As the calendar flips to a new year, the wanderlust begins anew, and Expedia has just unveiled its Unpack '24 report, shedding light on the most anticipated travel trends for 2024. Drawing insights from extensive first-party travel data across Expedia, Hotels.com, and Vrbo, the report anticipates the pulse of the travel landscape, giving eager globetrotters a sneak peek into the upcoming adventures that will define the year ahead. Here are the ten destinations that are expected to be the most frequented in 2024.
If you’re over 50, take advantage of massive travel discounts and trip-planning resources
Over 50 and love traveling? Join AARP today — because if you’re not a member, you could be missing out on huge travel perks. When you start your membership today, you can get discounts on hotels and resorts, airfare, cruises, car rentals, and more.
How to become a member today:
- Go here, select your free gift, and click “Join Today”
- Create your account (important!) by answering a few simple questions
- Start enjoying your discounts and perks!
An AARP membership not only unlocks discounts that could save you hundreds on your next trip, but you’ll also have access to deals on vacation packages, guided tours, and exclusive content to help plan your next getaway.
Important: Start your membership by creating an account here and filling in all of the information (do not skip this step!). Doing so will allow you to take up to 25% off your AARP membership, making it just $12 per year with auto-renewal.
The top 10 expected travel destinations of 2024
In the realm of travel inspiration, the influence of TV shows and movies has reached unprecedented heights. The phenomenon of set-jetting, where travelers plan their trips based on the locations depicted in their favorite on-screen narratives, has become a powerful motivator. People aren't looking to save money on traveling as much as they are trying to travel to memorable locations.
Expedia's data highlights that more than half of travelers have researched or booked a trip inspired by a destination seen on TV or in a movie. TV shows carry more sway over travel decisions than popular platforms like Instagram, TikTok, and podcasts combined as streaming has helped many of these shows become more popular than their big-screen counterparts in recent years.
For 2024, set-jetting is poised to play a pivotal role, with specific destinations stealing the spotlight. Here are the top set-jetting destinations for 2024:
- Thailand: This destination is going to be heavily featured in The White Lotus, season 3.
- Romania: One of the main filming locations for Wednesday, season 2.
- Malta: The picturesque backdrop for Gladiator 2 that people have been waiting on for years.
- Paris: This city will ride the wave of popularity from Emily in Paris, season 4, combined with hosting the Summer Olympics in 2024.
- Scottish Highlands: These highlands will continue to be immortalized in Outlander, season 8.
- London, Bath, and Windsor, UK: A blend of historical charm depicted in various series and movies alike, including the Bridgerton shows with season 3 of the main series coming in 2024.
- South Korea: Following the success of Squid Game, there is a season 2 on the way as well as a reality show that is out now.
- Florida Keys: The keys are showcased in the upcoming series Bad Monkey.
- Australia: Various locations in the country are featured in Baz Luhrmann’s Faraway Downs series and the film Furiosa.
- Greece: Alwyas a popular travel destination during the summer, the locations are also seen in the films Argylle and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3.
Each destination has a unique allure, fueled by its on-screen representation, creating a magnetic draw for travelers seeking to step into the cinematic realms they adore. While the locations are majestic, they aren't all cheap to get to. You might need to find a way to keep more money in your bank account to save up for some of these locations.
2024 Should bring an increased amount of travel
In the quest for novel reasons to travel, traditional celebrations take a back seat as "puppy moons" and "first-date anniversaries" come to the forefront. Vrbo's research indicates that a third of respondents plan to embark on more trips in 2024, and a diverse array of motivations fuels these journeys.
Beyond the typical girls' weekends and college reunions, work-related occasions emerge as unexpected trip catalysts. Retirements, new job acquisitions, and promotions are celebrated with weekend getaways, adding a new dimension to travel festivities.
Is AI going to drive your future travel destinations?
In 2023, generative AI took its initial steps into the mainstream. Chatbots and image generators captured users’ fascination, showcasing the capabilities of this burgeoning technology. Now, in 2024, Expedia Group predicts the rise of a new generation of travelers — Generation of Generative AI travelers, or the Gen Gen AI. This generation will fully embrace generative AI throughout their travel journey, leveraging technology to enhance their experiences.
Expedia Group has been at the forefront of adopting AI innovations, incorporating the popular ChatGPT conversational AI functionality into the Expedia app. The data from a global survey conducted by Expedia Group reveals that half of travelers are curious to explore the potential of AI in planning their trips.
The use of AI doesn't stop at getting help in finding a destination, though. Nearly 40% express a willingness to use AI to find accommodations, while a third would rely on it for comparing flight options or seeking travel inspiration. Additionally, 35% of respondents are open to using AI to discover activities and things to do during their travels.
As technology continues to weave its influence into the fabric of travel, the Gen Gen AI generation is poised to redefine how we plan, experience, and reminisce about our journeys. More and more people in the future are likely to follow the crowd, as told to them by AI tools, instead of planning out specific locations themselves.
The Unpack '24 report from Expedia sets the stage for an exciting year of travel, guided by the fusion of cinematic allure, unconventional celebrations, and the integration of cutting-edge technology. As globetrotters prepare to unfurl their maps and embark on adventures, the destinations of 2024 beckon with promises of unforgettable experiences shaped by the narratives that have captured our hearts on the big and small screen alike.
More from FinanceBuzz:
Easy-to-Earn Unlimited Rewards
- Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Earn 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases
- Longer intro APR on qualifying purchases and balance transfers
- No foreign transaction fees
- Apply Now
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire as long as your account remains open.
- 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases.
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want - you're not limited to specific websites with blackout dates or restrictions.
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for travel or dining purchases, such as flights, hotel stays, car and vacation rentals, baggage fees, and also at restaurants including takeout.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the Intro APR offer ends, a Variable APR that’s currently 18.24% - 28.24% will apply. A 3% Intro balance transfer fee will apply for the first 60 days your account is open. After the Intro balance transfer fee offer ends, the fee for future balance transfers is 4%.
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards® member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase. That means instead of earning an unlimited 1.5 points for every $1, you could earn 1.87-2.62 points for every $1 you spend on purchases.
- Contactless Cards - The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap.
- This online only offer may not be available if you leave this page or if you visit a Bank of America financial center. You can take advantage of this offer when you apply now.
Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
Why we like it