Editor's note:The Uber Visa Card is no longer available. Please see our best rewards credit cards for the latest offers.
Frequent ride-sharers could earn valuable rewards toward Uber rides and more with the Uber Visa card. It was designed with Uber fans in mind and earned rewards on all of Uber’s various services, such as Uber Eats and JUMP.
It was hard not to like this no-fee credit card, with rewards extended to dining and travel purchases as well. Throw in cell phone protection, and you had a solid rewards card you could pair with other credit cards to cover the gamut of spending opportunities. But was it a good card for everyone?
Who got the Uber Visa card?
While no longer available, the Uber Visa Card was the perfect companion for frequent Uber users. Its highest rewards earning potential was in Uber rides, Uber Eats, JUMP scooter, and bike rentals. If you regularly used Uber services, this credit card may have deserved deserve a spot in your wallet. It was one of the best cards for Uber rides available. If you don't use Uber frequently, a more versatile rewards credit card might be better for you.
With the Uber Visa, rewards for dining out and some travel expenses were decent, though other rewards cards offer higher earnings in those categories. The Uber Visa card may have been best used to complement another rewards card in order to maximize earnings across categories.
Remember that this card didn't earn true cash back, which can be used to offset the cost of almost anything. Rewards came in the form of Uber Cash, which could only be redeemed with Uber, Uber Eats, and JUMP. The Uber Visa was not the best choice for those looking for a versatile cashback credit card. Better cashback cards are available with more redemption choices, such as statement credits, travel, gift cards, merchandise, and more. Check out our list of the best cashback credit cards for more details.
Uber Visa Card benefits & perks
- Cell phone protection: Your cell phone was protected against damage and theft up to a set amount when you used your Uber Visa to pay your cell phone bill.
- Free FICO score: All Barclays credit card holders can access complimentary FICO scores.
Drawbacks to the Uber Visa Card
- Limited redemptions: Because the Uber Visa wasn't a traditional cashback card, the rewards you earned could only be used to offset the cost of Uber, Uber Eats, and JUMP purchases.
Earning and redeeming with the Uber Visa Card
Best ways to earn
The best way to earn the most rewards was to set your Uber Visa as your preferred Uber payment method in your Uber app and to spend enough to earn the card's welcome bonus.
Maximizing your redemptions
Redemptions were limited with the Uber Visa Card. Rewards came in the form of Uber Cash, which could only be redeemed within the Uber brands. Any Uber Cash you earned could be transferred to your Uber account once your Uber Cash balance reached $50.
Once you transferred it to your Uber account, you could apply the money toward Uber rides, Uber Eats orders, and JUMP scooter and bike rentals. Rewards could be used on any of Uber’s ride services, such as UberXL, Uber Black, and Uber Comfort.
JUMP is limited to select large cities, so using your rewards for scooter and bike rentals may not have been an option, depending on where you live. Currently, JUMP is available in 18 U.S. cities, with some locations in Canada, Mexico, Europe, and Asia.
Uber Visa Card FAQs
Was the Uber Visa Card good?
The Uber Visa card was a good card for those that regularly used any of Uber’s services, such as Uber rides, Uber Eats, or scooter and bike rentals through JUMP.
Do Uber rewards expire?
Uber Cash never expires, so any rewards earned could be used any time you wanted.
Other cards to consider
If you aren’t a frequent Uber customer or want more versatile rewards, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card may be a better card for you. New cardholders can earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening — a $750 value when you redeem for travel through the Chase travel portal. With this card, you get access to Chase Ultimate Rewards, one of the most popular rewards programs. Your points can be redeemed for travel, hotel stays, gift cards, or merchandise, and you can also transfer them to over a dozen Chase Ultimate Rewards airline and hotel partners.
The Citi Premier® Card is another card to consider if you want to earn valuable rewards in multiple spending categories. New cardholders can earn 60,000 bonus thankyou® points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening; plus, for a limited time, earn a total of 10 thankyou® points per $1 spent on hotel, car rentals, and attractions (excluding air travel) booked on the citi travel℠ portal through june 30, 2024 — an $600 in gift cards or travel rewards value in redemptions at ThankYou.com. Points can be used for a variety of redemptions, including transfers to partner airline rewards programs.
Earn Rewards on Ride Sharing
Uber Visa Card
Why We Like It
Earn 10,000 points (valued at $100) after spending $500 in the first 90 days
See how these cards compare:
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 25% more value when redeeming rewards for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 10% anniversary point bonus each year
- $50 annual credit on hotel stays booked through Ultimate Rewards
- Premium travel protection benefits
Citi Premier® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening; Plus, for a limited time, earn a total of 10 ThankYou® Points per $1 spent on hotel, car rentals, and attractions (excluding air travel) booked on the Citi Travel℠ portal through June 30, 2024
- 3X points at restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, air travel, and hotels
- $100 annual hotel savings benefit
- No foreign transaction fee
- Rates and fees