Arizona’s population is growing quickly, with some cities like Maricopa seeing a 6.2% increase between 2021 and 2022. Thankfully, car insurance prices are still reasonably affordable in the Grand Canyon State, where full coverage costs an average of $1,414 per year. However, some drivers will pay more than that, depending on their age, location, and driving record, among other factors.
- Key takeaways
- Best car insurance companies in Arizona
- USAA: Best for those with poor credit
- State Farm: Most affordable coverage
- American Family: Best for ease of use
- GEICO: Best for new drivers
- Allstate: Best for multi-driver discounts
- Arizona auto insurance requirements
- How to choose a car insurance provider in Arizona
- How much does car insurance cost in Arizona?
- Arizona car insurance rates by city
- FAQs about car insurance costs in Arizona
- The most affordable car insurance in Arizona is State Farm, which costs an average of $1,093 per year for comprehensive coverage.
- Drivers with a clean driving record pay an average of $117 per month in Arizona.
- High-risk drivers will pay an average of $2,223 annually in Arizona.
Best car insurance companies in Arizona
The average cost of car insurance in Arizona is $1,414 a year for full coverage, compared to the national average of $1,582. Drivers looking for only the minimum coverage pay an average of $682 annually but may find coverage for less, depending on the carrier.
|Provider||J.D. Power customer satisfaction rating||Estimated annual full coverage||Estimated annual minimum liability coverage|
USAA: Best for those with poor credit
Arizona Drivers with poor credit scores (550-649) may pay an average of $3,783 a year for car insurance. While each situation is different, USAA may offer the most affordable insurance rates for people with bad credit, but its policies are only available to current military members and veterans. USAA offers multiple standard policy options and high customer satisfaction ratings if you qualify.
- USAA generally has lower insurance rates compared to the competition
- It earned the highest customer satisfaction score in Arizona
- Policies are only available to current and former military members and their families
- You may be able to find more discount options with another carrier
State Farm: Most affordable coverage
In Arizona, State Farm coverage averages about $1,093 a year for drivers with a good record and was the lowest-cost option of the companies we surveyed in the state. With multiple policy and discount options and a strong track record of paying claims, State Farm is a solid choice, although you’ll have to work with an agent to complete a quote and policy purchase.
- State Farm received the second-highest customer satisfaction rating in Arizona
- It was the most affordable full-coverage carrier in Arizona
- State Farm does not offer gap insurance
- Users must complete a policy through an agent
American Family: Best for ease of use
American Family has one of Arizona's lowest car insurance costs for full and minimum coverage. Its easy-to-use website lets you choose between receiving a quote online or working directly with an agent, and customers can complete most tasks online. American Family has multiple policy options, but some discounts, like defensive driving, may not be available in Arizona.
- Customers can select quotes and coverages online or with an agent
- American Family has the second lowest full coverage cost in Arizona
- Their defensive driver discount is not available in Arizona
- Its minimum coverage policy has above-average costs
GEICO: Best for new drivers
Drivers under 20 in Arizona will likely pay an average of $3,954 a year for car insurance. GEICO offers multiple policy options and discounts for teens and young adults, allowing parents to add a teen to a parent's policy or help them purchase their own policy.
- GEICO offers multiple discounts, including 15% off for qualifying good students
- It’s a lower-cost option in Arizona for full and minimum coverage than some competitors
- GEICO had a low customer satisfaction score, earning 804 out of 1,000
- It only has agents in the Phoenix and Tucson areas
Allstate: Best for multi-driver discounts
Allstate offers a variety of discounts to Arizona drivers, including up to 25% off when customers bundle a home and auto policy together. Additionally, Allstate offers discounts for new cars, safety features, and paying your policy in full. However, it was a more expensive option, charging an average of $1,692, compared to the state average of $1,414.
- Allstate offers multiple policy add-ons, including a vanishing deductible program
- It has multiple agents throughout Arizona
- It was the second most expensive option in Arizona
- Allstate earned a low customer satisfaction score (801 out of 1,000)
Arizona auto insurance requirements
Arizona requires that all motor vehicles, including mopeds, motorcycles, and golf carts, have minimum liability insurance provided by a company licensed to do business in Arizona.
The minimum amount of car insurance that drivers are required to carry in Arizona is:
- $25,000 bodily liability for one person
- $50,000 bodily liability for two or more people
- $15,000 in property damage liability
How to choose a car insurance provider in Arizona
If you're searching for a new auto insurance provider in Arizona, use the following tips:
- Comfort level: All insurance companies have pros and cons, but make sure the company you select is easy to reach online or over the phone for questions or for filing a claim. Read customer reviews and ask for recommendations from people you trust before you sign up.
- Check their financial stability: Before buying a policy, it's a good idea to check a company’s financial stability on a site like AM Best or Standard & Poor’s. You should also confirm the company is licensed to do business in Arizona by checking with the Arizona Department of Insurance and Financial Institutions.
- Compare quotes and coverages: Request quotes from multiple companies to help you ensure you’re getting the best car insurance, and pay attention to the types and amounts of coverage included. Comparing quotes from different insurance companies helps ensure you get the best price and coverage.
How much does car insurance cost in Arizona?
Although the national average cost for full car insurance is $1,582, the average cost of car insurance in Arizona is $1,414 for full coverage and $682 a year for minimum coverage.
Phoenix residents pay the most for full coverage auto insurance ($2,132 a year on average), while Tucson drivers are likely to pay the least ($1,728 annually).
Arizona car insurance rates by city
Drivers in highly populated areas are likely to pay more for auto insurance since urban areas have a higher likelihood of theft and accidents compared to rural areas. For example, drivers in Phoenix (population of 1.6 million in 2021) pay an average of $2,132 a year, but in Mesa (population 509,475), drivers spend an average yearly cost of $1,824.
Interestingly, Scottsdale (population 242,753) will pay about $1,836 annually, even with a smaller population. This may be due to other factors, such as the higher median age in Scottsdale.
|City||Avg. annual full-coverage premium|
Our analysis was conducted using six different auto insurance marketplaces to determine the best auto insurance in each state. The data we analyzed included coverage premiums from up to 10 different insurance providers. We looked at rates by city, driver profile, and credit score, as well as factored in the impact of driving violations. This data is for comparative purposes only. Your actual quote may be different.
FAQs about car insurance costs in Arizona
What are the minimum car insurance coverage requirements in Arizona?
Arizona's minimum car insurance requirements are $25,000 bodily liability for one person, $50,000 for two or more people, and $15,000 in property damage liability.
How much does car insurance cost in Arizona?
Car insurance in Arizona costs an average of $1,414 a year for full coverage and $682 a year for minimum coverage.
Which car insurance companies cover Arizona?
Several national car insurance carriers, including Allstate, State Farm, American Family, and GEICO, issue policies in Arizona.
What is the cheapest car insurance company in Arizona?
State Farm had the cheapest full-coverage car insurance in Arizona, charging an average of $1,093 annually. USAA had the most affordable minimum coverage, charging just $335 annually for those who qualify.