Business owners who are looking for a way to earn travel rewards on their regular purchases should consider the United Business Card. United and Chase recently revamped their business card offerings, which means you can take advantage of an unbelievable 100,000-mile sign-up bonus.
The United Business Card offers value with all of its travel perks, but also with its miles-earning potential in popular spending categories. Let’s take a closer look at what makes this United Airlines credit card unique.
Amazing sign-up bonus!
- 100,000 mile sign-up bonus
- 2X miles on United purchases, at restaurants, gas stations, office supply stores, and on local transit and commuting
- $100 annual United credit (terms apply)
- 5,000 bonus miles annually if you also have a personal United card
- Free checked bag, priority boarding, and 2 United Club passes annually
Who should get the United Business Card?
The United Business Card is designed for business owners who love earning award flights and other travel perks. First, you can’t glance over the 100,000-mile welcome bonus attached to this card. Not only is this an incredible offer, but it’s also very unusual for an airline credit card to provide a welcome bonus this valuable.
If you’re already a frequent flyer with United Airlines, then the United Business Card could be a great card for you. It comes with several benefits beyond the sign-up bonus, including priority boarding, a free first checked bag, and passes to United Club lounges. Cardmembers who take advantage of these extra perks will more than make up for this card’s $99 annual fee.
If you don’t travel much, especially with United Airlines, it’s hard to picture this card making sense for you. A cash back credit card or more versatile travel rewards credit card might be a better fit for your business purchases.
|Sign-up bonus||Earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $10,000 in the first three months|
|Reward rate||2X miles on United purchases, at restaurants, gas stations, office supply stores, and on local transit and commuting; and 1X miles on everything else|
|Recommended credit score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
United Business Card benefits and perks
- Generous sign-up bonus: Earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $10,000 in the first three months. Cardmembers who’ve received the United Business Explorer bonus in the past 24 months are still eligible to receive this bonus unless they converted directly to this card from the United Business Explorer card.
- $100 travel credit: Each year, cardmembers who make seven United flight purchases of $100 or more will receive a $100 United travel credit.
- 5,000 bonus miles: If you have both the United Business Card and a Chase United personal card, you’ll receive 5,000 bonus miles each year on your cardmember anniversary.
- United Club passes: Gain access to airport lounges worldwide, with two free one-time United Club passes added to your MileagePlus account each year on your cardmember anniversary.
- Boarding privileges: Cardmembers and companions on the same reservation receive priority boarding on all United flights.
- Free checked bag: Skip costly baggage fees with the United Business Card. The cardmember and one companion on the same reservation get a first checked bag free on all United flights.
Drawbacks of the United Business Card
- Annual fee: This card comes with a $99 annual fee.
- Spending requirement for welcome bonus: In order to get that incredible 100,000-mile bonus, you need to spend $10,000 in first 3 months. If you aren’t a big spender, it could be difficult to meet that threshold.
Earning and redeeming United MileagePlus miles
Best ways to earn
There are several ways to earn United MileagePlus miles with the United Business Card. You can earn 2X miles on United purchases, at restaurants, gas stations, office supply stores, and on local transit and commuting; and 1X miles on everything else. You can also build up miles quickly by supplying your employees with United Business Cards.
|United purchases, restaurants, gas stations, office supply stores, and local transit and commuting||2X|
Maximizing your redemptions
The MileagePlus program through United Airlines offers many redemption options for cardmembers to enjoy. The main draw of having an airline credit card is to earn award flights, which is possible with the United Business Card. You can redeem your miles for United flights and upgrades, as well as flights on more than 35 partner airlines through Star Alliance and MileagePlus.
Domestic one-way flights typically start at 12,500 miles, but you can occasionally find United Saver Award flights as low as 5,000 points for a one-way economy fare. Domestic business and first-class flights start at 25,000 miles.
In addition to award flights, you can also redeem MileagePlus miles for hotel accommodations, cruises, and car rentals. You can even redeem points for credit on TSA PreCheck fees.
Outside of travel, other redemption options include:
- Apple purchases
- Gift cards
- Exclusive experiences
Redemption values vary, so it’s important to make sure that you’re getting good value for your miles when redeeming through MileagePlus.
United Business Card transfer partners
If you have a Chase card that earns Ultimate Rewards points, you can transfer those points to United MileagePlus at a 1:1 ratio. Transfers are instant, so if you need more United miles in a pinch, this is a decent way to boost your balance.
You can also use your MileagePlus miles for flights on more than 35 partner airlines in the Star Alliance and MileagePlus programs, including:
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- Brussels Airlines
- Copa Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines
- EVA Air
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Scandinavian Airlines
- Shenzhen Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- Swiss Airlines
- TAP Air Portugal
- Thai Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- Aer Lingus
- Air Dolomiti
- Boutique Air
- Cape Air
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Olympic Air
- Silver Airways
United has also partnered with several hotel rewards programs. You can earn MileagePlus miles for qualifying stays at properties in the following programs:
- Marriott Bonvoy
- Accor Live Limitless
- Hilton Honors
- IHG Rewards Club
- Radisson Rewards
- World of Hyatt
- Wyndham Rewards
- Golden Circle
United Business Card FAQs
What credit score is needed for the United Business Card?
You need a minimum of good to excellent credit to qualify for the United Business Card. A good FICO credit score ranges from 670 to 739; excellent scores range from 800 to 850.
How many miles do you need for a free flight on United?
One-way Economy Saver flights can be found for as few as 5,000 miles. Most domestic flights start at 12,500 miles for Basic Economy fares.
Do United miles expire?
United MileagePlus miles do not expire.
Is the United Business Card worth it?
The United Business card is packed with value if you are a frequent United flyer. It has incredible earning potential in spending categories that are popular with many businesses. The welcome bonus alone makes this card a solid choice for your next business credit card. If you aren’t interested in travel redemptions and perks, this isn’t the credit card for you or your business.
What is the best United Airlines card?
All of the United Airlines credit cards offer significant value to cardmembers. With the United Business Card, you get lots of perks for a relatively low annual fee of $99. If you love access to airport lounges, then the United Club Business Card may be a better option. Both cards come with the generous welcome bonus. With its 75,000-mile sign-up bonus and United Club membership, the United MileagePlus Club Card is a great choice for a personal credit card.
To learn more about the different United credit cards, check out our review of the top credit cards for United passengers.
Other cards to consider
The United Club Business Card provides premium travel rewards for business owners, and it also comes with a 100,000-mile sign-up bonus. Although it does have a much higher annual fee of $450, this card comes with United Club membership, which gives you unlimited access to participating airport lounges worldwide. If you travel frequently, this perk could help you save some serious money on food and drinks at the airport.
If you’re looking for a more versatile business credit card, the Chase Ink Business Preferred Card is also worth considering. With this card, you can earn 100,000 points after spending $15,000 in the first 3 months. Plus, you’ll gain access to Chase Ultimate Rewards, one of the most popular credit card rewards programs in the world. Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed through the Chase portal for travel or with 13 partner airline and hotel programs. The Chase Ink Business Preferred card has a $95 annual fee.
Amazing sign-up bonus!
Earn 100,000 bonus miles after spending $10,000 in the first three months
See how these cards compare:
United Club Business Card
- 100,000 bonus mile sign-up offer (for a limited time)
- 2X miles on United purchases, 1.5X miles on all other purchases
- United Club membership
- Free employee cards
Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card
- 100,000 point sign-up bonus
- 3X points on travel and common business spending categories
- Flexible redemption options
- Additional employee cards at no extra cost