You may not realize it, but there are a lot of times in life when your credit matters. If your credit score is less-than-stellar, you may struggle to qualify for home loans, car loans, and even credit cards.
According to Experian, 33% of Americans fall into the credit scores ranges of very poor to fair range, which means their scores are between 300 and 669. If your credit is in that range, then taking steps to improve your credit score can help you qualify for new lines of credit and better interest rates.
The Credit People is a credit repair service that claims it can boost your score by as much as 187 points. In fact, the company reported that 78% of its customers were approved for car loans after using its services.
If you’re thinking about signing up for The Credit People’s credit repair services, here’s what you need to know first.
- The Credit People plan basics
- An overview of The Credit People
- What credit repair services does The Credit People offer?
- What we like about The Credit People
- What The Credit People could improve
- What The Credit People customers are saying
- The Credit People customer service
- FAQs about The Credit People
- Bottom line
The Credit People plan basics
|Plan name||Services included||Price (as of July 10, 2020)|
|Monthly Plan||Free credit reports and scores
|$19 for the first month, then $79 per month|
|Flat-rate Plan||Free credit reports and scores
|$419 for six months|
An overview of The Credit People
The Credit People is a credit repair company. It was founded in 2001 and is based in Utah. The company works to help people fix their credit issues and improve their credit scores. Since its inception, the company has reportedly helped more than 100,000 people with their credit.
The Credit People’s customers are people who need to boost their credit scores to qualify for forms of credit, such as home loans, auto loans, or student loan refinancing. The company claims it can deliver results in fewer than 60 days after you sign up for their services. And they report that customers can expect their scores to increase by 53 to 187 points.
What credit repair services does The Credit People offer?
The Fair Credit Reporting Act provides protections that allow you as an individual to dispute items on your credit report that are inaccurate, incomplete, unverifiable, or misleading. You can dispute these items directly with the credit bureaus. Any items that cannot be verified must be deleted.
Although you can handle the dispute process on your own, it can be time-consuming and confusing. That’s where credit repair companies come into the picture. Instead of filing the disputes yourself, you can hire a professional service like The Credit People and the company will manage the dispute process for you.
The Credit People works to remove the following types of items from your credit report:
- Late payments
- Closed accounts
- Negative settlements
When you sign up for credit repair services with The Credit People, you can choose between a monthly plan and a flat rate membership. Here are the service levels offered by The Credit People:
- Monthly plan: $19 for the first month; $79 per month thereafter
- Flat-rate membership: $419 for six months
Once you sign up, you’ll receive a welcome email and phone call from The Credit People. You’ll also get access to an online account to track your progress and view your credit reports from the three major credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. As a customer, you’ll be able to access your credit reports for free at any time.
The Credit People will immediately begin working on improving your credit for you. Its services include:
- Disputing questionable accounts: The Credit People will review your credit reports and dispute any questionable accounts, such as accounts that may not belong to you or accounts that may have been fraudulently opened under your name.
- Removing late payments: The company will negotiate with your creditors to remove late payments from your credit reports.
- Debt validation: The Credit People will work on debt validation with your creditors to ensure that any outstanding debt listed on your credit report is valid and actually belongs to you.
- Creditor communications: The Credit People will handle all creditor communications, helping you save time.
What we like about The Credit People
- Quick results: Although every situation is unique, the majority of customers see results within 45 to 60 days.
- Spousal discount: If your spouse signs up for The Credit People after you sign up, you’ll receive $20 off each of your first monthly payments. The discount is available only for monthly payment plans. If you’re on the flat rate membership plan, you’re not eligible for the discount.
- Satisfaction guarantee: The Credit People offers a satisfaction guarantee. If you’re on a monthly plan, you can cancel at any time, and you won’t be charged for that month’s fee. The company will also refund you for your previous month’s payment.
What The Credit People could improve
- No identity monitoring or account alerts: To maintain good credit, identity and credit monitoring services are useful. Unfortunately, The Credit People doesn’t offer account monitoring or account alerts, so you’d have to use another service for assistance in protecting yourself from identity theft.
- Complex credit issues may be too difficult: The Credit People is useful for minor credit issues. If you have a history of more complex credit problems, such as foreclosures, repossessions, or bankruptcies, the company may not be as effective. Although the company stresses that it will take every measure possible to attempt to have these issues removed from your credit report, the percentage of successful removals is relatively low in these areas.
What The Credit People customers are saying
The Credit People, backed by Duo Studios Incorporated, is a small company. As such, the Credit People is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, and is not included in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau database of complaints.
In reviews left with the BBB by customers, some users complained they didn’t see results after several months with the service, or were dissatisfied with company responsiveness to questions and issues. With such a small number of complaints, it’s hard to say for sure what the customer experience is like, and the company did post responses with its explanation of each situation.
The Credit People customer service
The Credit People’s customer service is available by phone at 866-382-3410. You can also email any questions to questions@TheCreditPeople.com.
FAQs about The Credit People
Is The Credit People legit?
The Credit People is a legitimate company that has been in operation since 2001. Many people have used the service successfully to improve their credit scores.
Who is The Credit People good for?
If you are planning on applying for a form of credit, such as a mortgage or car loan, and need to improve your credit score to increase your chances of qualifying or getting a low interest rate, using The Credit People can make sense. They can help you dispute minor credit issues and improve your credit score in a matter of months. Although you could do most of these things yourself, a company such as The Credit People could save you time.
How do I cancel The Credit People?
If you’d like to cancel your service, you can call The Credit People directly at 866-382-3410. With the monthly membership, you can cancel at any time and you won’t be charged for that month of service. You’re also covered by The Credit People’s satisfaction guarantee.
If you need to improve your credit but are short on time, The Credit People can dispute credit issues for you and work directly with your creditors. You can opt to pay a monthly fee and cancel at any time, and The Credit People is backed by a satisfaction guarantee.
However, other credit repair services may be more robust, offering extra features such as identity protection and credit report alerts. If you’re looking for a more comprehensive service or simply comparing what’s available in the world of credit repair, check out our picks for the best credit repair companies.
Disclaimer: All rates and fees are accurate as of July 10, 2020.