One way to get the most out of a credit card is to choose one that offers rewards you’ll actually use. The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express has a tiered rewards program aimed at prioritizing the things you buy literally every day. This Amex Blue Cash Everyday review will help you decide if this card is a good fit for you.
A Simple Cashback Card for Day-to-Day
- Earn $100 cash back after spending $2,000 in the first 6 months
- Earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases in the first 6 months, for up to $150 back
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets
- No annual fee. Terms apply.
- See rates and fees
- No travel rewards
- Grocery rewards are capped
- Rewards dollars can’t be used toward the minimum payment due
Who should get the Amex Blue Cash Everyday?
The Amex Blue Cash Everyday is a rewards credit card aimed at those who want cash back when they spend on regular, everyday purchases like groceries and gas. The tiered bonus categories allow consumers to get cash back (in the form of statement credits) on things that are probably in their budgets anyway. For someone who wants a simple cashback card and to be rewarded for things they’re already buying, this can be a good choice.
If you’re looking to earn travel rewards and perks, though, this card might not be for you. The focus is on cash back, so you won’t earn airline miles with a specific program or get perks like free checked bags, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck reimbursement, or airport lounge access. This list of the best travel cards might provide you with better options if you’re looking for travel perks.
|Card type||Cash Back|
|Card issuer||American Express|
|Annual fee||$0 (See rates and fees). Terms apply.|
|Welcome bonus||Earn $100 cash back (in the form of a statement credit) after spending $2,000 in the first 6 months; plus, earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases in the first 6 months, for up to $150 back|
|Reward rate||20% cash back at Amazon.com during the first six months (up to $150), 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 a year, 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, and 1% cash back on other purchases|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent, Good|
|Intro APR||0% for 15 months on purchases then 13.99% to 23.99% (variable) (See rates and fees)
|Foreign transaction fee||2.7% (See rates and fees)|
Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express benefits and perks
- Generous welcome offer: Earn $100 cash back (in the form of a statement credit) after spending $2,000 in the first 6 months; plus, earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases in the first 6 months, for up to $150 back. You’ll receive a statement credit for the $100 statement credit bonus once you meet the minimum spending requirement.
- Great intro APR on purchases: The introductory APR on purchases is 0% for 15 months. The low intro APR makes this a good credit card for large purchases, since new cardholders can pay those purchases off over time without incurring interest charges. After the intro period has ended, then regular interest rate of 13.99% to 23.99% (variable) will apply.
- Tiered cash back on everyday items: Get cash back on items you buy every day: 20% cash back at Amazon.com during the first six months (up to $150), 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 a year, 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, and 1% cash back on other purchases. This is a good way to earn cash back on items already in your budget.
- No annual fee: You won’t have to pay an annual fee with the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card.
- Car rental coverage: If you use this card to book a rental car and decline the collision damage waiver, then Amex will cover you with rental car insurance if the vehicle is stolen or damaged.
- ShopRunner benefits: As a cardholder, you will get a complimentary ShopRunner membership. This can get you free two-day shipping on eligible purchases through participating online retailers. Enrollment required.
- Instant card number: For some applicants, an instant card number may be available if you are approved for a new card. That means you could start shopping right away upon approval though you may not have access to your entire credit limit. As with any credit card, your total credit line will be determined based on your creditworthiness and credit history.
Drawbacks to this card
- Cap on bonus spending: While this card does earn you 3% on purchases at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000 per year, after that 1%), this bonus rate is capped at $6,000 in spending annually. So if your household has some big grocer spenders and that's less than your yearly budget for supermarket spending, this card might not be the best fit for you or you may need a second credit card that earns rewards on groceries.
- Foreign transaction fee: If you plan to travel outside the U.S., this card will not be the best fit. You'll be better off with a credit card with no foreign transaction fee.
Earning & redeeming cash back
Potential earnings in years one and two
Here's a look how your cash back rewards can add up with the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express. All cash back earned comes in the form of statement credits.
Remember, this is an estimation. The actual value will be determined by how much you spend and in which categories you spend.
Year one earnings: $693
Year two earnings: $593
These values are based on the FinanceBuzz Credit Card Rewards Valuation Model which takes a look at points earned via spending, the welcome bonus, and the annual fee.
Best ways to earn
The best way to earn cash back from the Blue Cash Everyday card is to use it for your regular grocery and gas purchases. You automatically receive a higher earnings rate with those bonus categories, and you won’t have to worry about rotating categories like you would with a card like the Chase Freedom. Simply create your budget as normal and make sure to use your Blue Cash Everyday card when you go to the supermarket and to the gas station.
It’s important to note that you’ll be capped in terms of how much you can earn in supermarket rewards. Once you spend $6,000 at U.S. supermarkets during the year, you’re dropped down to earning 1% cash back in that category. It’s important to keep this in mind and to consider other cards you might have with rotating spending categories so you can get the maximum cash back.
Additionally, American Express does not consider superstores and warehouse clubs to be supermarkets. So this would not be a good rewards card if your "grocery store" is a warehouse club like Costco or a superstore like Target or Walmart.
|U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000 per year, after that 1%)||3%|
|U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores||2%|
Maximizing your redemptions
You will earn your cash back in the form of Reward Dollars and redeeming them is simple. You can take your redemption as a statement credit once you’ve earned $25 in Reward Dollars.
Amex Blue Cash Everyday FAQs
Is the Blue Cash Everyday Card a charge card?
No, the Blue Cash Everyday Card is not a charge card. A charge card is one that must be paid off at the end of each month. Instead, the Blue Cash Everyday card is a credit card. If you carry a balance, you’ll pay interest.
What credit score is needed for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday?
To get the American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card, you will likely need to have a good to excellent credit score. You can get a look at your credit history and know if you are likely to be approved for any given credit card by regularly checking your credit report.
What is the difference between the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card and Blue Cash Everyday?
There are a few differences between the Amex EveryDay Card and the Blue Cash Everyday Card. First, instead of getting cashback rewards, the Amex EveryDay offers American Express Membership Rewards points.
Additionally, the two cards offer different rewards rates. The Amex EveryDay offers 2X points per dollar (on the first $6,000 spent at U.S. supermarkets each year, after that 1X), and 1X on everything else. While the Blue Cash Everyday offers 20% cash back at Amazon.com during the first six months (up to $150), 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 a year, 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, and 1% cash back on other purchases.
Does the American Express Blue Cash Everyday have an annual fee?
No, the American Express Blue Cash Everyday card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Other cards to consider
If you’re interested in other cashback credit cards, you may consider another Amex card such as Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, or a card from a completely different credit card issuer like the Citi Double Cash. Here's why these rewards credit cards might be a better fit for you:
The Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card offers 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (for first $6,000 per year, after that 1X) and on U.S. streaming services, 3% at U.S. gas stations and on eligible transit, and 1% on other purchases. Like the Blue Cash Everyday, cash back is offered in the form of statement credits. This card does come with a $95 (waived first year) (See rates and fees) annual fee. But if you spend anywhere close to the national average on groceries, your cashback earnings from this category alone will more than cover twice the annual fee.
The Citi Double Cash Card is a better fit for people who want ample cash rewards but don't want to track their spending or use multiple rewards cards. The Citi Double Cash earns you a rewards rate of up to 2% cash back on all purchases: 1% as you buy and 1% as you pay. This means you earn that rewards rate on your spending whether you're shopping at Amazon, Kohl's, or a one-of-a-kind boutique shop. This card also has a $0 annual fee.
A Simple Cashback Card for Day-to-Day
Earn $100 cash back (in the form of a statement credit) after spending $2,000 in the first 6 months; plus, earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases in the first 6 months, for up to $150 back
See how these cards compare:
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn $150 cash back after spending $3,000 in the first 6 months
- Earn 20% back on Amazon.com purchases in the first 6 months, for up to $200 back
- 6% cash back on U.S. streaming services and at U.S. supermarkets
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and on eligible transit
- $95 annual fee. Terms apply.
- See rates and fees
Citi Double Cash Card
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months
- 2% cash back on all purchases - 1% when you buy and 1% when you pay
- No annual fee