection is a luxury hotel program that's only available to Capital One Venture X cardholders. The benefits of booking a hotel through the Premier Collection include daily breakfast for two, a $100 experience credit, and complimentary Wi-Fi. You can also receive additional benefits depending on availability, including room upgrades, early check-in, and late checkout.
10. Capital One Entertainment
Receive access to the Capital One Entertainment booking platform. Capital One Entertainment is available to eligible Capital One cardmembers and offers these benefits:
- Exclusive online booking access to events and experiences which could include concerts, sports events, dining events, and more
- Exclusive access to pre-sale events
- Option to use eligible cashback or travel rewards to book tickets
11. Capital One Dining
Reserve tables at top restaurants and exclusive dining events through Capital One Dining. This booking platform is only available to eligible Capital One cardholders.
12. Travel protections and services
Capital One Venture X travel insurance benefits and services include:5
- Visa Infinite concierge: 24/7 access to a concierge service for help with any of your travel needs, including making dinner reservations or finding a gift for a loved one.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Primary rental car insurance against damage or theft of an eligible rental vehicle.
- Travel and emergency assistance services: Access to emergency services that can help coordinate help you need while traveling. This includes referring you to specific medical, legal, or translation services (that you cover at your own cost).
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance: Travel insurance for covered trip cancellations or interruptions.
- Trip delay reimbursement: Reimburses a maximum of $500 per covered ticket if a trip is delayed more than six hours or requires an overnight stay.
- Travel accident insurance: Up to $1 million in travel accident insurance for covered reasons.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: Up to $3,000 for lost or stolen luggage.
13. Shopping protections and services
Capital One Venture X shopping protections and services include:
- Cell phone protection: Up to $800 per claim (minus a $50 deductible) for damage or theft of covered phones.
- Purchase protection: Up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder for damage or theft of eligible new purchases.
- Extended warranty protection: Extend the manufacturer’s warranty by up to one additional year on eligible new purchases.
- Return protection: Up to $300 per eligible return and $1,000 per year for eligible new purchases that retailers won’t accept as returns.
14. Free authorized users
Add up to four authorized users for free to your Capital One Venture X card account. These authorized users receive many of your major card benefits, including:
- Airport lounge access
- Hertz President’s Circle elite status
- Purchase and travel protections
Authorized users don’t receive their own $300 travel credit, 10,000 anniversary Capital One miles, or up to $100 of TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit.
15. No foreign transaction fees
Avoid all foreign transaction fees with your Capital One Venture X. This is especially handy if you frequently travel to other countries and make purchases with your credit card.
How does Capital One Venture X compare to other credit cards?
The Capital One Venture X isn’t the only premium travel credit card around. Use this table to see how the Venture X compares to the high-value, premium travel rewards cards from Chase and American Express.
|Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card||Chase Sapphire Reserve®||The Platinum Card® from American Express|
|Annual fee||$395||$550||$695 (Terms apply)|
|Welcome offer||Earn 75,000 miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening||Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening||Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $8,000 on purchases on your new card in the first 6 months|
|Rewards rate||2 miles per dollar on every purchase, every day; 10 miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel, and 5 miles per dollar on flights booked through Capital One Travel||5X points on flights and 10X points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually; 3X points on other travel and dining & 1X points per dollar on all other purchases||5X points per dollar spent on eligible airfare (on up to $500,000 per calendar year, after that 1X) and eligible hotel purchases, and 1X points per dollar on all other eligible purchases|
|Credits and bonuses||
All three of these cards offer valuable rewards and benefits for travelers. But the Venture X has the lowest annual fee at $395, and its benefits stay competitive.
In fact, the Venture X offers cell phone protection, which isn’t offered by the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, and primary rental car insurance, which isn’t offered by the Amex Platinum. Of course, the Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum beat the Venture X with other benefits, but the Capital One Venture X is definitely competitive with these well-established premium travel cards.
If access to premium luxury travel benefits appeals to you, check out our list of the best travel credit cards.
How hard is it to get the Capital One Venture X card?
It’s fairly hard to get the Capital One Venture X card since it typically requires an excellent credit score. That would be at least an 800 credit score according to the FICO scoring model. Though your credit score is only one factor that credit card issuers take into account, and having a certain credit score doesn’t guarantee approval.
Does Capital One Venture X have purchase protection?
Yes, the Capital One Venture X has purchase protection as part of its Visa Infinite benefits. Its purchase protection perk provides coverage of up to $10,000 per claim and up to $50,000 per account against damage or theft of eligible purchases.
Who is Venture X for?
The Capital One Venture X is for people who want a premium travel credit card that offers elevated benefits such as:
- Airport lounge access with Priority Pass, Capital One Lounge, and Plaza Premium
- $300 annual travel credit through Capital One Travel
- 10,000 account anniversary miles
- Complimentary Hertz President’s Circle status
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application credit
The Capital One Venture X is an amazing credit card for travelers. You can immediately offset the $395 annual fee with benefits such as the $300 annual travel credit and 10,000 anniversary miles. Add on other benefits — including airport lounge access, free authorized users, and cell phone protection — and you could get some serious value from the Venture X.
The Capital One Venture X is also a decent option for earning rewards on your everyday purchases because of its 2 miles per dollar earning rate. But it could make sense to supplement your earning with other rewards credit cards that offer higher rewards rates. Use our dedicated page to compare credit cards and find the right credit card offer for you.
Easy-to-Earn Unlimited Rewards
- Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Earn 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases
- Longer intro APR on qualifying purchases and balance transfers
- No foreign transaction fees
- Apply Now
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire.
- 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases.
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want - you're not limited to specific websites with blackout dates or restrictions.
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for travel or dining purchases, such as flights, hotel stays, car and vacation rentals, baggage fees, and also at restaurants including takeout.
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, 18.24% - 28.24% Variable APR will apply. A 3% fee applies to all balance transfers.
- If you're a Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase. That means instead of earning an unlimited 1.5 points for every $1, you could earn 1.87-2.62 points for every $1 you spend on purchases.
- Contactless Cards - The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap.
- This online only offer may not be available if you leave this page or if you visit a Bank of America financial center. You can take advantage of this offer when you apply now.
Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
Why we like it