The value of Citi ThankYou Points depends on how you use them. We think the average value falls between 1 and 1.5 cents per point, meaning that 10,000 points range in value from $100 to $150. However, the actual value you receive depends on the redemption option you use.
Citi ThankYou Points can be used for a wide variety of redemptions, including cash back, travel, and gift cards. But we think that transferring your points to travel partners, such as Choice Hotels and Singapore Airlines, can open up the best opportunities for maximizing your redemption value. In some cases, you can get over 2 cents per point.
Let’s see how much Citi ThankYou Points are worth and explore some of the best ways to use them.
- Key takeaways
- Are Citi ThankYou Points worth it?
- How much are Citi ThankYou Points worth?
- What determines the value of Citi ThankYou Points
- How to calculate the value of Citi ThankYou Points
- Cards we recommend to earn Citi ThankYou Points
- How to maximize the redemption value of Citi ThankYou Points
- FAQs about Citi ThankYou Points
- Bottom line: Citi ThankYou Points value
- Citi has over a dozen transfer partners.
- Transfer partners are typically the best way to maximize your ThankYou Points redemption value.
- Cash back and shopping may be low-value redemption options for ThankYou Points.
- You may qualify for better transfer partner rates if you have the Citi Prestige® Card (no longer accepting applications) or Citi Premier® Card.
- Citi ThankYou Points can be combined among multiple Citi credit cards.
Are Citi ThankYou Points worth it?
|Our verdict: We think Citi ThankYou Points are worth it because of their easy travel redemptions through the ThankYou travel portal or by transferring points to a Citi travel partner. However, non-travel-related redemptions may not make as much sense since the value of Citi ThankYou Points tends to be lower with them.|
How much are Citi ThankYou Points worth?
The value of Citi ThankYou Points depends on how you use them. In general, the best ThankYou Points redemptions can range from 1 to 1.5 cents per point or more. These are often travel-related redemptions.
Citi ThankYou Points are the currency connected with the Citi ThankYou Rewards program from Citi. You can primarily earn ThankYou Points by making purchases with various Citi credit cards.
To learn more about Citi’s rewards currency, check out our guide to Citi ThankYou Points.
What determines the value of Citi ThankYou Points
For the most part, the only factor that determines the value of your ThankYou Points is how you choose to redeem them.
These are the available redemption options:
In general, the best way to maximize your redemption value is through travel partners. Every other redemption value gives a value of 1 cent per point or less.
Note that this doesn’t mean every transfer to a travel partner will result in a redemption value greater than 1 cent per point. But you can find a variety of methods to get excellent value through transfer partners.
The Citi transfer partners include:
Most Citi transfer partners provide transfer ratios of 1:1, which means you transfer 1 ThankYou Point and receive 1 point or mile of the applicable loyalty program. For example, transfer 1,000 ThankYou Points, and you can receive 1,000 KrisFlyer miles with Singapore Airlines.
In some cases, the transfer ratio may be more or less generous. You can get up to 2 Choice Privileges points by only redeeming 1 ThankYou Point. But you might get less than a 1:1 ratio with JetBlue TrueBlue, depending on your Citi card(s).
How to calculate the value of Citi ThankYou Points
You can calculate the value of Citi ThankYou Points by dividing the cash value of your redemption by the number of ThankYou Points you need to use.
TipUse this equation to calculate the value of your points: (Dollar value) / (number of points) = (redemption value in dollar amount).
For example, a $500 flight through the ThankYou travel portal might cost 50,000 points. So $500 / 50,000 = $0.01. That means your rewards are worth 1 cent per point in this specific case.
But let’s say you want to make an online purchase using your points. Your purchase is valued at $100 but costs 12,500 points. By calculating $100 / 12,500, you’d get $0.008. This means your rewards are worth 0.8 cents per point in this situation, which is slightly less than the first example.
Cards we recommend to earn Citi ThankYou Points
Not all Citi credit cards earn ThankYou Points. If you want to earn Citi ThankYou Points, consider these cards:
- Citi Double Cash® Card: Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases; plus, for a limited time, earn 5% total cash back on hotel, car rentals and attractions booked on the Citi Travel℠ portal through 12/31/24.
- Citi Premier® Card: Earn 3X points at restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, air travel and hotels; and 1X points on all other purchases.
- Citi Custom Cash® Card: Earn 5% cash back in your top eligible spending category each billing cycle (up to the first $500 spent, then 1% cash back), plus unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Citi Rewards+® Card: Earn 2X points at supermarkets and gas stations (on the first $6,000 in purchases per year, then 1X points thereafter), and 1X points on all other purchases.
- AT&T Points Plus℠ Card from Citi: Earn 3X points at gas stations, 2X points at grocery stores (including grocery delivery services), and 1X points on all other purchases.
How to maximize the redemption value of Citi ThankYou Points
There are a couple of core strategies for getting the most out of your Citi ThankYou Points.
Avoid low-value redemption options
We consider anything under a value of 1 cent per point to be a low-value redemption option. This is because the generally accepted starting point for most credit card rewards, not just Citi ThankYou Points, is 1 cent per point. So going below that base mark may mean losing out on potential rewards value.
Citi ThankYou Points redemptions that may go lower than 1 cent per point include:
- Statement credits or other types of cash back
- Online purchases or paying with points
Look for high-value redemption options
You can easily redeem your Citi ThankYou Points for at least 1 cent per point for gift cards or through the ThankYou travel portal (ThankYou.com). But these two options won’t necessarily be your best options if you want to maximize your redemption value.
If you can find redemptions that work, your best option for maximizing value is to transfer points to partners and book travel, such as flights and hotel stays, directly with them.
For example, you might be able to transfer 97,000 ThankYou Points to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer to book a one-way first class flight from New York (JFK) to Frankfurt (FRA).
This flight goes for $7,104.20. If we calculate the redemption value ($7,104.20 / 97,000 = $0.073239), we get about 7.3 cents per point, which is way above the base 1 cent per point.
Getting high value for premium air travel, such as first and business class flights, is common with airline transfer partners, but what about hotel partners?
Let’s take a look at Choice Hotels. This is an interesting Citi partner because you can receive 2 Choice Privileges points for every 1 Citi ThankYou Point you transfer if you have a Citi Prestige (no longer available for applications) or Citi Premier Card.
Here’s a room at the Clarion Hotel Copenhagen Airport with a cash price of $413 or an award price of 20,000 points.
If you calculate $413 / 20,000 = $0.02065, that’s about 2 cents per point, which is excellent. But remember that you actually only need to transfer over 10,000 Citi points as a perk of having the Citi Premier.
So $413 / 10,000 = $0.0413, or 4.1 cents per point, providing amazing value for your ThankYou Points.
FAQs about Citi ThankYou Points
How do I convert Citi ThankYou Points to cash?
You can redeem Citi ThankYou Points for cash in three ways:
- Receiving a statement credit
- Getting a direct deposit
- Obtaining a check by mail
You can find these redemption options by logging into your Citi online account if you have an applicable Citi rewards credit card. From there, you can indicate the amount of cash you’d like to receive, and the portal will calculate the number of points you’ll need to use.
Do Citi ThankYou Points expire?
The expiration of your Citi ThankYou Points depends on the terms and conditions of your Citi credit card. Your points wouldn’t typically expire if your account is open and in good standing. But your points could expire in certain situations:
- In 90 days if your account is closed by Citi
- In 90 days if you share points with another ThankYou Member
- In about three years if issued directly by the ThankYou Rewards program
Note that you can check if you have any points expiring in your online account through “My Points Summary.”
Where can I shop with Citi ThankYou Points?
Citi partners with a variety of merchants and retailers where you can use your ThankYou Points. This includes:
Keep in mind that you generally get lower than a 1 cent per point value from shopping redemptions with Citi ThankYou Points. Using these points for travel-related redemptions is typically better if you want more value.
Bottom line: Citi ThankYou Points value
Citi ThankYou Points are generally worth 1 to 1.5 cents per point but could have more or less value depending on the redemption. Overall, travel-related redemptions tend to provide the best value for ThankYou Points.
Citi ThankYou Rewards is an excellent program for Citi cardholders, but there are various credit card rewards programs out there. You might find that Chase, American Express, or Capital One credit cards provide better redemption options for you because of their specific travel portals and transfer partners.
Be sure to compare credit cards and card offers to find which travel rewards program is the best fit for you.
Lucrative, Flat-Rate Cash Rewards
FinanceBuzz writers and editors score cards based on a number of objective features as well as our expert editorial assessment. Our partners do not influence how we rate products.
$200 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 in purchases in the first 3 months
Earn 2% cash rewards on purchases