A new no-fee credit card was recently added to the Marriott co-branded card collection: The Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card. While it offers enough rewards that new travelers might love, it doesn’t have the firepower of some other travel rewards credit cards.
Is the generous welcome offer enough incentive for you to add this new card to your wallet? Find out in this Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card review — learn the pros and cons of Marriott’s latest card addition and find out who it’s best suited for.
A Great Choice for New Travelers
- 30,000 point sign-up bonus offer
- 3X points at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy
- 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fee
- No free night for cardmember anniversary
Who should get this card?
People just starting to explore travel rewards may like the Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card. While it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that other Bonvoy branded cards offer, there’s no annual fee to worry about. This makes the Marriott Bonvoy Bold one of the best hotel credit cards for someone that wants an entry-level card.
Travelers who already have other Bonvoy-branded cards could possibly get this credit card, depending on eligibility, to supplement points earned from other Bonvoy cards without adding another annual fee. Loyal Marriott travelers could also benefit from the Bonvoy Bold card because of the points-earning potential it offers through stays at most Marriott properties around the world.
|Intro Bonus||Earn 30,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months|
|Recommended Credit Score||Excellent, Good|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
Top card benefits
- Generous welcome offer: Earn 30,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months.
- Multiple ways to earn points: You’ll earn 3X Bonvoy points at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy; 2X Bonvoy points on eligible travel purchases; 1X points per $1 on everything else.
- Silver Elite status: You’ll receive 15 Elite Night Credits annually, which qualifies you for Marriott Silver Elite status.
- No foreign transaction fees: Use your card to make purchases outside the U.S. as much as you like without worrying about foreign transaction fees.
- No expiration date: As long as you use your Marriott Bonvoy Bold card once every 24 months, your points won’t expire.
- Lost luggage & trip delay reimbursement: You and your immediate family are covered up to $3,000 per passenger for checked or carry-on bags damaged or lost by the carrier. Plus, you’ll get reimbursed for travel expenses up to $500 per ticket if your trip is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay
Earning & redeeming
Best ways to earn
Regular stays at Marriott hotels are the best way to earn points with the Bonvoy Bold card, since you earn three points for every dollar spent at participating Marriott properties. With nearly 7,000 qualifying hotels, you could earn points traveling almost anywhere in the world.
Along with your Marriott stays, using the Bonvoy Bold card for other travel expenses will net you two points per dollar spent. All other purchases will earn you one point per dollar. This includes categories like gas stations, restaurants, and grocery stores.
|Purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels||3X|
|Other travel purchases||2X|
Maximizing your redemptions
Your best option for maximizing redemptions using points is to stay at Marriott properties when traveling. You can also combine points with cash when booking hotel stays to stretch your points.
Another option for cardholders is to transfer your points to one of Marriott’s 40-plus airline partners. For every 60,000 points transferred, Marriott will add an extra 5,000 miles. Most airline programs transfer from points to miles at a 3:1 ratio. For example, 30,000 Bonvoy points would transfer to 10,000 United Airlines miles.
Points earned with the Marriott Bonvoy Bold card can be used to book air travel and car rentals through the Marriott travel portal. Other possible redemptions include gift cards and exclusive experiences, like throwing out the first pitch at a Chicago Cubs game or a VIP stay at the Gaylord Opryland (as of July 2019).
Who is eligible for the Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card?
Like most Marriott-branded cards, there are limits on who can qualify for this card. Those who aren’t eligible include current cardholders of the Marriott Bonvoy Premier Credit Card and Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card. You’re also ineligible if you previously held the Marriott Bonvoy Premier, Bonvoy Boundless, or Bonvoy Bold and received a cardmember bonus from one or more of these cards in the last 24 months.
If you aren’t disqualified based on the criteria above, there’s a chance you could qualify for the Marriott Bonvoy Bold card but not the new cardmember bonus. You’re ineligible for this bonus if you:
- Are a current cardmember — or were a previous cardmember within the last 30 days — of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card
- Are a current or previous cardmember of either the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card and received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus in the last 24 months
- Applied and were approved for the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card within the last 90 days
Does the Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card have a foreign transaction fee?
No, there are no foreign transaction fees with the Marriott Bonvoy Bold card.
Does the Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card have an annual fee?
No, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold doesn’t have an annual fee.
Does the Chase 5/24 rule apply to the Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card?
The Marriott Bonvoy Bold card is known to be subject to Chase’s 5/24 rule. Because of this, you’ll have to decide whether this card is worth one of your five slots. There are other Chase credit cards that may provide better value.
Other cards to consider
If you’re loyal to Marriott hotels, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card may be a better option. While it has a $95 annual fee, new cardholders can also earn 5 free nights after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months. Boundless cardmembers earn 6X points at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy and 2X points per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases. Also, this card earns you a free hotel night annually, valued up to 35,000 points.
A more versatile rewards card for travelers is the Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card. It comes with a considerable sign-up bonus that’s worth $750 through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Program. You could book travel directly through the program for maximum value or transfer points to one of Chase’s many travel partners.
A Great Choice for New Travelers
Earn 30,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months
See how these cards compare:
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
- Earn 5 free nights
- 6X points at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy
- One free night each year
- No foreign transaction fee
Chase Sapphire Preferred
- 80,000 point sign-up bonus
- 2X points on eligible dining and travel purchases
- 25% more value when redeeming rewards for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Premium travel protection benefits