If you have an incorrect or outdated negative record on your credit report, it could be hurting your credit. Enlisting the help of a credit repair company can help you resolve the issue.
Credit repair companies like Sky Blue Credit comb your credit reports to identify potentially erroneous records that it can dispute on your behalf. Removing negative records has the potential to improve your score, which can help you get approved for the perfect apartment or better loan products when you want to borrow money.
Based in Boca Raton, Florida, Sky Blue Credit has a straightforward fee structure and a condition-free, 90-day money-back guarantee. If you’ve been considering credit repair services, this Sky Blue Credit Repair review will explain what the company has to offer.
Sky Blue Credit Repair basics
|Plan name||Services included||Price (as of July 23, 2020)|
|Sky Blue Credit Repair Services||
What is Sky Blue Credit Repair?
Sky Blue Credit has offered credit restoration since 1989. The company helps consumers identify incorrect, outdated, and duplicate records in their credit history and then handles the dispute process from start to finish.
Instead of having several credit repair packages at different price points, Sky Blue Credit offers one service package that includes report analysis, dispute letters, and credit-building guidance. The company will dispute five items each with Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion for you every 35 days. Depending on your situation, Sky Blue Credit may also send debt validation letters, goodwill letters, and cease-and-desist letters on your behalf.
Sky Blue Credit doesn’t specify how long the credit repair process will take, and the monthly subscription to the service is ongoing. If you do decide to sign up, you can keep tabs on your credit reports and cancel (or pause service) when you feel it’s no longer benefiting you.
How Sky Blue Credit Repair works
Sky Blue Credit has a four-part service that includes report analysis, dispute assistance, credit score assistance, and credit-rebuilding assistance. Here’s what you can expect during the process:
- Pro analysis: Sky Blue Credit will do a line-by-line review of your credit report to find “areas of opportunity.” This may include records that are not in your name or duplicate accounts being updated by the original creditor and a debt collections agency.
- Dispute assistance: The company will send dispute letters and re-dispute letters to the credit bureaus reporting information in question. The service includes up to 15 disputes (five disputes per bureau) every 35 days.
- Score assistance: Sky Blue Credit will make other suggestions on how to improve your score besides disputing records. If you’re drowning in debt, for example, Sky Blue Credit may suggest ways to pay off or redistribute your debt to improve your credit score.
- Credit-building assistance: If the company determines that you need to open new accounts to build credit, it will recommend products, such as secured credit cards, that can help.
Sky Blue Credit offers the following additional services, as needed, at no extra charge:
- Debt validation letters: Debt validation letters requesting that creditors prove debts belong to you before you pay them.
- Goodwill letters: Letters requesting removal of negative records from your report as a courtesy. According to Sky Blue Credit, a goodwill letter typically works best if you missed a payment more than six months ago and since then you’ve had a perfect payment history.
- Cease-and-desist letters: Letters demanding that debt collectors stop contacting you. This may be an option if someone is trying to collect a debt that’s past the statute of limitations on debt in your state.
- Free consultations: If you're working on how to manage your money and you need advice on creating a debt settlement strategy or how to handle debt in collections, Sky Blue Credit may be able to help.
What we like about Sky Blue Credit
- Ninety-day money-back guarantee: Sky Blue offers a condition-free guarantee. If you are not satisfied in the first 90 days, tell them why, and they will refund your money. Unlike with other credit repair companies, the Sky Blue 90-day guarantee is not voided by results. Most industry guarantees are voided by the first deletion of an erroneous item from your credit report.
- Option to pause and resume service: If you want to take a break from using Sky Blue Credit, you can pause membership in the online account portal instead of canceling it altogether. The online portal also comes with a progress chart that shows how many records have been corrected and provides tips for how to improve your credit score.
- Couples discount: You don’t have to pay full price if you sign up as a couple; instead, the second person gets half off the setup fee and monthly fee. In total, this works out to $119 for the first review fee and $119 for each month afterward. You don’t need to be a married couple either; you just need to be two people paying together.
- Transparent pricing: Sky Blue Credit is straightforward in how much it charges and when you pay. The first review fee is charged within six days of signing up, and the first monthly fee is charged a month later.
- Additional services: Although some credit repair companies charge a fee for extra services, Sky Blue offers valuable services like free consultations and goodwill letters at no additional cost. Unlike other companies, Sky Blue also does not charge extra for credit reports or monitoring.
What Sky Blue Credit could improve
- The signup process: You have to pull your own credit reports for Sky Blue Credit to review. The company gives you directions on how to do this for free during the onboarding process. Of course, you could also do this on your own without the company’s assistance. You can get one free credit report every 12 months from each credit bureau at AnnualCreditReport.com. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you can also sign up for free weekly monitoring at AnnualCreditReport.com until April 2021.
What Sky Blue Credit customers are saying
Sky Blue Credit gets nearly five stars from customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau website. Reviewers have left several positive comments about the company’s professionalism and success in having records removed from their credit reports.
Customers have filed 10 complaints with the BBB in the past three years. Eight BBB complaints are about the product or service. One commenter said they didn't see a FICO score improvement while using the company, and others have feedback about billing. The company responds to BBB complaints, and many customers appear to be satisfied with the outcome. Sky Blue Credit also has one complaint in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau database.
Keep in mind that a credit repair company can’t guarantee a score increase or promise that it will be successful in erasing a record. If you decide to work with Sky Blue Credit and you are later unsatisfied, you can talk to them about their 90-day money-back guarantee.
Sky Blue Credit customer service
Sky Blue Credit is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 a.m. EST. You can call 800-790-0445 to contact a company representative. Or you can use the message form on the company website and someone will follow up with you via email or phone.
FAQs about Sky Blue Credit
Is Sky Blue Credit legit?
Sky Credit Repair is not accredited by the BBB, but it is a legitimate company that’s been registered as a credit repair agency in Florida since 1989.
How much does Sky Blue Credit cost?
If you sign up as an individual, Sky Blue Credit costs $79 for the initial review and $79 per month thereafter. If you sign up as a couple and pay together, you get a couple’s discount. The fee is $119 for the initial review and $119 per month.
The initial fee is charged within six days of signing up for the service, and the monthly fee is charged a month afterward. You can cancel at any time, or you can take a break from the service by pressing the pause button in the online membership portal.
Does Sky Blue Credit have a money-back guarantee?
Yes. You can cancel your account and get a refund within the first 90 days of service. The refund is “condition-free,” so you can get your money back with no strings attached.
What's the best credit repair company?
The best credit repair company depends on your needs and where you’re looking for company reviews. According to FinanceBuzz, the best credit repair companies are Credit Saint because it has an A rating with the BBB and free score monitoring; Ovation Credit Repair because its premium plan includes credit report monitoring; and The Credit People because of the low initial fee ($19 to get started). Sky Blue Credit comes in fourth on our best-of list because of its flexible money-back guarantee.
The dispute service that Sky Blue Credit offers is something you can do on your own. Thanks to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, anyone has a right to dispute credit report errors with each credit reporting agency, and information that can’t be verified must be removed.
With that said, Sky Blue Credit has been reviewing reports and filing disputes over the past 30 years, so the company may be able to find areas of opportunity you might miss. There’s also the matter of convenience. Sometimes you just want to cross something off of your to-do list, and Sky Blue Credit could remove the daunting task of credit restoration from your plate. Plus, the score and credit building assistance may highlight other ways to clean up your report and improve your credit score.
Ultimately, the money-back guarantee is where this service shines; it makes signing up risk-free. You can join to see what the company has to offer and get a refund within the first 90 days if it’s not a good fit. If you’re not sure whether credit repair is right for you, these credit repair facts can help you weigh the pros and cons.
Disclaimer: All rates and fees are accurate as of July 29, 2020.