Delivering groceries and food is a great option if you’re looking for a way to make extra money. Grocery delivery services can be a lucrative weekend side hustle if you’ve got a few free hours, and it’s simple to get started.
If this sounds like the right side gig for you, you’ve got options. We’ve put together a list of six on-demand delivery gigs, plus details on what to expect, from the signup process to potential earnings.
Make Money on Demand
Get Paid to Make Deliveries
Get Paid to Go Shopping
1. Deliver with Uber Eats
With Uber Eats, you can deliver by car, scooter, bike, or even by foot in some locations.
How Uber Eats works
Uber launched Uber Eats in 2014. Like other food delivery apps, Uber Eats connects hungry users with delivery persons in a mutually beneficial relationship that leaves stomachs full and wallets bigger.
Requirements vary by delivery option, but to become an Uber Eats driver, you’ll generally need to be at least 18 or 19 years old and have a valid driver’s license and insurance policy if operating a motor vehicle.1 You’ll need to consent to a screening to get started, but there’s no other training required. You can switch the app on and off as you wish, so you’ll always be able to deliver on your schedule.
You’ll need to set up direct deposit to a bank account to get paid. Your earnings are automatically deposited weekly. Uber Eats also provides an option for cashing out your earnings up to five times daily with Instant Pay. Depending on your card, you may incur a $0.50 fee per cash out.
How to get started with Uber Eats
- Sign up to drive with Uber
- Consent to a screening and upload the required documents and photo
- Once your account is active, you can start accepting delivery requests. (Additional steps for new drivers may vary by city.)
How much can you earn with Uber Eats?
Uber Eats doesn’t provide hourly estimates, as pay varies by location. However, delivery drivers keep 100% of their tips. Each delivery fare is calculated based on time, distance, and promotional pay. Uber subtracts a service fee from the total.
Check out our full Uber Eats review for more information.
- Earn money with your car, bike, or even a scooter in some cities!
- Make your own schedule and be your own boss
- You can access your earnings up to 5X per day with Instant Pay
- (Additional terms and conditions apply)
2. Become a DoorDash dasher
If you’re not a fan of shopping and want to deliver happiness while helping to support local restaurants, consider working as a dasher for DoorDash.
How DoorDash works
Available in more than 4,000 cities, DoorDash has been connecting hungry customers to local restaurants since 2013. As a dasher for DoorDash, you’ll be able to work whenever you want. Open the app to accept an order, make your deliveries, or schedule future dashes. You’ll need to be at least 18 years old with one year of driving experience, a driver’s license and insurance, and a smartphone to get started.
How to get started with DoorDash
- Fill out the online application
- Consent to a motor vehicle and background check
- Choose a driver orientation program or order an activation kit
- Complete signup
- Download the app and start working
How much can you earn with DoorDash?
Your earnings depend on your location, delivery time and distance, current promotions, and tips. You’ll be able to see your estimated earnings for each order before accepting it. Each delivery comes with base pay, current promotions (such as extra pay during busy times), and added tips. You’ll always earn the base pay, and you’ll always keep 100% of your tips.2
Check out our full Doordash review for more details.
- Be your own boss and set your own hours
- Keep 100% of the delivery fee plus any tips or boosts
- Just pick up the food, drop it off and get paid!
3. Start shopping with Instacart
If you enjoy grocery shopping and making deliveries, becoming an Instacart shopper could be perfect for you. You can make your hours and start earning quickly.
How Instacart works
Instacart was founded in 2012 to provide same-day delivery services from grocery stores to customers. You’ll need to be at least 18 years of age, have a reliable newer Android or iPhone, be able to pass a background check, and have consistent access to a reliable vehicle to work as an independent contractor for Instacart.
You can choose to work as a full-service or in-store shopper for Instacart. As a full-service shopper, you’ll accept a batch of orders on the Instacart app, which shows an estimate of what you will earn for the work. Next, you’ll go to the store and fulfill your customer's orders; finally, you’ll make your deliveries and get paid.
In-store shoppers are considered part-time Instacart employees, and they’re responsible for shopping in-store for batch items and staging (i.e., bagging and labeling) orders for pick-up.
How to get started with Instacart
- Fill out the online application
- Receive a conditional offer from Instacart
- Authorize a background check
- Once your background clears (within approximately 10 days), open the Instacart app to accept your first batch
How much can you earn with Instacart?
The amount you can earn depends on the following:
- Your location
- The number of orders you complete
- The number of items and effort required for each batch
- Your driving distance
No matter what, you keep 100% of your tips. It’s also easy to earn referral bonuses from getting your friends to shop with Instacart.
Check out our full Instacart review for more information.
- Make your own schedule and work when you want
- Get paid within an hour through instant cash out
- Choose between just shopping or shopping and delivering
4. Deliver with Shipt
If you enjoy shopping at retailers like Target and CVS, becoming a Shipt shopper could be a great way to earn extra income.
How Shipt works
Shipt launched in 2014 and is now available in more than 5,000 cities. The platform allows users to order groceries and other necessities from local stores such as Target, Whole Foods, Walmart, and Costco. As a Shipt shopper, you would be responsible for fulfilling and delivering those orders. You’ll need an iPhone or Android (iOS 10 or newer or Android 5.1 or newer), a reliable vehicle, a valid driver’s license and insurance, and knowledge of produce selection to get started.
With Shipt, you can set your hours and be your own boss. Set your location and availability in the app, either the same day or up to a week in advance, and Shipt will send you offers based on your custom schedule. Then, you’ll visit the retailer, select the items, and pay for them with your Shipt card before making your delivery.
One unique aspect of Shipt is that you’ll be working with a community. You’ll be able to communicate with other personal shoppers, share tips, attend launch parties, and even snag a Shipt membership of your own.
How to get started with Shipt
- Apply online
- Complete an interview
- Get approved
- Download the app and start shopping
How much can you earn with Shipt?
Experienced shoppers make an average of $22 per hour, and some earn even more than that. Actual earnings may vary and will depend on your location. You’ll see an estimate with each delivery offer based on the time it will take to complete. You’ll get weekly payments on Fridays via direct deposit.
Check out our full Shipt review for more details.
- Earn money shopping and delivering groceries
- Be your own boss and set your own hours
- Apply in under 10 minutes
- Get paid weekly
5. Become a Postmates delivery driver
Postmates allows you to make deliveries by car, scooter, bike, or even on foot in some locations. As with DoorDash, you’ll pick up orders from stores and restaurants and make deliveries to customers. You keep 100% of your earnings for each delivery.
How Postmates works
Postmates was founded in 2011 and now serves 80% of U.S. households with more than 500,000 drivers in its fleet. Depending on your location, you may be offered delivery guarantees when you sign up, which ensures you’ll make a minimum amount for a certain number of deliveries. You must be 18 years old and have an insured vehicle, such as a car or scooter, to deliver for Postmates (unless you have a bike in some markets). You’ll also need to have a smartphone and be able to pass a background check.
As a driver for Postmates, you can make your own schedule, and Postmates will send you delivery jobs anytime you’re online with the Fleet app. Accept the order in the given timeframe and make your way to the restaurant or retailer. In some cases, the order will be ready to go, but for other merchants, you’ll need to place an order and pay for it with your automatically loaded Postmates Prepaid Card before making your delivery.
How to get started with Postmates
- Apply online
- Authorize a background check
- Review the Fleet agreement
- Upload a profile photo
- Set up direct deposit
- Activate your Postmates Card once you receive your Welcome Kit
- Wait for your background check to clear, then start making deliveries
How much can you earn with Postmates?
Postmates ads state that you can earn up to $25 per hour driving for Postmates, but actual earnings depend on your location, when you work, and what tips you receive. Postmates drivers get paid weekly via direct deposit, and instant deposit options are also available.
Read our full Postmates review for more information.
6. Become a TaskRabbit tasker
If doing various odd jobs sounds appealing, read on to find out how to earn as a TaskRabbit tasker. From yard work to grocery delivery to virtual assistance, there are myriad contactless ways to make money on the platform.
How TaskRabbit works
Founded in 2008, TaskRabbit is an online platform that connects users with all kinds of help, from moving to handyman services to furniture assembly. Since then, taskers have spent a combined 350,000 hours running errands for users and so much more.
As a tasker, you’ll have the opportunity to run your own independent business with support from the platform. You’ll be able to create your own schedule and set your rates. A one-time $25 registration fee is required, but after that, all fees are charged to clients instead of taskers.
Once you’re set up on the platform, TaskRabbit will notify you of potential jobs nearby, and you’ll be able to choose the ones you want to complete. Then, confirm the details with the client, complete the job, and submit your invoice to get paid.
How to get started with TaskRabbit
- Register online or on the Tasker app
- Set your skills, location, and availability
- TaskRabbit will verify your profile within about two business days
- Verify your identity
- Wait for an email with the next steps
How much can you earn with TaskRabbit?
TaskRabbit allows you to set your own rates, unlike other platforms on our list. If you’re just getting started and don’t have any reviews yet, you may need to set your rates on the low side to begin with. Research what other taskers in your area are charging to get an idea of a fair rate.
Read our full TaskRabbit review for more details.
We evaluated the most popular grocery and food delivery services to help you pick the best side hustle for you. We considered the following criteria:
- Geographic availability: We favored services that are available nationwide.
- Pay: We looked at potential and average pay for each company we evaluated and favored companies with a transparent pay structure and quick access to earnings.
- Flexible schedule: We only chose companies that allowed workers to choose their own schedules.
- Ease of onboarding: We chose companies that made it relatively easy to sign up and get started.
- Tips: We favored companies that allow workers to keep 100% of their tips.
- Perks: Some food service delivery companies offer special discounts, and we gave preference to these companies.
If you have some spare time or want more wiggle room in your budget, you can learn how to make money delivering groceries and food. When deciding what’s right for you, consider both the pros and cons of each opportunity.
The good news is, you need minimal or no experience to get paid to deliver groceries on the platforms we listed. And because you make your own hours, you can use this as a side gig or if you enjoy it, turn it into a full-time hustle.