The Chase Ultimate Rewards program is one of the most robust credit card point programs available. When you’re a cardholder of an Ultimate Rewards card, you can quickly earn rewards and easily redeem them.
If you enjoy traveling, the Chase travel portal is a huge benefit — it’s simple to use and can be an excellent way to redeem your points. Here’s how to use the portal to maximize your rewards.
What is the Chase travel portal?
The travel portal is part of the Chase Ultimate Rewards program. The portal allows you to use your points to book flights, hotel stays, rental cars, cruises, and unique experiences.
There are many Chase credit cards that can access the Chase travel portal, including:
- Bonus: Earn 50,000 points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months when redeemed through the Chase travel portal.
- Rewards: 10X points on Lyft rides, 3X points on travel (excluding $300 travel credit), 3X points at restaurants, and 1X points per $1 spent on everything else.
- Benefits: You’ll get comprehensive benefits with the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, including a $300 annual travel credit, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit, complimentary airport lounge access, travel insurance, a complimentary year of Lyft Pink (a value of $19.99 per month), $60 in annual DoorDash statement credits in both 2020 and 2021, and free DashPass benefits.
- Bonus: Earn 80,000 points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months when redeemed through the Chase travel portal.
- Rewards: Earn 5X on Lyft rides, 2X points on eligible dining and travel, and 1X points per $1 on all other eligible purchases.
- Benefits: Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include travel insurance, such as auto rental insurance (primary coverage), lost luggage reimbursement, travel accident insurance, free DoorDash DashPass benefits, more.
- Bonus: $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months.
- Rewards: Earn 5% cash back in rotating bonus categories (up to $1,500 in combined purchases per quarter) and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Benefits: There’s no annual fee and your points never expire.
- Bonus: Earn a $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months. Also earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (on up to $12,000 in spending in the first year).
- Rewards: Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% on dining and drugstore purchases, and 1.5% on all other purchases.
- Benefits: The Chase Freedom Unlimited Card has a $0 annual fee.
- Bonus: Earn 100,000 points after spending $15,000 in the first 3 months.
- Rewards: Earn 5X points on Lyft rides; 3X points on the first $150,000 spent each year on travel, shipping, internet, cable, or phone services, and advertising purchases with social media and search engines; and 1X points per $1 on everything else.
- Benefits: There are no foreign transaction fees, you’ll get select travel insurance coverage, and you’ll also get up to $600 in cell phone protection.
- Bonus: Earn $500 bonus cash back after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months.
- Rewards: Earn 5% cash back at office supply stores and on internet, cable, or phone services (up to $25,000 combined annually); 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants (up to $25,000 combined annually); and 1% cash back on everything else.
- Benefits: There’s no annual fee, and you can get additional employee credit cards at no cost. You’ll also get primary auto rental insurance and travel and emergency assistance services.
- Bonus: Earn $500 bonus cash back after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months.
- Rewards: Get 1.5% cash back on all spending.
- Benefits: There’s no annual fee, and you can get additional cards for your employees at no cost. You’ll also get primary auto rental insurance and travel and emergency assistance services.
How to use the Chase travel portal
Using the portal to book travel is one of the best ways to use your Ultimate Rewards points; just follow these six steps:
- Log into your credit card account: Log into your account using your usual sign-in information. Once you’re logged in, click on the Ultimate Rewards box.
- Select your points: Next, choose which credit card account — and what points — you want to spend, if you have more than one.
- Enter the Chase travel portal: Once you select your points, you’ll be redirected to the portal. To book your travel, click on “Use Points,” then “Explore and Book Travel.”
- Choose your travel plans: Through the travel portal, you can book hotel stays, car rentals, flights, and more. Just select which category you want to book with your points. The portal has filters you can use to search for plans that fit your needs.
- Review bookings: Next, you’ll be asked to confirm your reservation. Make sure the details are correct, including the dates and number of people included. Once you’re satisfied, click on “Begin Checkout.”
- Enter payment information: You can use your points to pay for some or all of your trip. If you don’t have enough points to cover the total cost, you can use your credit card to pay for the remaining balance. Once you enter your information and submit, your booking is confirmed.
6 smart tips for using the Chase Travel Portal
You can use the Chase Travel Portal to book your travel arrangements using your points. To get the most value from your points, follow these six tips.
1. Combine points from multiple credit cards
If you have more than one qualifying Chase credit card, you can combine the points you earned with each card. This approach will give you more points to book your travel at once, simplifying the booking process. It even allows you to transfer cashback rewards to points, giving you more points to book your travel. All of the Ultimate Rewards cards are eligible for point transfers between cards.
To do so, log into the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and click on “Combine Points.”
You can transfer points between accounts and even transfer them to another account belonging to a member of your household. There’s no limit to how many times you can transfer points.
2. Qualify for Ultimate Rewards bonuses
Redeeming your points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program can offer a better value for your points. That’s because your points are worth 25% to 50% more when booking through the portal with select cards.
For example, if you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, your points are worth 50% more when redeemed for travel through the Chase Travel Portal. That means 50,000 points could be worth $750, while they’d only be worth $500 if redeemed for statement credits or gift cards.
3. Book Southwest and Allegiant flights via phone
You can use your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to book flights on Southwest Airlines and Allegiant Air. However, you can’t do so online; you have to book them over the phone. Just call the Chase Travel Center at 866-951-6592 to book your flight with your points.
A transaction fee up to $20 may be charged for calling the Travel Center to book travel. The representative will let you know the exact service fee before you book.
4. Research local activities
With the travel portal, you can book more than just hotel stays and flights. You can also book unique activities, like sightseeing tours and hot-air balloon rides at your destination.
Depending on the location and the activity, booking an experience through Chase Ultimate Rewards could help you snag discounts.
5. You still get travel benefits
When you use your points to book your travel, you’re still covered by your card’s travel benefits. For example, if your credit card offers trip cancellation insurance or car rental coverage, you’re still entitled to those perks even though you used points to pay for your trip.
6. Earn loyalty program points
In your travel portal account, you can enter your loyalty program information for frequent flyer memberships and others. Going forward, it’s stored in the system, so you get credit for flight reservations and other purchases.
However, some hotels consider trips booked through the Chase Travel Portal to be third-party bookings, so your reservations may not count toward your loyalty program status.
Getting the most value from your cards
If you’re a Chase cardholder and qualify for the Chase Ultimate Rewards program, booking your travel through the Chase Travel Portal is a smart idea. You can get more value for your points — up to 50% more — so you could get more bang for your buck. And by using the above tips, you can get the most value from your points and your card, so you can indulge during your next trip.