People traveled all around the world in 2023, from domestic trips to visit family or friends, work trips across continents, or destination vacations internationally. By September alone, travel spending had reached $104 billion.
Whether you’re an avid traveler or looking to step up your travel game, check out the top 10 travel hotspots of 2023.
If you’re over 50, take advantage of massive travel discounts and trip-planning resources
Over 50 and love traveling? Join AARP today — because if you’re not a member, you could be missing out on huge travel perks. When you start your membership today, you can get discounts on hotels and resorts, airfare, cruises, car rentals, and more.
How to become a member today:
- Go here, select your free gift, and click “Join Today”
- Create your account (important!) by answering a few simple questions
- Start enjoying your discounts and perks!
An AARP membership not only unlocks discounts that could save you hundreds on your next trip, but you’ll also have access to deals on vacation packages, guided tours, and exclusive content to help plan your next getaway.
Important: Start your membership by creating an account here and filling in all of the information (do not skip this step!). Doing so will allow you to take up to 25% off your AARP membership, making it just $12 per year with auto-renewal.
London has always been a major tourist destination, and that didn’t change in 2023. It was one of the most frequently searched spots this year and had an estimated 37.5 million overseas visitors.
The city is rich in history and tourist destinations, from Big Ben and the Tower of London to the London Eye. Be ready to walk a lot or learn how to use public transport, though.
Another hot destination this year was Dubai. The bustling city was also frequently searched this year and saw 13.9 million visitors by October.
There’s no end to the things you can experience and places you can explore in Dubai, from visiting the beaches, adventuring in the desert, scuba diving, and more.
Paris is one of the most consistently popular tourist destinations, especially in 2023. With 42.6 million visitors in the first quarter of the year alone, the romance capital of the world was the third most in-demand city by internet search this year.
Visit the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower, take a stroll by the Seine, indulge in local cuisine and culture, and more. Just be wary of pickpockets, which run rampant in the city.
Earn a $250 travel bonus with this incredible card
There's a credit card that's making waves with its amazing bonus and benefits. The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card has no annual fee and you can earn 25,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.
You can earn additional points just by using this card for your everyday purchases — unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases. The 25,000 bonus points can be redeemed for a $250 statement credit toward travel or dining purchases.
If you want to travel and dine out more, the Travel Rewards card can help you get where you want to go.
The best part? There's no annual fee.
No one is surprised to see New York City on a list of the most buzzworthy tourist spots. The Big Apple was Google's fourth most in-demand and frequently searched destination in 2023.
Estimations project that there will be 51.1 million domestic tourists and 10.8 million international visitors this year.
What can’t you do in New York City? Visit famous historical landmarks, check out iconic restaurants, or enjoy the vivid nightlife. Just be aware of pickpockets and other petty criminals, though crime is going down overall in the city.
The fifth most in-demand, highly searched city in 2023 was Amsterdam. The Netherlands capital was projected to host as many as 20 million visitors this year, locally and internationally.
If you’re planning a 2024 Amsterdam trip, check out the Van Gogh Museum, take a canal tour, or entrench yourself in history at the Anne Frank Museum.
Thailand is a beautiful country to visit, and its capital city, Bangkok, was particularly buzzed about this year. By October, the city had hosted over 20 million visitors.
Bangkok is a city with rich historical and cultural landmarks, a vibrant food scene, and bustling nightlife, making it a wonderful site for next year’s travel bucket list.
Another popular, noteworthy travel site this year was the capital of Bali — Denpasar. Aside from being frequently searched online this year, the city saw around five million visitors.
If you make a trip to the Indonesian city in 2024, check out the various beaches, museums, monuments, markets, festivals, and more the destination offers.
Another city steeped in history and highly sought after this year was Istanbul. Ranking at number eight on Google’s top trending cities globally, the Turkish city welcomed at least 1.63 million guests this year.
History buffs and culture enthusiasts will benefit from taking a trip to Istanbul in 2024, enjoying sites including palaces, historical mosques, bazaars, and more.
Rome is another major European travel destination and was particularly buzzworthy in 2023. The city was projected to return to pre-pandemic levels of tourism this year.
Aside from indulging in delicious local cuisine, visitors next year should be sure to visit some of the most famous landmarks in the world, including the Vatican, the Colosseum, and St. Peter’s Basilica.
Earn cash back on everyday purchases with this rare account
Want to earn cash back on your everyday purchases without using a credit card? With the Discover®️ Cashback Debit Checking account (member FDIC), you can earn 1% cash back on up to $3,000 in debit card purchases each month!1
With no credit check to apply and no monthly fees to worry about, you can earn nearly passive income on purchases you’re making anyway — up to an extra $360 a year!
This rare checking account has other great perks too, like access to your paycheck up to 2 days early with Early Pay, no minimum deposit or monthly balance requirements, over 60K fee-free ATMs, and the ability to add cash to your account at Walmart stores nationwide.
Don’t leave money on the table — it only takes minutes to apply and it won’t impact your credit score.
Barcelona was also discussed a lot this year, ranking 10 in Google’s destination insights for 2023. Spain, in general, saw a boom in tourism this year, particularly popular amongst English, French, and German tourists.
Barcelona is a hub of history, rich cuisine, and vibrant culture. Relax at the beaches or check out any number of the city’s archeological feats, like the Sagrada Familia.
There’s no shortage of countries and cities to explore, but it can be hard to narrow down where to begin.
Take a page from this year’s travelers and consider seeing some buzzworthy sites in 2024. And make sure you book using one of the top travel credit cards to help you earn travel rewards and other perks.
Easy-to-Earn Unlimited Rewards
- Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Earn 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases
- Longer intro APR on qualifying purchases and balance transfers
- No foreign transaction fees
- Apply Now
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire as long as your account remains open.
- 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases.
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want - you're not limited to specific websites with blackout dates or restrictions.
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for travel or dining purchases, such as flights, hotel stays, car and vacation rentals, baggage fees, and also at restaurants including takeout.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 billing cycles for purchases, and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the Intro APR offer ends, a Variable APR that’s currently 18.24% - 28.24% will apply. A 3% Intro balance transfer fee will apply for the first 60 days your account is open. After the Intro balance transfer fee offer ends, the fee for future balance transfers is 4%.
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards® member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase. That means instead of earning an unlimited 1.5 points for every $1, you could earn 1.87-2.62 points for every $1 you spend on purchases.
- Contactless Cards - The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap.
- This online only offer may not be available if you leave this page or if you visit a Bank of America financial center. You can take advantage of this offer when you apply now.
Earn 25,000 online bonus points after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening - that can be a $250 statement credit toward travel purchases
Why we like it