Delta Air Lines has become one of the best airlines to fly in the United States because of its outstanding customer service. The airline complements its inflight performance with its high-rewards-earning co-branded Delta credit cards. If you love Delta — or just love scoring travel rewards — then the Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card could be a great choice to start earning valuable Delta SkyMiles without paying an annual fee.
In this Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card review, you’ll learn who this card is a good fit for, as well as its best benefits and how to maximize its potential.
In-flight Savings, No Annual Fee
- 10,000 bonus mile welcome offer
- 2X miles on Delta purchases and at restaurants worldwide
- 20% in-flight savings
- No annual fee
- Terms apply
- No free checked bag
- Best for frequent Delta travelers
Who should get this card?
If you’re looking for the best travel credit card to start earning Delta SkyMiles without paying an annual fee, this card is a great option. Even if you fly Delta as little as once per year, don’t shy away from this card. Your spending throughout the course of a year could mean your yearly flight is completely paid for using the Delta SkyMiles you earned.
Also, if you’re a business traveler or someone who simply enjoys eating out, this card can give solid returns for purchases at U.S. restaurants.
|Card Issuer||American Express|
|Welcome Bonus||Earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in the first 3 months|
|Recommended Credit Score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
Top card benefits
- Generous welcome offer: You’ll earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in the first 3 months.
- Great points earnings: When you use your Delta SkyMiles Blue Credit Card, you’ll earn 2X miles on eligible purchases made directly with Delta and at restaurants worldwide, and 1X miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Inflight savings: You’ll get a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit when you use your card on inflight purchases such as food, beverages, and audio headsets when flying Delta Air Lines.
- Travel protections: If you rent a car using the Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card, you’ll be covered with car rental loss and damage insurance (secondary coverage). Along with this, you’ll have access to the Global Assist Hotline. When you travel more than 100 miles from home, you’ll have 24/7 access to medical, legal, and other emergency resources.
- Shopping protections: It’s a relief to know that when making large purchases, the Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card will cover you in case a purchase goes sour. First, you’ll have access to an extended warranty. This can extend the manufacturer's warranty for up to an additional year. Next, you’ll enjoy purchase protection. If something you bought is stolen or accidentally damaged within a certain number of days of purchase, you may qualify for this protection. Last, if you attempt to return something with no luck within 90 days of purchase, American Express may refund the full purchase price minus shipping and handling.
Earning & redeeming
Earning and redeeming with the Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card is simple. As you earn with your spending, your Delta SkyMiles balance will increase. These miles can immediately be redeemed for a flight on Delta Air Lines and any of its SkyTeam Alliance partners, which include Air France, KLM, Korean Air, and more.
You can also use your miles to purchase things like seat upgrades, a package trip with Delta Vacations, a SkyMiles Experience, or gift cards. Typically, the best bang for your buck is going to be saving your points and using them to book airfare. The other purchasing opportunities tend to pencil out to be a bad value for your hard-earned points.
Best ways to earn
Here are the earning categories for the Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card:
|Purchases made directly with Delta and at restaurants worldwide||2X|
|All other eligible purchases||1X|
Along with simply making purchases with this card, there are other ways you can earn even more miles. One of these is the Delta SkyMiles Dining program. This program is effortless to enroll in and gives you additional SkyMiles earnings on your restaurant purchases.
If you were able to fully maximize the Delta SkyMiles Dining program and use your Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card, you could be earning up to seven miles per dollar on your U.S. restaurant purchases — five from the dining program and two for using your card. Since the general consensus among travel rewards experts is that each SkyMile is worth 1.2 cents on average, that means you can effectively earn up to 8.4% back in value on every dollar you spend in the Delta SkyMiles Dining program.
Maximizing your redemptions
So, what are Delta SkyMiles worth? As mentioned, travel rewards experts estimate their value at roughly 1.2 cents per point. However, you should always be wary of how you redeem your Delta SkyMiles. Airline miles should be treated like money since you spent your hard-earned cash to earn them.
For example, let's say a flight from Los Angeles to New York City costs $400 round trip or 94,000 Delta SkyMiles. To figure out the value of your SkyMiles, use this equation:
(Cost of flight in miles) x (0.012) = Cash value of points used for flight
In this case, the equation would look like this: 94,000 Delta SkyMiles x 0.012 = $1,128.
This means you’d need $1,128 worth of points to pay for a $400 flight in cash. Clearly, this is a bad deal, and you should consider paying cash instead or looking for a better redemption.
Does the Blue Delta SkyMiles credit card offer a free checked bag?
No, it doesn’t. However, the Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card does offer a free checked bag.
Is the Blue Delta SkyMiles credit card worth it?
This is a great card for someone looking to earn Delta SkyMiles without an annual fee. However, if you’re open to paying an annual fee, you may want to look at other cards that can earn you Delta SkyMiles and that also come with more perks like the American Express Delta Gold SkyMiles Card.
Can you have two Delta Amex cards?
Yes, you can. Many frequent flyers of Delta have more than one Delta Amex so they can earn even more Delta SkyMiles, including myself. While American Express doesn’t have a formal spoken policy on how many credit cards you can hold, the online travel community has come to the consensus that five or six American Express cards is the max based on their collective experiences. This number includes both personal and business credit cards.
Can I use my Delta American Express card anywhere?
Yes, you can use your card anywhere that American Express is accepted. Even better, the Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card has no foreign transaction fee.
What is 10,000 Delta SkyMiles worth?
Delta SkyMiles are estimated to be worth 1.2 cents per mile, according to many travel rewards experts. At that valuation, 10,000 Delta SkyMiles would be worth $120.
Other cards to consider
If the Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card doesn’t meet your needs, there are other cards that can earn valuable Delta SkyMiles.
The Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card is one step above the Delta SkyMiles Blue Credit Card. With the Delta SkyMiles Gold Credit Card, you’ll earn 2X miles on qualifying Delta purchases, at restaurants, and at U.S supermarkets; and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases. While you won’t score more points on purchases at restaurants, you’ll enjoy a free checked bag when flying on Delta, which can save you up to $60 round trip. The annual fee is $99 (waived first year).
If you like to fly Delta but plan to fly other airlines as well, consider a card like the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. With this card, you’ll earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. You can also transfer these miles to a list of airlines: Aeromexico, Air France-KLM, Air Canada, Alitalia, Cathay Pacific, Avianca, Emirates, Etihad, EVA Air, Finnair, Hainan Airlines, JetBlue, Qantas, Qatar Airways, and Singapore Airlines. The card’s annual fee is $95.
In-flight Savings, No Annual Fee
Earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in the first 3 months
See how these cards compare:
Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card
- Earn up to 35,000 bonus miles
- Earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit to use toward future travel after you spend $10,000 in a calendar year
- 2X miles on purchases with Delta, at restaurants, and at U.S. supermarkets
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights
- Annual fee is waived your first year
- Terms apply
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- 60,000 bonus mile welcome offer
- 2X miles on every purchase, every day
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit
- No foreign transaction fees