If you need extra cash and are thinking of taking on a side gig, you’re part of a growing trend. According to Gallup’s “The Gig Economy and Alternative Work Arrangements” report, 36% of workers in the United States participate in the gig economy. It makes sense; with a side gig, you can boost your income, helping to increase your savings or pay down debt.
One of the best side hustles is completing odd jobs as a TaskRabbit Tasker. You get the flexibility of working when it suits your schedule, and you can make a decent hourly wage.
Keep reading to learn how TaskRabbit works, how to sign up, and how to make money with TaskRabbit.
What is TaskRabbit?
TaskRabbit is a platform that connects people who need tasks done with Taskers — individuals who complete those odd jobs as a side gig. Tasks can be anything from assembling furniture to cleaning homes, and Taskers are paid per completed project.
TaskRabbit was founded in 2008 by entrepreneur Leah Busque, and it was acquired by Ikea Group, the parent company behind the Ikea store, in 2017. As a result, TaskRabbit can actually offer a lot of specialized help with Ikea furniture assembly.
TaskRabbit operates in over 30 different states and a multitude of cities from New York City to Los Angeles. It also operates in seven other countries. It’s headquartered in San Francisco.
How does TaskRabbit work?
When you become a Tasker, you download the TaskRabbit app. The company will send you notifications about gigs in your area, and you can select which ones you want to complete. Once you do so, you can confirm details, such as your arrival time, with the client. When the project is complete, you’ll submit your invoice and get paid through the app.
As a TaskRabbit Tasker you are an independent contractor and you set your own rates. It's a great option for people who enjoy being a freelancer.
There are literally hundreds of tasks you can complete as a Tasker. If you don’t mind manual labor, you can earn money moving furniture, doing home repairs, or doing yard work. But you can also make money doing things like planning birthday parties, wrapping gifts, or even waiting in line for concert tickets.
Who can use TaskRabbit?
TaskRabbit could be a decent side gig, but it won’t replace your full-time salary. If your goal is to earn $10,000 a month (or more), TaskRabbit probably won’t be enough to get you there.
Instead, becoming a Tasker may be a good idea if you want to earn supplemental income during your spare time, such as during the evenings or as a weekend side job. This can help you pay down your credit card or student loan debt.
Unlike most part-time jobs, you can complete tasks whenever it’s convenient for you, and you can scale the work to meet your needs. For example, if you’re saving money for a new car, you can take on more tasks until you get the cash you need, then take a break.
To be a Tasker in the United States, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a valid Social Security number
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be able to work in one of TaskRabbit’s active cities
- Provide information, like a copy of your driver’s license, so you can undergo a background check
- Have an active checking account
- Have a valid credit card
- Own a smartphone
Be aware that signing up to become a Tasker requires a one-time, non-refundable $25 registration fee paid via credit card. But TaskRabbit will not charge you any fees beyond that or take a cut of your pay. The client will be charged a TaskRabbit service fee as well as a Trust and Support fee.
How much can you earn with TaskRabbit?
How much you can earn with TaskRabbit is dependent on your skillset, location, and the type of jobs available.
For example, cleaners in the Orlando, FL area charge $21 to $40 per hour, while painters can charge $104 to $200 per hour to paint one bedroom. In Las Vegas, you could wait in line at an event’s ticket booth for $18 per hour. Or you could organize someone’s closet and earn between $18 and $30 per hour.
Over time, that can really add up. If you worked 10 hours a week and charged $20 per hour, you’d earn $800 per month.
And other than the initial $25 registration fee, TaskRabbit does not charge you as a Tasker anything more. All fees are charged to the clients scheduling the services.
You can earn even more by providing excellent service. TaskRabbit allows clients to tip Taskers and you get to keep 100% of any tips you receive.
Once you complete a task, you submit an invoice through the TaskRabbit app. Taskers are paid through direct deposit using either Braintree or Stripe, depending on where you live. Clients can also provide reimbursement for any expenses you incurred right through the app as well.
Maximizing your earnings with TaskRabbit
To make as much money with TaskRabbit as possible, use these tips:
- Create a standout profile: Your profile is your opportunity to sell yourself. Post a clear profile picture, and use the profile to highlight your experience and work ethic. If you have a professional website, include a link to it, too. If you need help, check out the profiles of TaskRabbit’s Elite; they’re Taskers with positive ratings of 98% or higher who complete many tasks each month.
- Take on a range of tasks: Don’t be afraid to undertake many different types of tasks. By diversifying the gigs you’re willing to complete, you can increase your chances of earning money.
- Learn skills: Skilled positions typically pay more than other gigs. If possible, learn specialized skills, like painting, assembling furniture, or handyman services.
- Raise your rates: When you’re just starting out, you’ll likely have to charge a low hourly rate to land your first gigs. But once you’ve completed tasks and have gotten good reviews, you could make more by adjusting your pricing up.
How to get good reviews on TaskRabbit
Good customer reviews are essential to your success as a Tasker. To ensure you get the most positive reviews, follow these steps:
- Be professional: When you communicate with the client, whether it’s through the mobile app or in person, be professional. Be friendly and polite, and when you show up at their home, dress neatly.
- Show up on time: If possible, try to be a few minutes early so you can start work right on time. Being punctual is a big factor in your reviews.
- Do the best work possible: Even though it’s a side gig, treat each task like it’s an assignment at your full-time job. Do the best work you can do to meet or exceed your client’s expectations.
How to stay safe as a Tasker
TaskRabbit has been around for a while, but you should still exercise caution as a Tasker. The job means going into strangers’ homes, so it’s important to be careful.
Let a friend or relative know where you’re going beforehand, and text them when you arrive and leave so they know you’re safe. If at any point you feel uncomfortable at a client’s location, leave immediately and contact TaskRabbit’s Tasker Support team.
TaskRabbit offers a Happiness Pledge for clients, which gives them insurance in case of property damage, bodily injury, or theft. However, it may be a good idea to get your own personal insurance to ensure you’re covered in case of an emergency.
FAQs about TaskRabbit
Is TaskRabbit available in my area?
TaskRabbit is available in dozens of markets in the United States and seven other countries. To find out if TaskRabbit operates in your area, view the company’s active cities.
How long does it take to get approved for TaskRabbit?
The TaskRabbit application takes just a few minutes to complete. However, prospective Taskers do have to undergo a background check, and applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Depending on where you live, it could several days for the check to be completed and even longer to be approved. Once finished, TaskRabbit will notify you if you’ve been approved or not.
Is TaskRabbit a secure platform?
TaskRabbit is a secure platform, but it does collect personal information like your name, address, email address, and bank account. The company retains your information for as long as you’re a user.
Your account is password protected. TaskRabbit also takes precautions to ensure that your information is secure by backing up data in separate drives and using public key access encryption and firewalls.
Does TaskRabbit allow tipping?
TaskRabbit does allow clients to tip their Taskers. After you’ve completed a task and sent the customer an invoice, they have the option of leaving you a tip for 24 hours after receiving the invoice. They can tip up to 30% of the project’s total. For example, if a project cost $80, they could add a tip as large as $24. Taskers get to keep 100% of tips received.
How to sign up for TaskRabbit
To sign up for TaskRabbit, follow these steps:
- Complete the registration: Fill out the registration form at taskrabbit.com. It will ask for your name, email address, ZIP code, and phone number and will prompt you to create a password.
- Complete the information session: You’ll receive an email with a link. Click on it to complete the New Tasker Info Session.
- Download the app: Download the Tasker app to your smartphone.
- Set your work area: Choose your work area and set your availability for tasks.
- Complete the background check: Check your email for information on how to complete both your criminal and identity check.
Other side hustles to consider
While TaskRabbit could be a solution for how to make money, it’s not for everyone. There are hundreds of other side gigs you could do.
Platforms like HomeAdvisor Pro let you set up a profile and connect with homeowners who need help with house projects. Whether you're an expert house cleaner, landscaper, roofer, or woodworker, you can put your skills to good use and earn some extra money on the weekends.
For more info, read our HomeAdvisor Pro review.
Delivering food and groceries can be a lucrative weekend side hustle if you've got a few free hours, and it's simple to get started. While each delivery service works slightly differently, in many cases, you can just sign up as a delivery driver and start fulfilling orders.
Fore more details, go to our DoorDash review.
And if you’re still looking for more ways to make extra money, check out our best side hustles.