If you have a great experience, you want to share it with the world. With Chase’s Refer-A-Friend program, you can share your favorite credit card recommendations — and get rewarded for it. Find out how you can earn decent cashback rewards, just by referring friends.
What is the Chase Refer-A-Friend program?
Using Chase’s site, you can create referral bonus links and then send those links to friends via email, text, social media, and more. Once a friend applies for a Chase credit card and is approved, you’ll receive a bonus. Depending on the card, you’ll get cash back or points that can be redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
|Eligible Chase cards*||Reward per friend||Max rewards per year|
|Freedom Unlimited||$100 cash back||$500 cash back|
|Freedom||$50 cash back||$500 cash back|
|Sapphire Preferred||15,000 bonus points||75,000 bonus points|
|Ink Business Preferred||20,000 bonus points||100,000 bonus points|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority||10,000 bonus points||50,000 bonus points|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus||10,000 bonus points||50,000 bonus points|
|Southwest Rapid Reward Premier||10,000 bonus points||50,000 bonus points|
|United Explorer||10,000 bonus miles||50,000 bonus miles|
|Marriott Bonvoy Boundless||20,000 bonus points||100,000 bonus points|
|World of Hyatt||5,000 bonus points||25,000 bonus points|
|IHG Rewards Club Premier||10,000 bonus points||50,000 bonus points|
|Disney Visa||100 Disney Rewards Dollars||500 Disney Rewards Dollars|
*As of June 2019
9 things to know about the Chase Refer-A-Friend program
Word of mouth is how many people find out about great products, and financial accounts and credit cards are no different. With Chase’s Refer-A-Friend program, you can earn rewards just for sharing your recommendations. Here are nine key things you should know about the Refer-A-Friend program before sending out a referral link.
1. You can invite your friends in lots of different ways
There are plenty of ways you can refer your friends:
- Email: Visit Chase.com/ReferAFriend and enter your account information. Click on “or Email Friends” and then enter your friend’s first name and email address. Once you enter the required information, click on “Submit.” Chase will send your friend an email within seven business days.
- Social media or text: If you want to reach more people — including folks you don’t have an email address for — you can post your referral link on sites like Facebook and Twitter. To do so, click on the “Copy” button and then share the link in your posts or status updates. You can also copy and paste the referral link into text messages to your friends.
- App: On the go? You can refer friends right from your phone. Open the Chase app and click on your credit card. Scroll down and tap “Refer Friends” on the screen. Then you can select how to send the referral link.
2. You can invite unlimited friends
You can technically invite as many people as you want using your referral link, just be mindful of not spamming your whole contact list.
There is, however, a limit on how many email invitations you can send through Chase’s system. A maximum of 25 email invitations can be sent within a 24-hour period, so you may have to spread out your emails.
3. Your friend must be approved for the card
To qualify for the referral bonus, your friend must submit an application and get approved for the card. If they apply and are rejected, you won’t be eligible for the bonus.
4. Your rewards aren’t immediate
Even if your friend applies for a card and is approved right away, you may have to wait a while to receive your bonus. According to Chase, it can take up to eight weeks after each new cardmember’s approval for the bonus to be posted to your account. Once it’s ready, the bonus will appear on your statement as a “Refer-A-Friend” bonus.
5. You won’t get updates about who used your link to apply
While you may want to track who actually uses your link to apply for a card, you won’t be able to do so. Due to confidentiality reasons, Chase can’t tell you who has applied for a card, nor can they tell you if your friends were approved or denied.
6. Your account must be in good standing
To qualify for the Refer-A-Friend bonus, your account must be in good standing. Chase may stop you from earning points or bonuses in the following situations:
- Your account entered into default, meaning you’re behind on your payments
- You close your account
7. You could receive tax forms
The Refer-A-Friend bonus might be taxable as income. If you have friends who apply and are approved, you may get either a 1099-MISC or a 1042-S form from Chase for the year you participated in the program. That information must be reported on your taxes.
8. Your friends get can get a sign-up bonus, too
If your friends sign up for the card through your referral link and are approved, they’re still eligible for the card’s sign-up bonus. The bonus can be significant — for example, check out the following bonus offers for new cardholders:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: Earn a $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months
- Chase Freedom: Earn a $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months
- Chase Sapphire Preferred: Earn 60,000 points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Ink Business Preferred: Earn 100,000 points after spending $15,000 in the first 3 months
9. You only get credit if friends are approved for a specific card
To get the bonus, your friends must sign up for the specific card you linked to in your referral link. If they sign up for another card — even if it’s part of the Refer-A-Friend program — you’re ineligible for the bonus.
For example, if you refer them to the Chase Freedom but they decide to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred instead, you’re not going to earn a bonus.
Using the Refer-A-Friend program
Chase’s Refer-A-Friend program is an easy way to earn more cash back or rewards, without having to spend a dime. By understanding how the program works, you can help spread the word and gain valuable rewards.
Want to get the most value from your points? Find out how to get awesome travel rewards with your Chase Ultimate Rewards points.