The World of Hyatt Credit Card can be a great choice for those who stay at Hyatt properties even a few times a year. Not only can you benefit from one automatic free night at a Category 1-4 Hyatt resort each year you’re a cardholder, you’ll also earn an additional free night once you spend at least $15,000 during the year.
As a cardholder, you can also earn bonus points for Hyatt purchases and for purchases in other select spending categories, along with being eligible to earn a generous sign-up bonus.
While the card lacks some of the perks of more full-feature hotel credit cards, such as the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, it’s a great mid-tier hotel card that makes earning free nights quick and easy.
Big bonus points on Hyatt stays
- 50,000 point sign-up bonus
- Up to 9X points per $1 spent on Hyatt stays
- 1 free night every year
- Automatic elite status
- $95 annual fee
- Lacks some perks of costlier hotel cards
- No intro 0% APR on purchases or balance transfers
Who should get the World of Hyatt Credit Card?
If you plan to stay at a Hyatt property at least once per year, the World of Hyatt Credit Card may be worth it for you.
The annual fee should just about be covered by the free night in a Category 1-4 Hyatt Hotel resort that you earn each cardmember anniversary year. If you spend at least $15,000 annually on your Card, the second free night makes it an especially good deal.
The free night at Hyatt hotels isn’t the only perk you get. You also benefit from automatic elite status in the World of Hyatt membership program at the Discoverist level. This status gets you benefits like free Wi-Fi and a free bottle of water daily at participating Hyatt hotels.
|Credit card issuer||Chase|
|Sign-up bonus||Earn up to 50,000 Bonus Points: 25,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, plus an additional 25,000 after spending a total of $6,000 in the first 6 months of account opening|
|Reward rate||up to 9X points|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
World of Hyatt Credit Card benefits & perks
- Generous sign-up bonus: Earn up to 50,000 Bonus Points: 25,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, plus an additional 25,000 after spending a total of $6,000 in the first 6 months.
- Bonus points: Earn 9X points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels; 2X points per $1 spent on eligible travel, dining, and health purchases; and 1 point per $1 spent on everything else of account opening.
- Free hotel stays: Get one free night award on your cardmember anniversary at a Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort. Earn an extra free night at a Hyatt hotel or resort after spending $15,000 on your card during the year.
- Automatic World of Hyatt elite status: As a World of Hyatt card member, you get automatic Discoverist status in the World of Hyatt membership program. This status comes with perks such as free Wi-Fi and a free bottle of water each day you stay at a Hyatt property.
- Opportunities to earn a higher status in the World of Hyatt program: Cardholders receive five qualifying night credits to help move up to a higher World of Hyatt membership tier each year as well as an additional two qualifying night credits toward your tier status every time you spend at least $5,000 on your card. Higher statuses come with additional perks, such as late checkout, room upgrades, and free breakfasts.
Drawbacks to the World of Hyatt Credit Card
- Annual fee: The World of Hyatt credit card comes with a $95.
- Hyatt's footprint: Hyatt has fewer properties than other big-name hotel chains like Marriott and Hilton. There are 900 Hyatt properties worldwide, compared with 6,900 Marriott and 5,500 Hilton properties.
Earning & redeeming World of Hyatt points
Potential earnings in years one and two
Here's a look at how your points can add up with the World of Hyatt Credit Card. To calculate these values, we used a point valuation of 0.01.
Remember, this is an estimation. The actual value will be determined by how much you spend and in which categories you spend.
First-year earnings: $1,402
Second-year earnings: $902
These values are based on the FinanceBuzz Credit Card Rewards Valuation Model which takes a look at points earned via spending, the sign-up bonus, and the annual fee.
Best ways to earn
The best way to earn World of Hyatt points is to use your card to shop for purchases that net you bonus points.
The chart below shows how many points you can earn per dollar spent in select categories as a World of Hyatt cardholder.
|Eligible travel, dining, and health purchases — including local transit, airline tickets, fitness club and gym memberships||2X|
|All other purchases||1X|
Maximizing your redemptions
To get the most bang for your buck, you’ll likely want to redeem your World of Hyatt points for stays at participating hotels.
While your points can be transferred to airline partners or redeemed for experiences at Hyatt hotels (such as spa services), redeeming your points for hotels is usually the best approach for maximum value.
Free nights at Hyatt hotels start at just 5,000 points, so it won’t take long to earn enough points for a free stay.
World of Hyatt Credit Card FAQs
Is the World of Hyatt Credit Card worth it?
With an annual free night award on your account anniversary as a standout benefit, the World of Hyatt Credit Card is likely worth it if you can take advantage of the free annual stay. This likely can cover the annual fee. Also, if you spend at least $15,000 on your card during the year, you’ll earn another free night, which further helps justify the annual fee and could make the card worth it.
Is World of Hyatt a credit card?
World of Hyatt is the Hyatt Hotel’s loyalty program. You can earn free nights by staying at Hyatt hotels and resorts, and you can also move up to a higher membership tier after a certain number of hotel stays each year.
Do you earn automatic elite status with the World of Hyatt Card?
While you don’t need to have the World of Hyatt Credit Card to be a World of Hyatt member, the card does automatically entitle you to move up to the Discoverist tier. Having the card could also help you move up to higher tiers like Explorist and Globalist more quickly and make you eligible for other benefits, such as additional points for purchases at Hyatt properties.
Does the World of Hyatt Credit Card have foreign transaction fees?
No, there are no foreign transaction fees charged when you use your World of Hyatt Credit Card on purchases outside of the U.S.
What credit score do you need for the World of Hyatt Card?
The World of Hyatt Card is issued by Chase, and you'll likely need a good to excellent credit score to get approved for this card. According to FICO, a good score falls within the 670 to 739 range.
Do Hyatt members get free breakfast?
Members of the World of Hyatt program can get free breakfast at participating Hyatt Place hotels when they book a hotel stay through Hyatt.com. Breakfast benefits at other Hyatt properties may vary based on your World of Hyatt program status and your property of choice.
Other cards to consider
The World of Hyatt Credit Card offers great value for anyone who stays at a Hyatt hotel at least once per year. However, if Hyatt isn’t your go-to property, it may make sense to consider what other rewards credit cards have to offer.
Depending on where you’re more likely to stay, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card and the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card make for great alternatives with locations around the world.
Aside from their generous welcome offers and rewards point-earning flexibility, these hotel cards are packed with a slew of valuable benefits and features that will earn you free nights in no time — without paying a cent more in annual fees.
Big bonus points on Hyatt stays
Earn up to 50,000 Bonus Points: 25,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, plus an additional 25,000 after spending a total of $6,000 in the first 6 months
See how these cards compare:
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
- Limited time offer: 100,000 point sign-up offer
- 6X points at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy
- One free night each year
- No foreign transaction fee
Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express
- 125,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Point welcome offer
- 12X points at participating Hilton hotels and resorts
- Free weekend night reward stay after spending $15,000 in a calendar year
- No foreign transaction fee
- Terms apply