With so many travel credit cards available, it’s a challenge to determine a suitable card. But if you’re a loyal Hyatt customer, The World of Hyatt Credit Card may be the best hotel credit card to meet your financial and travel needs.
If you’re considering the World of Hyatt Credit Card, here’s what you need to know about its key features and lucrative benefits.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card: Overview
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is a great choice for those who stay at Hyatt properties even a few times a year. With a $95 annual fee, you can earn up to 9X points on stays at Hyatt hotels (4 bonus points plus 5 base points as a World of Hyatt member); 2X points on restaurants, airline tickets purchased directly from the airlines, local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships; and 1X points on all other purchases. The bonus points you earn on Hyatt purchases is often more than you’ll earn with premium travel credit cards, including the Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
As a World of Hyatt member you can use your card to redeem free nights and upgrades with more than a dozen Hyatt brands. Additionally, Hyatt offers its members the option to redeem points for dining, spa treatments, or other experiences.
However, even with all of the redemption options available, this card is probably best for a loyal Hyatt traveler. If find yourself staying at Hyatt properties on a regular basis, the World of Hyatt credit card could help you make your dollars go further.
5 lucrative World of Hyatt Credit Card benefits
From hitting the gym with friends to staying at a Hyatt resort, there are plenty of ways to maximize your points. Here are a few lucrative benefits the World of Hyatt Credit Card offers its cardholders.
1. Up to two free nights every year
On the anniversary of your card membership, you’ll receive a free night at a Category 1-4 Hyatt property. This free night award is good for one night in an available standard room within 12 months from issuance at a Hyatt hotel or resort.
Redemptions for standard rooms start at 5,000 points per night at Category 1 hotels and 15,000 points per night at Category 4 hotels. All reservations are subject to availability with the understanding that Hyatt can change property categories at any time.
Additionally, as the primary cardmember, spend at least $15,000 in purchases during your anniversary year and you can receive a second free night at a standard Category 1-4 Hyatt property.
Keep in mind, you can’t use your free nights at Miraval, Hyatt Zilara, or Hyatt Ziva resorts.
2. Sign-up and referral bonuses
New World of Hyatt cardholders have the opportunity to get a valuable sign-up bonus. Earn up to 60,000 bonus points: 30,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening, plus up to 30,000 more bonus points by earning 2 points total per $1 spent in the first 6 months from account opening on purchases that normally earn 1 bonus point, on up to $15,000 spent. That’s enough for up to 10 nights at a Hyatt property.
If you’re already a cardholder and refer friends to get the card, you can earn up to an extra 25,000 bonus points. You’ll receive 5,000 bonus points for each friend you refer who is approved.
3. Automatic Discoverist status
As a primary cardholder, you’ll receive Discoverist status in the World of Hyatt program as long as your World of Hyatt Credit Card is open and not in default.
As a Discoverist, you’ll enjoy premium internet and a bottle of water at each participating Hyatt property, the ability to earn 10% bonus points on eligible purchases, and receive Milestone Rewards that give you extra rewards for qualifying activities.
4. High earnings rate on Hyatt purchases
As a World of Hyatt cardmember, you’ll earn four bonus points and five base points for every dollar you spend with Hyatt, which can be a lucrative deal if you’re a frequent Hyatt customer.
Both bonus and base points can be redeemed for Hyatt rewards, including free nights, upgrades, spa treatments, fitness classes, dining, and more. However, only base points count toward helping you qualify for the next membership tier.
5. Extra credits to help you achieve a higher status
While you get automatic Discoverist status with the World of Hyatt Credit Card, you also get the opportunity to move up to higher membership tiers faster.
With the card, you get five qualifying night credits annually — meaning you’ll need five fewer stays at a Hyatt hotel to move up to Explorist status, the next-highest membership tier. Additionally, for every $5,000 you spend on the card, you get another two qualifying night credits.
This means you could move up to the next membership tier more quickly. If you spend enough on the card, you could even reach Explorist status (or higher) without ever staying in a Hyatt hotel.
Additional Hyatt credit card benefits
In addition to all of these Hyatt credit card benefits and rewards, the World of Hyatt offers a host of built-in protections for everyday travelers.
- No foreign transaction fees: If you’re traveling abroad and want to avoid carrying around a large amount of cash, the World of Hyatt Credit Card offers is one of the best credit cards with no foreign transaction fees.
- Baggage delay insurance: If your baggage is delayed for more than six hours, you can receive up to $100 a day (up to five days) for necessities such as toiletries and clothing.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: Losing your bags is a nightmare. The World of Hyatt lost luggage reimbursement covers up to $3,000 of the damages per passenger.
- Trip cancellation insurance and delay reimbursement: If sickness, severe weather, or other covered situations occur before your trip, cardmembers can receive up to a $5,000 reimbursement for your non-refundable travel expenses. And if your trip is delayed more than 12 hours by your carrier, unreimbursed expenses are covered up to $500 per ticket. These expenses include lodging and meals.
- Auto rental collision damage: Instead of accepting collision insurance from an auto rental company, use your World of Hyatt Credit Card to pay for the entire bill. Collision coverage offered by the card provides protection for theft and collision damages for most cars in the U.S. and abroad. This is secondary coverage to your personal insurance.
- Travel accident insurance: When you use your World of Hyatt Credit Card to pay for air, bus, train, or cruise transportation expenses, you’re eligible for accident insurance. You’ll be covered up to $500,000 in the case of accidental death or dismemberment.
While the World of Hyatt Credit Card may have impressive rewards and benefits, it’s not suitable for all travelers. If you’re a regular traveler who isn’t loyal to one brand, you may want to consider another of the best travel credit card options, such as the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is also worth considering if you intend to do a fair amount of traveling. Like the Venture Rewards card, rewards are easy to earn and it offers a competitive welcome bonus.
Big bonus points on Hyatt stays
The World of Hyatt Credit Card
Earn up to 60,000 bonus points: 30,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening, plus up to 30,000 more bonus points by earning 2 points total per $1 spent in the first 6 months from account opening on purchases that normally earn 1 bonus point, on up to $15,000 spent
up to 9X points on stays at Hyatt hotels (4 bonus points plus 5 base points as a World of Hyatt member); 2X points on restaurants, airline tickets purchased directly from the airlines, local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships; and 1X points on all other purchases