From music and Mardi Gras in New Orleans to the peacefulness of the bayous, Louisiana residents have a lot of reasons to explore the Pelican State by road. But despite having a relatively low cost of living, Louisiana has above-average car insurance rates.
- Key takeaways
- Best car insurance companies in Louisiana
- USAA: Highest customer satisfaction
- Farm Bureau: Most affordable coverage
- State Farm: Best for new drivers
- Allstate: Best for coverage options
- GEICO: Best for senior drivers
- Louisiana auto insurance requirements
- How to choose a car insurance provider in Louisiana
- How much does car insurance cost in Louisiana?
- Louisiana car insurance rates by city
- FAQs about car insurance costs in Louisiana
- The best car insurance in Louisiana is USAA, which costs $1,724 per year for comprehensive coverage.
- Drivers with a clean driving record pay an average of $215 per month in Louisiana.
- Drivers who live in New Orleans pay an average of $3,986 annually for full coverage.
Best car insurance companies in Louisiana
In Louisiana, full coverage car insurance costs an average of $2,586 annually and $1,089 for minimum insurance.
Drivers who use USAA and Farm Bureau may pay less than the state average. However, those who use Progressive could pay the most, an average of $2,834 yearly for full coverage. Allstate has the most costly minimum coverage on our list, at $1,300 annually.
|J.D. Power customer satisfaction rating
|Estimated annual full coverage
|Estimated annual minimum liability coverage
USAA: Highest customer satisfaction
USAA earned the highest customer satisfaction rating in Louisiana. It is the state’s most affordable full coverage provider and has the second most affordable minimum coverage. USAA offers standard policies and discounts, but only current and former military members and their families are eligible for a policy.
- USAA had the cheapest full coverage in Louisiana
- It offers various discounts, including up to 15% if you garage your car on base
- USAA policies are not available to everyone
- You may find more discount and coverage options with a competitor
Farm Bureau: Most affordable coverage
Farm Bureau has the most affordable minimum coverage in Louisiana and the second-highest full coverage, behind USAA. Farm Bureau’s auto insurance is available to everyone who pays the yearly membership fee, even if they aren’t in agriculture. It offers standard policies, and membership includes discounts at hotels, car rentals, and even Dollywood.
- Members may save money on hotels, rental cars, and entertainment packages
- Farm Bureau earned the second-highest customer satisfaction score in Louisiana
- Farm Bureau requires a yearly membership fee to access its insurance policies
- You may find more coverage options and specific insurance discounts with a competitor
State Farm: Best for new drivers
For full coverage insurance, young drivers in Louisiana pay a staggering average of $7,764 a year. State Farm was not the lowest-cost option on our list of the best car insurance companies, but it has a variety of policies and discounts, including those specifically for new drivers, who could save as much as 25%.
- State Farm has multiple agents and offices throughout Louisiana
- It had below-average prices for both full and minimum car insurance
- You may find more options or discounts with a competitor
- State Farm was third place in customer satisfaction in the state
Allstate: Best for coverage options
Allstate has extensive coverage options, including rideshare, gap coverages, and a vanishing deductible. It also has multiple discounts, including driving a new car or installing anti-theft devices. Despite its numerous options, it was still the most expensive carrier for minimum coverage, charging an average of $1,300 per year.
- Allstate offers multiple policy add-ons, including a vanishing deductible program
- It has multiple agents throughout Louisiana
- Allstate was the second most expensive full coverage option on our list
- It had the second-lowest customer satisfaction scores in the state
GEICO: Best for senior drivers
Senior drivers in Louisiana pay an average of $2,623 for full coverage. Although GEICO was not the cheapest option available in Louisiana, it does provide discounts and policies specifically for seniors, including a guaranteed renewal program for customers over 50. Additionally, it also offers defensive driving and retired government and military discounts.
- GEICO had lower car insurance rates in Louisiana than some other carriers
- It has multiple policy and discount options specifically for people over 50
- GEICO earned the lowest customer satisfaction score in the state
- It has limited agents in Louisiana
Louisiana auto insurance requirements
Drivers in Louisiana are required to carry liability coverage on any vehicle they own. Each vehicle must have:
- $15,000 bodily injury coverage for one person
- $30,000 bodily injury coverage for more than one person
- $25,000 for property damage to someone else’s property
How to choose a car insurance provider in Louisiana
When you’re looking for a new car insurance provider, keep a few things in mind to help you get the best insurance at the best price:
- Check financial stability: Before starting a new car insurance policy, check its ability to pay claims on a website like Standard & Poor’s or AM Best. It’s also wise to check with the Louisiana Department of Insurance or the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) to confirm a company is licensed in Louisiana.
- Check pricing and discounts: Get quotes from multiple companies to compare pricing. Double-check that you received every discount you qualify for and that the policy amounts and coverage options are similar for an accurate comparison.
- Read customer reviews: As you research, pay attention to customer reviews and look for a company that is easy to work with, handles claims quickly, and is good at answering questions.
How much does car insurance cost in Louisiana?
The average cost of car insurance in Louisiana is $2,586 for full coverage and $1,089 a year for minimum coverage. Comparatively, the national average for full coverage insurance is just $1,582.
Drivers in Shreveport tend to pay the least for car insurance, an average of $2,377 annually. New Orleans drivers tend to pay the most, with a yearly average of $3,986.
Louisiana car insurance rates by city
Insurance premiums in Louisiana tend to be higher than in other parts of the country. This can lead to even higher insurance rates in more populated cities since there’s a higher likelihood of accidents or vehicle damage.
Baton Rouge, for example, has a population of 222,185, and residents pay an average of $3,132 a year for car insurance. Alexandria, however, only has a population of 44,787, and insurance costs an average of $2,794 annually. Since Alexandria has a significantly smaller population, it makes sense that it would pay less for car insurance compared to places like Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
|Avg. annual full-coverage premium
Our analysis was conducted using six different auto insurance marketplaces to determine the best auto insurance in each state. The data we analyzed included coverage premiums from up to 10 different insurance providers. We looked at rates by city, driver profile, and credit score, as well as factored in the impact of driving violations. This data is for comparative purposes only. Your actual quote may be different.
FAQs about car insurance costs in Louisiana
What are the minimum car insurance coverage requirements in Louisiana?
In Louisiana, each vehicle must have insurance coverage with at least a minimum of $15,000 for bodily injury to one person and $30,000 for bodily injury to more than one person. Drivers must also have $25,000 for property damage.
How much does car insurance cost in Louisiana?
Car insurance in Louisiana costs an average of $2,586 yearly for full coverage and $1,089 for minimum coverage.
Which car insurance companies cover Louisiana?
Several car insurance providers cover Louisiana, including USAA, GEICO, Progressive, State Farm, Allstate, and regional carrier Farm Bureau.
What is the cheapest car insurance company in Louisiana?
USAA is Louisiana's cheapest option for full coverage insurance, costing an average of $1,724 yearly. Farm Bureau has the most affordable minimum coverage, just $660 annually.